The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 1, 2000, 03:14 PM   #1
Jarhead_22

I'm going out for whitetails near Uvalde, Texas this weekend, and I feel like a little kid getting ready for his first hunt. It looks like it's going to be pretty warm, and we have a cabin to stay in. I've got my .270 sighted in to the gnat's ass at 100 yards with 130gr Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to bring? I've never been deer hunting before when I wasn't wearing long johns!

Jarhead out.
Old November 1, 2000, 04:13 PM   #2
sjones

Yes,bring along some mosquito spray(seriously).also some clothe's for weather down to maybe30 degrees. The weather in texas can change overnight. I wish you luck. That is pretty country out there.The worst thing about hunting in texas is the cost. It costs a heck of a lot to hunt decent land as most of it is all privately owned and its big business here. I know because I am from here and I have a hard time finding a good place.
Old November 1, 2000, 07:47 PM   #3
jbgood

sjones summed it up on the weather. You can start the day off with fairly cool (and sometimes damp) weather and end up sweating in the upper 70's to 80's. It looks like the weather this weekend will be pretty mild, but maybe wet.

I suggest you think in terms of a couple of light layers for your upper body. Something that you can easily peel off if needed. Bring along a mesh cap or hat that will ventilate your head.

Also, don't forget leather boots. We have a lot of cactus and any number of things with sharp thorns that will easily penetrate the fabric type boot (making that high-tech Gortex stuff pretty worthless!). If you will be walking much to or from your hunting area, you might also consider some type of snake protection. Something like snake-proof boots, or leggings provide a lot of peace of mind.

Best of luck to you. Hunting South Texas can be awesome and I/m sure that you will enjoy yourself.

Regards,
JBGood