The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 11, 2009, 12:11 PM   #1
ar15man2009

casting rifle bullets

I just now started up loading for my marlin 30-30 and i bouhgt myself a lee 2 cavity 170 grain mold for it. I also got in 50 lbs of linotype today for the bullets. I was wondering how much linotype i should put in compared to Straight wheel weights? I have heard 1 lb to 3 lb,but that is just from one source.

I will be using IMR 3031
cci large rifle primers
gas check 170 grain flat nose bullet

And they will be shot from a Marlin 30-30 with micro groove rifling so the manual says to stay below 1600 feet per second.Any other hints or ideas would also be greatly appreciated.thanks
Old July 11, 2009, 12:40 PM   #2
HOGGHEAD

Casting

First of all 1600 fps is definitely not the ceiling for cast bullets. Especially if you are using gas checks. I have pushed GC'd bullets in my 30-06 a lot faster than that.

Alloy mixtures are really a personal prefernce as far as I am concernerd. I have seen so many combinations recommended that is is not even funny.

Personally if I were you I would try straight WW to start with. Especially if you are going to GC the bullet and keep your velocities low.

Did you slug the barrel, and are you going to be using a sizer?? And what lube are you going to use. Those are the proper questions right now.

Trying to trick out your alloy when you are just getting started is just not the way to start out IMO. Keep it simple to start with.

However if you really want to mix your alloy then get the Lyman manual and follow their instruction to the letter. That really is the bible of casting. And you will need to buy some Tin also. The last I bought was $6 a pound. Tom.
Old July 11, 2009, 01:45 PM   #3
ForneyRider

Lyman has a bunch of cast lead loads in their book.

1800-2100fps is pretty common with linotype.