The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 29, 1999, 11:29 AM   #1
Mark THG

just got back my 1911. Had it coated by Sprinco. I must say it's absolutely beutiful. They are using a moly di-sulfide (sp) coating that is like guncoat. They call it Spincoat. I had my gun done in an OD green frame and a black slide. They claim it's highly resitant to holster wear and acidic skin. Only time will tell. The gun was nickel and I was pitting through the nickel and an overcoat of K-kot (clear) This is a really nice gun so I hope that it holds up. They have about 8 colors available including 2-3 camo variations. They also do rifle's and shotguns. ...Mark THG

------------------
www.customholsters.com
M/D ENTERPRISES Custom Concealment Holsters
[email protected]

Old January 29, 1999, 12:38 PM   #2
Morgan

Mark - do they have a website? Let us know in six months or so how its holding up!
Old January 29, 1999, 08:41 PM   #3
Mark THG

They do have a web site. sprinco.com Unfortunatly they don't have any photo's of the guns up there. It is really pretty. I'll let you guys know how it holds up.

------------------
www.customholsters.com
[email protected]

Old January 30, 1999, 12:31 AM   #4
Grayfox

Mark,
How much did it cost? I've been wanting to refinish my commander for some time.
Old January 30, 1999, 11:50 AM   #5
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

I would like cost and wear info as well. I am seeking a good coating for my M500 and Sub-9. Perhaps my SKS and FR8, as well...
Old February 1, 1999, 02:17 AM   #6
Ivanhoe

is that stuff matte or glossy?
Old February 11, 1999, 06:28 PM   #7
Mark THG

Well it runs around $200.00 for the complete gun. Min'es 2 tone. It is matte finish and a little rough to the touch, they parkerize the gun first then put on the sprincoat (trade name) I did around 200 presentations over the last weekend at a gun show and didn't notice any wear at all.They also have glossy finishes if you like that better. They have colors from Black to white including some awful pinks,yellow, orange, blue, gray (light and dark) silver just like aluminum and a few others I don't remember. seems to be nice stuff. I'll keep you guys updated as things progress

------------------
www.customholsters.com
[email protected]

Old February 12, 1999, 11:57 AM   #8
Walt Welch

The general consensus among SW US gunsmiths is that Molybdenum disulfide coating is best. It is tops in corrosion protection (although a Tuf-Cloth will help), but does wear more quickly than hard chrome.

The advantage is that the MoS2 can be easily stripped and reapplied. Walt
Old February 14, 1999, 12:36 AM   #9
Mark THG

Before I went with the moly coating I spoke with Checkmate out in Florida. They are pretty big on hard chrome. I told them that evidently I had an acidic skin problem as I had started to pitt through a nickel finish on my Gov't model. They said that hard chrome was the best for holster wear it was not very corrosion resitant and it might not be the best for me. I do appreciate their honesty. I went with the moly coating as it's supposed to be very holster resitant ( another problem for me) and just as important, resitant to corrosion. Only time will tell

------------------
www.customholsters.com
Gunleather so nice it's almost a crime to conceal it
[email protected]