The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 3, 2010, 03:54 AM   #1
rode_owen22

Questions about my dad's rifle.

http://s612.photobucket.com/albums/t...marie09/Rifle/

This is my dad's hunting rifle, that he used ever since I can remember. I recently took it out to look at it and found out that I knew nothing about the gun. I always just assumed it was a Remington. I have no clue why I thought that. But anyway I have found out a little bit about it with a little research. The gun was customized or modified by a gun shop named Flaig's in Pa. It has a FN action on it and the barrel might be made by Douglas. If I'm wrong on any of that please feel free to inform me. But I just had a few other questions that I would like someone to answer for me?
1. Around what year was this was it made?
2. How would I remove the bolt?(if you can tell by the pictures)
3. There is some strange markings stamped on the gun. What do they mean? They are in the second picture.
4. What's its worth?

Im just asking price for curiosity sake. My father passed in 2003, so this gun is priceless to me. God willing, I hope to give it to my kids one day. If I need to take any other picture or describe something on the gun just let me know and I'll get them posted asap.
Old August 3, 2010, 07:01 AM   #2
taylorce1

What I saw of the rifle is it is a Flaigs chambered in .280 Remington, so it was re-barreled somewhere along the way. It was probably a .30-06 originally, and was probably done in the 60's especially since it has a Weatherby style Monte Carlo stock. My guess in the condition it is in probably around $300-350 as it looks like it has seen quite a bit of use.

It is built on a FN Hertsal action made in Belgium which makes it a commercial 98 Mauser, which is a very desirable action as far as commercial Mausers go. To remove the bolt on the left side at the rear of the receiver there should be a lever that you can pull out wards and then slide the bolt back and out the rear of the receiver. Those weird markings on the front receiver ring that you posted are more than likely proof marks, I'm not familiar with them. It looks real similar to my .30-06 JC Higgins Model 50 action, I'll have to check and see if I have the same markings on my receiver.

Anyway I'd find some ammunition and shoot it and see how she does. But not before I'd give the barrel a good scrubbing and clean the rest of the rifle up. Probably have a real nice shooter there.

Your bolt release lever should look similar to the one I circled in the picture:

Last edited by taylorce1; August 3, 2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: spelling and add picture
Old August 3, 2010, 07:19 AM   #3
mapsjanhere

The proof marks look like the typical Belgian set, crown over A is known inspector's mark, lion over PV is the mark for a proof done with 3 shots at 50% overpressure, and the perron mark (looks like a candlestick) is the mark from the basic proof.
Old August 3, 2010, 09:49 AM   #4
Scorch

Nice old rifle. Your Dad's rifle is a semi-custom built on an FN Mauser action, which were very much sought for such builds. It is chambered for 280 Remington, a fine cartridge for deer or elk hunting. It was barreled by Flaigs, a well-known gun shop back east. It's hard to say who did the stock work, possibly Flaigs, possibly another shop. Unless the stockmaker marked the stock, it is impossible to tell. I would put the build somewhere in the mid to late 1950s based on stock design.
Old August 3, 2010, 10:06 AM   #5
taylorce1

Dang, only a decade off, oh well. Both the 50's & 60's were before my time!
Old August 3, 2010, 11:00 AM   #6
rode_owen22

Thank you very much for the replies. This gun hasn't been fired since probably 2002, but I do remember how accurate it was. It was a tack driver in his hands lol. It's great to finally know a little about this gun.
Old August 3, 2010, 06:24 PM   #7
TX Hunter

Here is your Rifle and your Kitty Cat.

Old August 3, 2010, 06:57 PM   #8
rode_owen22

Lmao! Yes sir. That's ol' Conway.

Tags
dad , flaig's , gun , mauser , rifle