The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2012, 04:01 PM   #26
Unclenick
Staff

CherokeeT,

Not doubting you, but there are a number of factors involved that can turn the tables as stability gets closer to marginal. You wouldn't be the first fellow to get a bullet to shoot well that others with the same nominal twist rate couldn't stabilize. Barrels have tolerances not only in diameters but in twist rate and in how constant the twist rate is, and these can push a marginally stable bullet over the edge if they don't happen to accumulate favorably. Dan Lilja has some discussion of that, here.

In this instance we seem to have ample evidence that Browninghunter's barrel isn't happy with that bullet, and going to a larger gyroscopic stability factor would seem to be the easiest route to correction. He could also wait for the late July, early August heat and humidity and see if they don't do better for him then, as those conditions lower atmospheric density, improving stability.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 5, 2012, 09:38 PM   #27
browninghunter86

Unlcenick: if my range doesnt fix their rifle range soon I will be staying indoors all summer. The range is only about 1 year old and the pistol range has a shelter with wood bench and trap range has a shelter. But rifle range.......150% pure sun and heat with no shade or shelter or even trees nearby to help!!!

Or convince my wife to stand there with an umbrella over me while I shoot
Old May 6, 2012, 07:43 AM   #28
Jimro

I feel bad that we haven't helped solve the problem....yet.

But since you have Varget available I'd try that to see if it changes anything. Try a normal ladder workup and then five rounds each at 24, 24.4 and 24.8 grains of powder (if your normal ladder workup showed no pressure signs).

I am very interested to see the results of such a test, because we know that your barrel is stabilizing a large portion of the bullets it throws down range, so I'm guessing that a powder that reduces muzzle blast somewhat will have better results. Not sure if Varget is that powder, but you have it on hand and a lot of competitors use it.

Jimro
Old June 8, 2012, 03:07 PM   #29
browninghunter86

NEW OCW Work-up for 68 BTHP

Ok think I am finally on to something with this load out of my DPMS 16" 1:9 twist

Shot today round robin 5 shot groups at 100 yds. Wind was kinda strong coming from 10 oclock position

KVB 5.56m primer
R P once fired brass
TTL 1.740"
Case weight: within +/- 0.1 gr
Varget powder

Old June 8, 2012, 05:36 PM   #30
m&p45acp10+1

Glad to see things looking up for you. I would try again with 12 rounds of each loaded from the 24.0 to 24.9 shooting 1 at each target waiting at least 5 minutes between shots. Looks like 3 grouped close on all of the targets, so try doing 4 times, and then over laying them with each other. Then take the middle of the weight that they give the most consitint group, and work on that.

Good shooting by the way.
Old June 8, 2012, 06:46 PM   #31
browninghunter86

m&p: preciate it. I was beginning to think this reloading was a waste of my time for my guns but finally getting some results.

Although Varget is PITA to meter but oh well
Old June 8, 2012, 07:54 PM   #32
Jimro

24.6 grains of powder is what I use under 75 grain and 80 grain bullets. I'm using Power Pro 2000-MR which is similar in burn rate to Re-15 which is "similar" to Varget.

Someone once told me that 24 grains of pretty much any powder in the 4895/4064/Re15 burn range is good in the 223 with match bullets. So far that has held true.

That 24.6 gr group looks promising. Also try a Lee Perfect powder measure, if it doesn't throw exact you can always charge under and trickle up.

Jimro
Old June 8, 2012, 09:46 PM   #33
browninghunter86

Jimro: that is what I have and is how I have to do it currently. Just adds more time but oh well.
Old June 9, 2012, 08:00 AM   #34
Jimro

I hear you about time, if I ever go back to using a stick powder I'll get a Chargemaster to make my life easier.

Jimro
Old June 9, 2012, 08:40 AM   #35
m&p45acp10+1

My Lee powder measure is pretty much dedicated to pistol charges only these days. I have the Hornady Auto Charge, and load almost all of my rifle rounds with it. Trail Boss loads for 7.62x54R I use a dipper for. Though I admit if it had not been gifted to me I would not have it. I am just too cheap to pay that much for one. Though if it stopped working I would end up buying another one.