The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2009, 11:52 PM   #1
Dave R

The Joys of a New Load

Went varmit hunting the other day with a new load I worked up for my .223.

Had been using a 45gr. Sierra spitzer softpoint over 26gr. of H335. Shot pretty well for me, and had decent terminal performance.

But I haven't been able to find that bullet, lately. So I tried a 40gr. Hornady V-Max over 27 gr of H335 (worked up to that load, of course.)

Noticeably more accurate. I made longer hits more often. Significantly better terminal performance. It disassembled the varmits in a most satisfying way.

Isn't it a hoot when a new load increase your enjoyment of the sport?
Old April 16, 2009, 07:22 AM   #2
Sevens

Quote:
Isn't it a hoot when a new load increase your enjoyment of the sport?
Are you kidding? It's the BEST part of reloading, which is (in my opinion) even more enjoyable than owning/collecting/shooting in the first place.

So, yeah, I'd have to say that getting an "idea", gathering the components, putting some rounds together, and then getting them on paper, watching them feed and function, show safe at inspection, print tight groups on paper and THEN perform on target is a HOOT!
Old April 16, 2009, 11:45 AM   #3
jtuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens
Are you kidding? It's the BEST part of reloading, which is (in my opinion) even more enjoyable than owning/collecting/shooting in the first place.

So, yeah, I'd have to say that getting an "idea", gathering the components, putting some rounds together, and then getting them on paper, watching them feed and function, show safe at inspection, print tight groups on paper and THEN perform on target is a HOOT!
That is my favorite part too. I'm thinking about buying a new rifle just so I have something new to load for.
Old April 16, 2009, 02:43 PM   #4
James R. Burke

It's great hearing good, and fun posts. That's what it is all about. Having fun. I love making up new loads to try, that is the best part of it. Keep having fun!
Old April 26, 2009, 03:44 AM   #5
D1lazarus

I have been running 50gr V-max rounds at 25gr of H335 and it makes prairie dogs go splat real well. I won't even say what it does to little ol' gophers.

The next load I need to work up is for 50gr Varmint Grenades out of an 18" 1:9 if anyone has some suggestions or has a pet load info would be great.
Old April 26, 2009, 04:11 AM   #6
Dingoboyx

Good onya mate

Way to go