The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 22, 2006, 03:21 PM   #1
zeisloft

Hog vs .45ACP (sorta graphic)

new03021.JPG

new03521.JPG
The weather turned warmer yesterday, a pleasant 53 according to the readout on my rearview mirror. I struck out for the canyon with no expectations, sorta figured it would be a quick and uneventful run. 40 down and 40 back, maybe burn 5 mi driving around on the property. Well, that was not to be the case. I had one boar in the corral, trapped him in another trap about 2 weeks ago and transferred him to the “big house” so he would have more room to stretch his legs. Also, I have a feeder and 2 halves of a 55gal drum wired to the ground and fence to hold water for the beast. He was looking a little thin, healthy, but thin. I figure him at about 175 on a 200# frame. A good catch, but not worth the 70mi drive to sell him and only him. He would have brought between 50 & 60 cash American dollars, unless the prices went up as they claim they are supposed to. But at this moment time is money and I have more money than time. He probably would fit on a plate alright but in my mind, a malnourished boar hog does not sound as tasty as what is already in the freezer, and again, time. So I opted to be a nice guy, I drew my pistol and opened the trap door, expecting that he had been saving up his energy for the last two weeks. I was prepared for a terrible mauling. However, he opted to be a gentleman about the whole thing. However, this did not stop me from keeping the ole front sight glued to the back of his head till he was well on down the canyon. I doubt he will be back any time soon.

I guess he realized I had done him a good turn, so he returned the favor. Moments after he was out of site, two tasty little bacon wraps came fast trotting out from the point of ole Spots last sighting. In my minds eye, I could see him bowling them over on the narrow trail down the canyon. I suspect the two were discussing this event as they passed within 30yds of me. “Damn, some pigs think they own the trail!” and “Road hog!” was as close as I could translate from their grunts and low squeals as they jogged up. “What the crap”, I heard myself mutter, looked around to see if that was me, yes, that was me. I looked down and my pistol was still in my hand, I hadn’t had a chance or thought to holster it yet. Seems like providence. These two were loping along towards me muttering about the A-hole who had cut them off in traffic. Probably there were more than two, as I have photos from the game cam of a pack of ten about this size, and at this size they generally bunch up. I imagine Spots had rammed through the lot of them like a house of cards, knocking the leaders off the trail and over the precipice, turning the lot of them back in a fierce retreat, and these two were either pressed against the crag or completely run over. Just lucky to survive the encounter I guess…well, perhaps lucky is not the exact turn of phrase to describe this chance encounter.

So there I was, pistol in hand, two pert and chirpy animated 45 pounders closing the 30 yd distance. So I did what any of us would, I tightened my grip with my strong hand, found my front sight and fired on the lead hog just as my left hand found its comfy place around the frame of “that shot out old Frankenstein Gold Cup” (term applied to my beloved pistol by a local gunsmith before he saw it shoot). The old war horse barked twice and thunder rolled across the canyon, reverberating and echoing off the rocks and bluffs. This is one of my new favorite sounds. Firing at animate targets in the field, the initial percussion does not sound the same as it does when target shooting without hearing protection. But do it in a canyon, and the sound rolls. Rolls like thunder, you can feel the sound follow the lay of the land, you can almost see the sound bend around the breaks in the canyon walls, when these echoes collide at the foot of the coulees, they create an additional clap. This feel persists until it is but a dull roar like the sound of a locomotive engaging a string of cars in a distant train yard. Then, nothing. Nothing but a but shy of a hundred pounds of hog fresh laying in a pile 22yds away. The first one took his just above the “between the eyes” shot. In my opinion, this is the preferred shot placement based on the anatomy of the hog skull. Behind the eyes, the angle of slope rises, and the way they carry their head in a trot makes for an impact more closely orthogonal to the target, lower and you run the risk of bouncing a bullet off the slope of the skull. However, on pigs of this size, it is a non-issue as they are fairly light boned.

The second pig startled and hesitated, turned his head with the body to follow, then the shot. Number two got his at the base of the brain, just behind and below the ear. He went down across the back of his brethren. No kicks, no squeals, clean and humane.

