The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2008, 09:36 PM   #1
btefft

HAPPY with my new Hornady LnL Progressive press.

HAPPY with my new Hornady LnL Progressive press.

Man, this thing is so cool. I've already loaded about 250 .40SW rounds, just playing around with it. Only minor adjustment I had to make was to the pawls that rotate the shell plate - it wasn't quite lining up with the dies overhead. Now, its perfect.

Today I sent off for my 1,000 FREE .45 bullets (230 gr HP/XTP). The 1,000 bullets would have cost me $289.50 from Hornady. The LnL Press set me back $370.00. So, the way I see it, the press only cost me $80.50.

What a sweet deal!

Hack
Old April 3, 2008, 10:08 PM   #2
20nickels

Like mine too. Was looking for blue when I tripped over a used red one. No regrets here.
Old April 3, 2008, 11:22 PM   #3
DEDON45

Squeezed out my first 50 rounds today (testing a medium-high load in .45 ACP w/ LRN bullets) on my new press. I had only a few minor issues (none due to mfg defects), mostly due to me not cleaning all the shipping rust protectant (machine oil) out of the powder measure and static issues which I solved with graphite powder and some dryer sheets. After I get my loads figured out, I'll be cranking out a lot of .45 and .44 ammo.
Old April 4, 2008, 12:19 AM   #4
Robert M Boren Sr

I'm glad you guys are enjoying you presses. You'll soon find yourself buying bulk powder bullets and such. I'm a blue fan myself, but they're all good presses in my book. Enjoy and good shooting.
Old April 4, 2008, 10:28 PM   #5
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
I'm a blue fan myself, but they're all good presses in my book.
Yes, they are...

I really like mine. One of the simplest little feature really tickles my fancy due to being obsessive compulsive is the depriming method. Keeps my bench clean...

One thing about the bullet deal: Be VERY patient. I sent out for my free bullets in early January and just got them on my doorstep a couple of weeks ago. They take forever, but they will get them out to you...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 6, 2008, 05:44 PM   #6
kgpcr

Personaly i think Red beast Blue every time. Both are good but Red is cheaper for the same features. Red also changes caliber much easier.
Smith M&P 40
Old April 6, 2008, 07:41 PM   #7
Forwardassist

I like mine but it has some annoying quirks. I have mine for four years now, and have gone through several cam feeds and the plate timing needs adjusting all the time. The case retention spring tends to snap pretty often. The priming system is prone to jams, which means I have to take the system apart to clean it. At least Hornady stands by the product.
Old April 6, 2008, 10:46 PM   #8
PitBull

I'm happy with mine. I got it in February and have loaded a lot of .45ACP and 9mm so far. Next will be .223 and .308. The only thing I had to do to make it run right is to adjust the pawls a little and the owners manual has a section on that. It's a common adjustment and easy to do.
Old April 7, 2008, 12:09 AM   #9
DEDON45

Hey Pitbull, what kind of dies are you using on your .45 setup? I have a set of new Hornady dies, and I'm having problems with an annoying (yet in-spec) bulge in the case when I seat both lead and JHP bullets... I've posted another thread on it; but since you have the same press, wondering what magic formula you're using. I've heard that the Lee FCD die will not work in station 5, are you using a Hornady taper crimp die?
Old April 7, 2008, 08:26 AM   #10
Alleykat

How about the little wire case ejector. Did they ever get that straightened out? Makes the use of Lee and other dies difficult.
Old April 7, 2008, 12:19 PM   #11
DEDON45

From what I'm finding out in research, the lee FCD die does conflict with the ejector wire, but one can grind the die on the side that would contact the wire and it will work. I'm just going to get a Hornady Taper Crimp die and try that in Station 5, as I really don't want to get rid of my powder cop die.
Old April 7, 2008, 12:53 PM   #12
Master Blaster

Quote:
Hey Pitbull, what kind of dies are you using on your .45 setup? I have a set of new Hornady dies, and I'm having problems with an annoying (yet in-spec) bulge in the case when I seat both lead and JHP bullets... I've posted another thread on it; but since you have the same press, wondering what magic formula you're using. I've heard that the Lee FCD die will not work in station 5, are you using a Hornady taper crimp die?
The Bulge is one of two things most likely it due to insufficient belling, or it could be due to overcrimping.

I am currently loading .45acp on my LNL and using the Hornady dies with no problems. I gave up on the throught powder belling insert though, becuase it doesnt provide sifficient belling for cast bullets, and was marginal for jacketed ones.
Old April 7, 2008, 01:43 PM   #13
DEDON45

Interesting that you say that it could be insufficient belling... I cranked the expander down to ridiculous amounts of belling and it was still a problem. I backed out the seater die so that it didn't crimp at all, and I still got the bulge. I even got it with .451 Hornady JHPs.

