The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 26, 2011, 01:29 PM   #1
skimann2000

S&W 5906 polishing

I have a S&W 5906 and would like to polish the finish to a bright finish. Is this a easy project or should I take it to a shop to have it done? Any suggestions and or recomendations will be appreciated.
Thanks
Old December 26, 2011, 03:37 PM   #2
Te Anau

If youre patient,get some Flitz and a rag and polish away every night while watching TV.You might be amazed at the transformation.
Old December 26, 2011, 03:40 PM   #3
Wishoot

^^^^^^^

This.

A small amount of Flitz, a few rags and a good movie was all it took to bring my 4006 back to life. Easy as can be.
Old December 26, 2011, 03:41 PM   #4
geetarman

My gut feeling tells me you are going to kick yourself if you do.

If you really must do that, you should probably take it to someone who has the equipment to do it right.

A hand polish, unless you are VERY carefull, will end up with swirl marks where you change direction polishing the little things. Those are the things people are going to see if you don't get the gun down to the individual pieces.

ALL the surface imperfections are going to stand out in stark relief.

It is a personal thing with me and I have polished a LOT of stainless steel over the years, but I much prefer a satin finish.

They are easier to handle and do not show as much glare in bright sunlight and small imperfections do not stand out and any small scratches can be "softened" with a craytex pad that you can find in the cleaning aisle of a grocery store or the paint section of a hardware store.

Just my .02 cents worth. . .YMMV.

Geetarman
Old December 26, 2011, 03:50 PM   #5
jhgreasemonkey

I have used plain old car polishing compound by turtle wax on two stainless ruger revolvers and with just an old t-shirt they came out a nice even satin or semi gloss. To avoid swirls I just go in a front to back motion so if there are polishing marks it would look like brushed stainless but I don't really see any anyways. It really didn't take long either. Also you might want to avoid polishing the top of the gun by the sights so reflection doesnt blind you when shooting in bright sunlight. In your case that would be the top of the slide. Even though alot of people do and don't seem to complain about it. There are a lot of ways to polish guns and most of them are really easy. Just don't use power tools or course abrasives. With your 5906 you could glass bead blast it to restore the factory dull stainless finish if you wanted to remove scratches.
Old December 26, 2011, 06:24 PM   #6
skimann2000

5906 polish

Thanks lots of good info. I am thinking of taking it to the shop for professional polish leaving the top and rounds the brushed effect.
Once again thanks
Old December 27, 2011, 02:41 AM   #7
ftttu

A fellow academy mate polished his 5906 with that yellow rag and he got a lot of grief for it from the other mates. It wasn't quite like chrome but it wasn't too far way from it either. To each his own.
Old December 27, 2011, 09:58 AM   #8
skimann2000

Well the coment about the polishing showing any surface imperfections has me wondering.
I cant see any now and I sure dont want to bring any up so I am having second thoughtys.
Thanks
Old December 27, 2011, 10:32 AM   #9
geetarman

Ski,

The thing about scratches is, to polish them out, you normally work perpendicular to the scratch. Most scratches end up being along the long axis of the slide or frame. That means you polish up and down to remove the scratch. Then you polish along the long axis to achieve the finish.

With a satin finish, it is just a bit of craytex to remove the imperfection and a quick swipe to blend with the overall satin patina.

Many times, a satin finish is cheaper to produce and does not require as much machine work to make it really glossy.

It is those little imperfections that lurk to ruin your day when you try to make it really bright.

Most of the time, you will get it pretty good. . .until you hold the slide or frame oblique to the light source. Then. . .you can have a major "Awww crap" moment.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a good turnout of your project.

I was not trying to rain on your parade. Just wanted to let you know what you COULD be getting into.

Geetarman
Old December 27, 2011, 03:51 PM   #10
skimann2000

Thanks again I am taking all coments into consideration before I make a move.
Old December 27, 2011, 04:19 PM   #11
JKP

Watch what you wish for! My Colt bright stainless series 80 mk IV was beautiful when I first got it. Not so much after some use. My 4006 & 629 both look new after years of use with their matte stainless finish.
Old December 27, 2011, 06:04 PM   #12
skimann2000

I see what you mean about the bright verses the matte. what is best way to clean up the matte finish then?
Old December 27, 2011, 06:14 PM   #13
medalguy

For stainless that shines, try Renaissance Wax:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_7jds3zjyc7_e
Old December 27, 2011, 10:13 PM   #14
jhgreasemonkey

Skimman to keep the matte finish you can glass bead blast it. You can also send it to S&W and pay them to do it for you in the performace center.