Once I got them taken apart, an easy task at this size, I headed out. Driving past the cut milo field, I noticed some movement in the near darkness hazily illuminated by my passing headlights. Some 50ish yds out in the field was a lone rooter. I killed the truck, lights and all and pulled up my .222 to have a look through some good glass. The boar stopped his rooting and began making his way to a well used crossing in the fence some 120 yds from where I sat. I watched for a moment, studying his habits. No great sense of alarm, just a leisurely trot towards the crossing. I set the rifle down and grabbed the .45 and another magazine for the trek. I climbed out of the truck and paralleled the fence to the low spot. I could see the shadow growing and following the path I had envisioned. I backed off the fence and took cover alongside a juniper some 7 or 8 yards off the trail and 5yds from the fence, the wind was cooperating with me, for once. I made up my mind the best shot would be the pause at the fence. I closed my eyes hard and counted to 10. Black sights and a black target are hard to see in the dark. I opened my eyes and could see everything like twilight, for a moment, then it began to fade. The boar did not pause at the fence as I had hoped; he just dipped his snout and pushed on, no hesitation. That was my shot, what happened, I wondered. Why didn’t the pistol speak? No time like the present, front sight, front sight, crap, night vision is gone. I chose what I could see clearly, a patch of dirt at the crossing, this lighter colored background allowed me to find my front sight, I maintained my alignment and shifted my target to the hog, now trotting along broadside at 8yds completely oblivious to my presence. I chose my target and waited for a moment, waiting for him to cover a few more feet so he would be beyond perpendicular. A quick mental check, is this “doable”, is this a “good” shoot, is my safety off? Yes, yes, yes. I allowed the hog to walk about 3 yards beyond perpendicular, and took the behind and below the ear shot. Down and out, success. The shot broke the spine at the base of the brain and the bullet lodged in the skull. No kicking, no squealing, it was like Thor’s mighty hammer had fallen.

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old February 22, 2006, 08:18 PM   #2
armedtotheteeth

You sure can handle that 45. I shot one from 3 feet ( she was out to eat me) with my 45 right between the eyes. She dropped her head and was after me again. I emptied a whole magazine on her head putting out an eye and blowing off an ear. The slide on my empty 45 stayed open and she walked off. With a really bad headache, a ring in her missing ear and blind in one eye. I think these where cast lead bullets. And she was a really big hog. No doubt she died eventually, but i almost died too. I made the mistake of creeping up on her and her piglets in 5 foot high hay. Wont do that again. Ill stick with a the rifle on the big ones. Nice shot though.
Old February 22, 2006, 11:12 PM   #3
NarcSgt

All I can say is nice shootin!! I read the story of the your trip and a line from Full Metal Jacket comes to mind. The scene is when "Joker" received his orders to go to Vietnam and his MOS was in the press corps. The Drill Instructor says, "You are a killer, not a writer, you think you are some kind of Mickey Spilane?" Just kidding, nice Job!

Let me know next time you go, take me with you!!!!!
Old February 23, 2006, 09:25 AM   #4
zeisloft

Back on the boards eh Sergeant? Hows your dog?
~z

Old February 23, 2006, 11:49 AM   #5
azredhawk44

Are those pigs or javelina? Sound really small for hogs. The pics of the first two look like javelina, but the last one looks twice as big.

Was the big one you guessed weighing in at 175# a hog? Never heard of javelina getting that big. Woulda been neat to see what 45acp does when trying to hunt a big hog like that guy.

45acp will tackle a javelina no problem, though.

Nice shooting!
Old February 23, 2006, 12:35 PM   #6
zeisloft

azredhaw, all hogs, I'm up in the TX Panhandle, no peckered collaries up here. Remember, hogs start out small, I'll post you a pic of some little ones, about 3-5#. Attached here is the one I had in the pen, sorry, not much in the background for reference, you'll have to take me on my word as to the weight. The .45 would have dispached him just fine, but that would be in a pen, waiting for the shot, downward angle, etc. I have taken them in the field at this size under the right conditions, but usually reach for something bigger for large hogs.
~z
new 0191.JPG

Old February 23, 2006, 12:41 PM   #7
zeisloft

azredhawk, heres some small hogs, and heres what they call a "hog problem"
~z
D-gamecam 019.jpg

046.jpg

Old February 23, 2006, 01:45 PM   #8
azredhawk44

That's neat!

I gotta get one of those game cameras. It must give you a really good idea of where to look for critters and when, aside from sign. I don't get to disappear into the desert or hills often enough anymore with my new job. Leaving one of those cameras for a week and coming back to check it with my laptop would give me a good idea if I am wasting my time in any particular corner of the world.
Old February 23, 2006, 02:27 PM   #9
zeisloft

pretty handy indeed, I'm just using a hundred dollar model from Moultrie (digital). Very handy. Its amazing who is around when you arent.
~z

Old February 23, 2006, 11:40 PM   #10
NarcSgt

Yeah, I check the board once and a while. Concho is good, Ill probably bring him in next week when I get back from Austin.
Old March 4, 2006, 10:26 AM   #11
LTC_Para

gosh thats awesome, i really want to go boar hunting

hopefully next year
Old March 5, 2006, 01:24 AM   #12
dgc940

You must enjoy typing as much as shooting!
Old March 5, 2006, 02:41 AM   #13
impact

I corked a med size hog in the back of the head with a 45 Colt. A hunter made a bad shot and I put down the hog. The hog was down but in bad shape so I took it out.

