The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 13, 2008, 09:08 PM   #1
Dirtsquirt

Gun Issues

I have a New England Firearms .270, I am having issues with breech closing all the way. What has happened is I shot factory ammo through it and I still have one left and the breech closes tight, I reloaded the ammo and now it will not close tight. I have measured and trimmed all the cases, I neck sized all the cases and the full length measurement is shorter than the factory length. I would appreciate any help I can get. I have reloaded for about 20 years and this is the first time I have ran into this problem.
Old September 13, 2008, 09:15 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

There are two areas where the problem could lie. One is the shoulder, which is not being set back by neck sizing. Try full length sizing and see what happens.

The other is the case diameter at the rear. Many sizing dies do not size the case enough to fit into a tight chamber. If that is the problem, you might try getting a sizing die made for semi-autos, which will size the case more.

Jim
Old September 13, 2008, 09:19 PM   #3
Dirtsquirt

Thanks, I have not usually full lenght sized cases that I shot in the gun, oh its a single shot break action gun, sorry.
Old September 13, 2008, 09:58 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I know what kind of gun it is. One of the problems with that action is that it has zero seating or primary extraction power. In a bolt action, the closing downward movement of the bolt handle exerts a powerful force on the cartridge through the seating cam. That power is absent on that break open gun, so any small dimensional problem will prevent the action from closing.

There is also no primary extraction power except the ejector spring, so anything that prevents smooth extraction/ejection (like a dirty case) will require use of a cleaning rod.

Jim
Old September 14, 2008, 08:32 AM   #5
Dirtsquirt

Thanks for your help, I will resize the cases and hope that it works. I had the problem with the extractor not ejecting the spent cases in my 243 barrel had to send back to the factory. Hope I dont have to this time.