The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 2, 2008, 09:36 AM   #1
jclayto

A K31 Question..

I finally got to spend some time with my new k31 this weekend. It is a nice clean rifle and I am happy to own it. I did notice when I pull the bolt, there seems to be some hesitation at the point where the bolt rotates, it can be best described as when you pull the bolt handle to to the rear, the bolt does the rotate and then pulls back. At the point where the bolt rotates, it seems like there is a little stop and you have to pull just a little harder to get the handle to move on back.

Is this common with the 31's? I cleaned it up (didn't need much) and gave it a good lube job but it is still a stiffer pull than I would imagine.
Old September 2, 2008, 01:54 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Sounds normal to me.

Jim
Old September 3, 2008, 06:18 AM   #3
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

My 96/11 does it too. What you're feeling is the camming force required to disengage the lugs.
Old September 3, 2008, 10:12 AM   #4
HKuser

Does it cock on opening?
Old September 3, 2008, 12:20 PM   #5
jclayto

yep, it does cock on opening. I am amazed at how smooth this trigger is! Glad to hear it sounds to be normal.
Old September 3, 2008, 12:47 PM   #6
Technosavant

That's why I usually give it a good hard yank to open and a good hard shove to close. You won't break it off. The straight pull actions don't have the camming leverage of a lever-type bolt action, so it's a little harder to get the lugs engaged.
Old September 3, 2008, 01:15 PM   #7
jrfoxx

Agreed. Feel free to be rought with the bolt, as I suspect you'll be VERY hard pressed to hurt it (unless you are Chuck Norris, then all bets are off, obviously, but I know you arent, as Chuck has no need for a gun, since he can just throw a kick to within 10 feet of you, and the resulting pressure wave will can anyone nearby, so...)

Mines the same way, just work the bolt like you mean it, and you'll never even notice the slight extra bit in that spot. Still a pretty easy bolt to work, and certainly not nearly as bad as a Mosin.
Old September 3, 2008, 04:28 PM   #8
bigjack59

The K31 is one of the best rifles you will ever find. I am in Greenville, did you get yours in Anderson? WHere did you get it? Always looking out for a new place to look around.
Old September 3, 2008, 06:15 PM   #9
Mtdew

I also have a K31 and I love it.

I did find out why a few people told me to keep it on my shoulder when chambering another round, I didn't know the empty came out from the top.

I fired, brought it down and yanked on the bolt and watched as the spent cartridge came up and Smacked me on the forehead. OUCH!!! LOL.

Lesson learned the hard way. LOL!!!
Old September 4, 2008, 08:54 AM   #10
jclayto

BigJack, nice to see someone on here from this area. I have a c&r license so I ordered my k31 from www.classicarms.us they can be found a little cheaper, but I like that this guy gives you the guaranteed option of soldier ID tag and walnut stock.

In gville, I have occasionally seen a few k31's as well as other c&r guns over at Traders Gunshop on wadehampton blvd. Prices seem to be $75-100 over what your cost would be with a c&R license, so if you don't have one.. it would be the best $30 you ever spend I think that new place Allen's Arms also has a few c&r guns, but I dont remember seeing k31's.

Disclaimer, don't get a 03 FFL to save money, it will save you money, but you wind up spending more in the long run because you just have to order everything you see j/k

I have not ordered ammo yet but I cannot wait to shoot this gun!
Old September 4, 2008, 02:59 PM   #11
jclayto

One more item, I cannot seem to find a date code on this rifle. What is the best way to determine date of manufacture for k31?
Old September 4, 2008, 05:06 PM   #12
Mtdew

jclayto

Try this site.

http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/schmidt_rubin.html
Old September 4, 2008, 05:16 PM   #13
Garand Guy

Quote:
One more item, I cannot seem to find a date code on this rifle. What is the best way to determine date of manufacture for k31?
try swissrifles.com

they might have a link to trace the serial numbers. Also, try removing the butt plate. There should be a Roman numeral and a number. The Roman numeral is the month the stock was made, followed by the year. Mine is
VII35. (July 1935).

They numbered almost every part of the rifle, even the underside of the hand guard. The only number on mine that doesn't match is on my bolt.

If your rifle has been refurbished by the Swiss Arsenels, the year will be stamped on the tang behind the bolt.

I love my K-31. Enjoy!
Old September 5, 2008, 07:19 AM   #14
DrLaw

Two other things to try if out are new to the K31.

First, unscrew the buttplate and look for a former possessor's tag. It will have the name of the person, the unit that they were in, and where it was. A lot of Swiss K31's have this tag, which the soldier who had the gun put there.

Second, for a lot of information about curio's and relics and K31's in particular, go to www.surplusrifleforum.com.

Keep both that and this site bookmarked. Can't go wrong with either!

The Doc is out now.
Old September 5, 2008, 01:53 PM   #15
bigjack59

JCLAYTO:

THanks for the note back. I have all my paperwork in for the C$R, so I am off to get fingerprinted. I already have my eye on a Nagant pistol and som,e other stuff I can;t seem to find. Traders is where I normally hang out, but I reeally need to get to Allen Arms, all my buddies tell me it is really nice.

My K31 came with the soldier's tag. I couldn't be happier with it. Hope you get lots of good shooting out of it!
Old September 6, 2008, 09:25 AM   #16
Ricklin

Fingerprinted?

I did not need fingerprints for my C+R app. Or is the fingerprinting for something else?
No one has a set of my fingerprints, and I prefer to keep it that way!
Old September 6, 2008, 09:33 AM   #17
jdc1244

Quote:
I did not need fingerprints for my C+R app. Or is the fingerprinting for something else?
No one has a set of my fingerprints, and I prefer to keep it that way!
That was a head-scratcher for me as well – perhaps he’s getting his CCW permit too?

Back on topic:

Another happy/impressed k31 owner here, remarkably smooth bolt – it’s almost like shooting a semi-auto.
Old September 8, 2008, 11:29 AM   #18
SP Shop Foreman

Another excellent site and a wealth of information is www.swissrifles.com and the site forums at http://theswissriflesdotcommessageboard.yuku.com

Allen
SP

www.swissproductsllc.com
Old September 8, 2008, 01:50 PM   #19
jclayto

just so everyone knows swissrifle.com has been dead for a while now. I see the site recommended on lots of forums, but it hasn't worked for a while. It was a great site and I hate to see it go.

Thanks for the swiss message board link, looks like a good place to do some reading!
Old September 8, 2008, 02:01 PM   #20
SP Shop Foreman

Nope. Its alive and kicking. It never has been off line since its beginning 9 years ago. The main site name was separated from the forums for expediency, but its all still there. Just click on the links I posted above.

Allen
SP

www.swissproductsllc.com