Thats some good shooting! I don't think I would hunt hog with a 45 acp. But 45 and 9mm is what I would use for backup.

I have a friend that shot a Black Bear with a 38 super and put it down with one shot. It's kinda of a funny story because he got busted for shooting in the city limits up in Alaska . I don't remember what city he was in at the time

I also know another guy that shot a hog with a 9mm. He shot the hog with a MP5. A legal MP5 that is! He said he was surprised how fast the hog dropped when he pulled the trigger. I only wish I had the money to own a MP5. I shot one one time. Nice gun!

Last edited by impact; March 7, 2006 at 10:16 PM.
Old March 5, 2006, 02:34 PM   #14
PSE

anything bigger than a 22mag on pigs is overkill. You can kill a pig w/ a 22 EVERYTIME and shoot it anywere you want.

as long as you WANT to shoot it right behind the ear.
Old March 7, 2006, 04:13 PM   #15
Dirty_Harry

Nice shootin

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old March 7, 2006, 08:20 PM   #16
Wild Bill Bucks

.308 150grain minimum for MY hogs.

.44 Magnum Super Red Hawk for BACK-UP.
Old March 8, 2006, 04:22 PM   #17
Boarhunter

I have a hunt planned for mid-May in Crossville, Tennessee, and a foul-tempered Taliban Russian hog in the 300 pound plus range will be my intended victim. My primary...and sole...firearm will be a Springfield Armory stainless 45acp. Dogs. Close range. Hardball. Ought to make for an interesting hunt and an even more interesting story thereafter. What do you think?

Boarhunter

Ps: I will be taking a couple of US Government trained federals along on the hunt, just in case I need some back-up....
Old March 8, 2006, 08:06 PM   #18
BIGR

Great hunting.......
Old March 9, 2006, 12:04 PM   #19
Lasergrips

First post.
Long time reader, first time posting.

I work for Crimson Trace just so ya'll know.

We went hog hunting in Texas in November with some editors and writers to try Lasergrips on hogs.
The experience was exceptional!
We used S&W 629 PC in .44 Mag along with 1911's as our main guns.
At night, we had some Lasergrips in IR made for the AR platform and used night vision goggles to spot the hogs.
Again, a blast.

We are going back to Texas next week to film Raging Boars III along with S&W and Cor-Bon.

If you've never used a laser to hunt with, I highly recommend it.
It changes the way you hunt, kinda like a bow vs. a rifle.

If this post is deemed advertorial, feel free to remove it.
I just wanted to pass on an exciting way to hunt hogs and other varmints.

Travis
Old March 11, 2006, 09:41 AM   #20
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Welcome, Travis.

If we were offended by everyone in the industry who believes in their products, we'd have to ban most of the expertise on these forums. I've not used CT's on hunting pieces, but I swear by them for my pocket guns and believe they are more than practical on most defensive handguns. You guys have come a whole long way in terms of reliability and function.

Cudos. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.
Rich
Old March 11, 2006, 08:56 PM   #21
impact

Quote:
First post.
Long time reader, first time posting.

I work for Crimson Trace just so ya'll know.

We went hog hunting in Texas in November with some editors and writers to try Lasergrips on hogs.
The experience was exceptional!
We used S&W 629 PC in .44 Mag along with 1911's as our main guns.
At night, we had some Lasergrips in IR made for the AR platform and used night vision goggles to spot the hogs.
Again, a blast.

We are going back to Texas next week to film Raging Boars III along with S&W and Cor-Bon.

If you've never used a laser to hunt with, I highly recommend it.
It changes the way you hunt, kinda like a bow vs. a rifle.

If this post is deemed advertorial, feel free to remove it.
I just wanted to pass on an exciting way to hunt hogs and other varmints.

Travis
Hello Travis.

I did the night vision and the laser at night thing. I did have one problem. The night vision was to sensitive to the laser. When I brought the laser up to the hog the hole hog lit up like a christmas tree because of the morning dew on the hog. This was at about 2 AM.

It's pretty neat that you can see the whole beam and it's the color yellow. I did do all this with gen 1 night vision. Maybe I need better night vision? Or even better a night vision scope.