The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 14, 2011, 09:38 PM   #1
stu925

Forming .303 Savage case

I did a quick search for this but came up empty. For those of you that form your own .303 Savage cases, what parent case are you using? I've seen .220Swift, 30-40 Krag, and .303 British all listed as cases that can be formed into .303 Savage. If anyone out there is forming their own cases, is any one case better than the others? The LGS up the road from me has 3 or 4 Savage 99s in stock all chambered in .303 Savage. I'm tempted to pick one up since I'm a reloader, but am a little leary due to lack of components. If I could easily form brass from a common case I'd probably snatch one up. I've always liked uncommon cartridges and think this might cure my current lever action itch.

Stu
Old November 14, 2011, 10:52 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Donnelly's book recommends using the .220 Swift, but it's an involved process, requiring at least one, and preferably two, annealing steps and multiple sizings.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 14, 2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Clark

When any old used 303Sav brass was worth a buck and used 30-30 brass was worth a dime, then forming the 303Sav brass was worth it.

Now NEW 303Sav is cheap
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/12638
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old November 14, 2011, 11:39 PM   #4
stu925

I didn't know anyone was making new brass for it. I may have to haggle with the guy that owns the shop. I checked my usual on-line sources but no one was listing brass for it. I'm glad to see someone is still making it.

Stu