Do you use the separate Taper Crimp Die?
Old April 7, 2008, 07:05 PM   #14
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Dedon,
Are you sure your die set came with a taper crimp, not a roll crimp die? Roll crimps will wreak havoc on cartridges that are usually designed for taper crimping. Just a thought...

Old April 7, 2008, 09:11 PM   #15
DEDON45

Even with NO crimp, I get the bulge. I think I need the taper crimp die to "iron" it out... I've ordered just such a die, we'll see if it helps. I can't be the only one that is fighting this battle; indeed, in another thread, others have, and it seems the Lee FCD or the Hornady Taper Crimp die fixes the problem.
Old April 7, 2008, 11:40 PM   #16
20nickels

Tuttle8,
Hornaday does not currently make a roll crimp die in 45.

They just recently redesigned their .451/452 powder bushing expander thingy. I just got one of the 1st new one's and have not had a chance to use it yet. I'm told polishing the older one helps.
Other observations; seat/crimp combo dies suck with non-jacketed boolits which led me to the Redding profile crimp die.

While I'm at it RCBS gets a big smiley for their excellent customer service on replacing a defective lockout die for me today.

Last edited by 20nickels; April 7, 2008 at 11:43 PM. Reason: too many thoughts, I'm getting old.
Old April 8, 2008, 02:17 PM   #17
wpcexpert

How will the RCBS dies work with the LNL. I'd really not have to go and buy all new dies.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old April 8, 2008, 04:57 PM   #18
maldos

I have also started reloading with the LNL. Have done about 500 .45 acp rds and man the accuracy of the round is amazing. I have changed the powder feeder to the micro/pistol setup and am able to dial in accurate drops. Seater is Redding competition die.

Problems:
1. The primer wheel popped off.
2. Powder measure keeps rotating the bushing out of the press. This is a known problems as Hornady knew exactly what what happening. No fix as of yet but I figure it out. Anyone else?

Hornady has replaced the primer feed and all contacting parts, no questions asked. Great service.
Old April 8, 2008, 08:06 PM   #19
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quoted by 20nickles:
Quote:
Tuttle8,
Hornaday does not currently make a roll crimp die in 45.
Quoted by Sarge in another thread whom said it best:
Quote:
My .45 dies are Hornady product # 544554 and are marked "New Dimension Custom Grade" and "45 ACP/AR/WIN/LC". They were bought new around 1994.
The crimp die is definitely of the roll-crimp variety and works splendidly with .45 Colt loads; in fact this set of dies has turned out some of the most accurate .45 ACP/,45 Colt ammo I've ever loaded

Sorry to burst your bubble, 20nickles, but according to the product number of Hornady's the roll crimp die is in this set. Also, even though DEDON claimed to buy "new" doesn't necessarlily mean it was newly made...

Old April 8, 2008, 08:35 PM   #20
BigJakeJ1s

Hornady's website lists the same part number 044151 for seating dies for 45 ACP-AR-WIN MAG, 45 colt, and 454 casull. The 460 S&W seater is different, but that may be due to cartridge length.

I wonder if it is not designed like the Redding Profile, which starts out with a taper crimp and then finishes (if so desired/adjusted) with a roll crimp?

Andy
Old April 8, 2008, 09:50 PM   #21
DEDON45

Tuttle, I did buy new... but I agree with you... I've already ordered a taper crimp die.
Old April 9, 2008, 01:28 PM   #22
20nickels

Tuttle8,
No bubbles bursting here, I called Hornaday to purchase one 2 mths ago and the answer was "We do not currently make one".
Old April 9, 2008, 02:12 PM   #23
DEDON45

That explains why I don't see a roll when I crank my combo one down... but I think the comment that the combo seaters / crimpers suck (at least in cartrdidges like the .45ACP) is accurate... hopefully a dedicated taper crimp die will solve my problems.
Old April 9, 2008, 07:58 PM   #24
BigJakeJ1s

duh... I forgot the 454 casull die set comes with a separate taper crimp die. I use the set for 45 colt and it works fine, but I roll crimp with the seater die while seating. Works better than my 45 colt Lee CFCD, but that's for a roll crimp. I have no experience with taper crimped cartridges yet.

Andy
Old April 9, 2008, 09:53 PM   #25
20nickels

I wished they did make a newer short roll crimp die that would not interfere with the ejector wire like my Redding will. I'll just have to start hacking away on it with the grinder.
Dedon, I didn't catch whether you are using lead or jacketed boolits?