The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 28, 2008, 04:51 PM   #1
alienick

Blacking out Silencers

Hi I was wondering what would be the best method of blacking out manufacturer marks on silencers? I was considering using spray paint but I don't think it would be optimal lol...
Old March 28, 2008, 04:59 PM   #2
musher

Are you trying to make the marks more visible or less visible?
Old March 28, 2008, 05:03 PM   #3
VUPDblue

use a grease pencil (black, of course) and fill in the engraving. Don't know why on earth you would want to do that, though. I like mine to be as bright as possible. That way, I can give those interested as much info as possible...
Old March 31, 2008, 11:23 AM   #4
ScottsGT

My dealer built mine, painted it with KG GunKote and THEN had it engraved. I would assume a thin spray of KG and a rebake would hide the info unless you went looking for it.
Old April 1, 2008, 12:44 PM   #5
keatsabn

Just my thoughts on this and I am NO expert, but if you try to hide, paint over , obscure the marking you MIGHT be setting yourself up for a pain in the ass time later on. Think about this, your at the range shooting your supresser a "concerned citzen" call the local Cop Shop they send a vehical. He gets there you show him your form 4 and when he goes and checks the numbers, the numbers on the can are not CLEARLY marked. You have just popped up on the radar and here comes the ATF. I am not saying that you would get stuffed and cuffed but I do see you in a small room with Barney explaining why YOU chose to try and hide the numbers. Me personnaly I like mine to stand out. Have I been stopped YUP showed him my paperwork gave a quick class on how you get one and guess what another victum of the new age crack better known as the Wonderful World of NFA
Old April 1, 2008, 01:48 PM   #6
ScottsGT

Personally I don't think painting over engraved letters would be any worse than the anodizing into the engraved SN on an AR-15 lower or any other firearm. As long as you can still read it clearly. You have not altered the numbers or attempted to hide them, unless you apply the paint so heavy that it looks like vinyl over the top. then you would have som concern.
Old April 1, 2008, 07:32 PM   #7
VUPDblue

Quote:
Personally I don't think painting over engraved letters would be any worse than the anodizing into the engraved SN on an AR-15 lower or any other firearm.
I agree 100% BATFE has regulations for engraving, both depth and height of characters. They do not specify that those characters have to be a contrasting color to the rest of the firearm. There are several suppressors available in stainless that do not have the engraving highlighted.
Old April 8, 2008, 09:26 PM   #8
alienick

Quote:
use a grease pencil (black, of course) and fill in the engraving. Don't know why on earth you would want to do that, though. I like mine to be as bright as possible. That way, I can give those interested as much info as possible...
Will the grease markings stand up to high heat? Like if I fire a lot of rounds on the suppressor, will the grease marking melt off or somehow disappear?
Old April 9, 2008, 03:09 AM   #9
Bill DeShivs

Assuming the tube is aluminum, Birchwood Casey sells a product called "Aluminum Black." Dab it on with a Q tip, and wipe it off. It will darken the lettering permanently.
Old April 27, 2008, 03:05 PM   #10
BerettaFox

I agree, I wouldn't do it unless your supressor is illegal anyways. Because if you do you'll be painting over the serial number and manufacturer name. And I have had to present my paperwork to authorities in SC on one occasion (he compared the serial number and manufacturer name with the paperwork to my supressor). If it doesn't really seem like a good idea, I wouldn't do it.
Old April 27, 2008, 04:50 PM   #11
VUPDblue

My Quest has the numbers blacked-out from the factory. It is an all stainless can finished in black liquid ceramic by TI after engraving and before it left the factory.

If you want your letters black, make 'em that way. It is not illegal.
Old April 30, 2008, 12:11 AM   #12
LiquidTension7

Where were you in SC that you had to present paperwork? I don't know of any LEOs here besides myself that would even know what a Form 4 is...and I wouldn't ask for paperwork anyway unless something was seriously fishy.
Old April 30, 2008, 08:14 AM   #13
Ricklin

LEO tax enforcement?

I find it odd that one would be required to show their Form 4 to a LEO. I've never had anyone demand to see my 1040. Is a local LEO within his rights to demand the paperwork? After all, what he is really doing is requiring you to prove you have paid your taxes, right.... or am I missing something?
Old April 30, 2008, 08:16 AM   #14
VUPDblue

What you would be providing to the LEO is that you are in legal posession of the NFA item in question. Tax has nothing to do with it. If you were carrying around your buddy's suppressor, you would be in violation even if you had a copy of his Form4 in hand.