The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 25, 2012, 05:17 AM   #26
Sport45

The gun is moving before the bullet leaves the barrel. Different holds/grips will get different impact points.

I too, would expect two different, accurate shooters to hit two different places on the target using the same sight picture.

On the card, are you sure anticipating recoil results in high/right hits? I thought that would manifest itself in pushing the gun down resulting in low hits.
Old December 25, 2012, 06:03 AM   #27
sfmedic

if the sight picture is lined up the same then the strike of the round will be the same . In reference that graphic - bcd line up like it lines up - you could weld a steel bar from the rear site to the center of the bull - the lineup is what it is

what i am missing i guess is what goes on behind the rear site that could change the strike of the round if they have a correct sight picture.

I BZO / Zero guns for students all the time - when its zeroed its zeroed anyone can hand a gun to anyone else and get the same results. My job is to teach the students how to get consistent accurate shot-groups using the fundamentals after the zero is good. I've never been unable to do that and have never had to physically change the sights because of some "individual sight picture"

I think the high shot comes from the cowboy shooters stuff - I dont see high very often and when i do its having the front sight high in the sight picture - easy fix
Old December 25, 2012, 07:33 AM   #28
Sport45

But on many revolvers the line from the top of the rear sight to the top of the front sight lines up on the target well above the bore axis. Do you really think everyone is going to allow the muzzle to climb the exact same amount as the bullet travels down the barrel?
Old December 25, 2012, 09:13 AM   #29
JimPage

There is no doubt that different people had different points of impact with what they assume to be the same. I don't know exactly what the difference can be attributed to, all I have are different theories why. But it IS a fact that it happens.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old December 25, 2012, 12:10 PM   #30
btmj

sfmedic, your graphic is excellent, and it makes it easier to discuss this target.

Your sight picture shown is how I sight a handgun, but others prefer (or naturally use) a different sight picture. I know many shooters who use a 6:00 hold, and they want the target centered above the front sight post. How high above? well, that is hard to say, and it is one reason why I like to center the target on the top edge of the front sight.