The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which big caliber Glock?
Glock 21- fullsize .45 ACP 24 27.91%
Glock 30- compact .45 ACP 29 33.72%
Glock 29- compact 10mm 16 18.60%
Glock 20- fullsize 10mm 17 19.77%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 7, 2012, 07:47 PM   #26
orionengnr

I have owned several Glocks (note the use of the past tense).

However, I am currently looking at a G20SF, because I am a recent convert to the 10mm cartridge.

While I enjoy my current 10mm 1911, the lure of a 15+1 10mm that costs ~$550 and weighs about what my SS 9+1 round 1911 weighs is pretty strong...especially for an HD pistol.
Old December 8, 2012, 08:34 AM   #27
khegglie

.45 Glock

Had both the G21 and G30 at one time. The G21 was too big for iwb carry and only offered a 2 and advantage over the smaller G30. Eventually ditched the G21, carry the G30 or G27 for cc.
Old December 8, 2012, 09:20 AM   #28
COSteve

Quote:
I am not a glock fan at all but I still voted. I picked the glock 30 because there are very few models being offered in 10mm and the number of companies making it are few and far between. so in essence, the guns are hard to find, the ammo is hard to find, the ammo is too expensive to stockpile reasonably, and if a part of your gun ever does break parts are also going to be a PITA to find. the 45ACP just makes more sense.
It's quite evident that tahunua001 doesn't own a Glock. If he did, he'd know that the receivers of the Glock 20 and 21 are exactly the same, including all inner parts as is the case with the Glock 29 and 30. Further, the only differences in the slides between the two calibers, other than the barrel, are the extractors as all other slide parts are identical too. Further, many people handload as I do for both calibers (and 8 others as well) and the 10mm is actually cheaper to reload for than the 45acp after you have a supply of cases because of the lighter bullet weights (bullets being the most expensive component). All large caliber firearms are expensive to shoot unless you handload. If you do, the costs are relatively the same between 40, 45, 10mm as they are between 30-06, 308, 30-30, 45-70, etc. The differences are measured in 1/10s of a cent. However, .223 is cheaper because of the small bullet weights.
Old December 9, 2012, 12:45 AM   #29
Terry A

My Glock 21SF has been flawless. feeds any type and brand of 45ACP. Also consider the widespread availability of .45ACP ammo.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old December 9, 2012, 06:10 AM   #30
RT

21SF for self defense/ ammo availability
20SF if you want a woods gun/ "magnum" autoloader
Old December 9, 2012, 11:17 PM   #31
Sevens

I bought the Glock 29 in 2008 just after I got my carry license because I've long been a fan of the 10mm as I grew up reading a lot of Jeff Cooper in my formative years. I own a S&W 1006 but wanted something smaller for carry, so the Glock 29 was my choice. It was a small bit of "I think 10mm is powerful enough for carry and I can shoot it well" mixed in with a lot of "Man, if I ever get a license to carry, I wanna carry a 10mm! " Hey--at least I'm honest about it.

It's still my carry gun and I've run nearly 4,000 rounds through it since I got it.

I don't like Glocks
--But I shoot this pistol very well.
--It's absolutely dead-nuts reliable.
--It's much more accurate that I think it should be for having a grip I don't like and a 3.78" barrel.
--I shoot it as accurately and well and quickly with follow-up shots as I think I should "need" to be able to shoot it.

I still don't like Glocks.
I hope to never own another one. I truly mean that.
That means -- I hope this one never breaks, gets stolen, or gets locked up in an evidence locker.

It also means: I have shot full size, compact, sub-compact and competition model Glocks in 9mm, .40cal, .357 Sig, 10mm, and .45 Auto and I simply don't care for them. I don't enjoy them, I don't want to own another.

This one that I carry? I love this pistol. I don't want another.
Old December 9, 2012, 11:32 PM   #32
Sevens

Quote:
I have a G20 and did have a G29. The G29 has too short of a barrel to get any potential out of the 10mm. I could not find a reload combo that could get the G29 up to 10mm spec. You would be better off getting smaller G27 with more rounds. The 10mm needs a longer barrel.
This may be your experience, but it's not the reality that I have easily and routinely accomplished. And I don't mean to be flippant by using those terms -- I'm simply trying to express that I've returned fine numbers without going great gonzo with over-max, ball-bustin', brass-killing loads. I have not had to get crazy with dangerous handloads to return very encouraging chrono numbers with handloads.

Using 180gr FMJ slugs, I return a 10-shot average of 1,057 FPS with a handload that is WELL under published max and fun to shoot, using Alliant Power Pistol. I've shot thousands of these. I have room to advance this load in search of more speed, but I simply haven't bothered.

More 180gr FMJ pushed by a very mid-range charge of Longshot repeatedly gives me 1,136 FPS average. That's a middle of the road load.

When I push the Longshot up near (but STILL under) published max, I return 1,209 FPS all day long. That's an average velocity, not a "one shot peak on a 105 degree day."

Easily available factory Winchester Silvertip load out of my Glock 29 returns an average just over 1,100 FPS. That's a 175-grain slug.

And my current carry load is the Buffalo Bore 180 grain JHP and it returns real-world chrono verified numbers of 1,259 FPS with a 180 grain slug. That's 633 ft-lbs of energy. It's expensive ammo, but it runs.

All of the above quoted real-world chrono numbers are from loads out of my own personal every-day-carry gun, an MML-prefix Glock 29.

Last edited by Sevens; December 10, 2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: typo fix
Old December 10, 2012, 10:58 AM   #33

Quote:
I hope this one never breaks, gets stolen, or gets locked up in an evidence locker.
ROFLOL.
Old December 10, 2012, 07:27 PM   #34
Oceanbob

The Glock 29 is my favorite carry weapon. I own 2. And it is dead-nuts-reliable.

I run Silvertip or Underwood. It you feel the need, you can run a longer barrel which is almost as long as my G20 barrel. But SEVENS is right; no need to do that because the weapon has PLENTY of firepower.

I run the factory barrels as well as a STORM LAKE and a ported LONEWOLF. The ported barrel I bought because Lonewolf was out of stock on the normal length barrel so I figured I would just buy the ported barrel and Cut it short in my machine shop. Never got around to it...

I reload 10 as well. But with the Winchester 175 Grain Silvertip and the awesome (really awesome) offering from Underwood ammo....I just reload for practice ammo to save money.

This thread needs some photos..!

Be well
Bob

Tags
10mm , 45 acp , edc , glock