The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 10, 2002, 05:49 PM   #1
johnwill

Steyr 1908 (New Arrival)

Here's part of the fruits of my trip to a gunshow today. This Steyr Model 1908 7.65mm looks like a new gun, and the inside is as clean as the outside. Looks like it spent a lot of time in a sock drawer! It's the ideal mate to the other Steyr I have, the Model 1909 6.35mm. I have cornered the market on tilt barrel Steyr pistols!

Steyr Model 1908

Steyr Model 1909
Old February 10, 2002, 11:27 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

You have NOT cornered the market on 7.65's, as I have one I got at the Greensburg show last Fall. I envy you the 6.35, though. Beautiful guns!

Jim
Old February 11, 2002, 08:46 PM   #3
johnwill

I detail stripped the 7.65 pistol, and I can see that the Austrians and Germans are first cousins, they both overbuild guns! What a pile of small and well machined parts! There's nothing "rough" in there, it's all carefully crafted.

I do have one question, how do you get the recoil spring out. The obvious thing seems to be unscrew the screw on the front, but it doesn't move, and I wasn't sure it was a real screw. I'm still remembering trying to unscrew a 1911 safety years ago! Obviously, I don't want to break anything, since getting parts for some of these old guns is a real problem!
Old February 11, 2002, 11:57 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Johnwill,

Yes, it unscrews, it is probably just tight. Be sure to use a thin blade screwdriver. It is not under much pressure and nothing is going to fly.

Once the screw (actually it is a nut, with female threads) and the recoil spring are out, open the gun and pull back on the part at the top rear of the barrel that has the notch for the slide. It is the rear of the recoil spring guide and should pull right out to the rear.

Jim
Old February 12, 2002, 05:31 PM   #5
johnwill

Thanks Jim, it sure looks like it unscrews, but I wasn't getting anywhere, so I figured I'd make sure I wasn't imaging that was a screw. I was sure I had taken the one off my 1909 6.35 pistol, that's why I was a bit annoyed that I couldn't get this one off.

BTW, I got the info on the Phoenix pistol, thanks. They don't seem to know much about it, I guess it was a company that came and went rather quickly.
Old February 12, 2002, 09:39 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Snail mail does work! What will they think of next.

Jim
Old February 12, 2002, 09:59 PM   #7
johnwill

BTW, the column of print on the Remington M51 was kinda' interesting to me too, I have the .380 and the .32ACP. That looks like it's a very good set of books, too bad it's so damned expensive!