The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 2, 2007, 01:37 PM   #126
dmxx99

I always have 12 gauge Federal 00 buckshot for my Remington 870 express I would load 7 and get it ready if the need arises
My Federal 1 ounce slugs are for extreme emergencies where the guy is armored or something.
Old November 7, 2007, 10:57 PM   #127
Neal in GA

3" fed 00 buck for the first 5 rounds, slug for the last round. If, for some unforseen reason (ie murphy's law), the shotgun is unavailable, dry, disabled, or otherwise unuseable, I have my 1911 with 9 rds of 230 gr gold dot. It's quicker to draw a pistol than to try to reload a shotgun, and I'd rather have a BUG than a bandoleer of the same weight. I had a guy try to break into my home Monday night. I grabbed my 870, flipped on the light, then proceeded to clear the house. Once I determined the house was clear, I put on some pants, boots, and a jacket, woke up my roommates, stuck my .45 in my pants, and checked the perimeter of my home (roommate was behind me with my .357 and a surefire). Fortunately, the guy must have taken off when he saw the light come on. I really don't want to shoot anyone, but it felt good to have training and just move on instinct without having to think about what to do.
Old November 7, 2007, 11:10 PM   #128
dead-eye-ked

what size for home defence??

I like #4 buck. I only saw a few people suggest it, and I think they are right. Get it in 3" if you feel the need, but if you blast someone under 5 yards as in a home would be. You Will stop them, likely they wont ever move again either.
Old November 8, 2007, 10:07 AM   #129
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I like #4 buck. I only saw a few people suggest it, and I think they are right. Get it in 3" if you feel the need, but if you blast someone under 5 yards as in a home would be. You Will stop them, likely they wont ever move again either.
I agree, in home, short range, it's my first choice.
Old November 10, 2007, 02:28 PM   #130
ArizonaRick

Mossy Mariner w/ 00 Buck

I keep the side sadle with Federal 00 low recoil buck shot - yes, unloaded, got young kids who know how to load and fire shotgun quiet well. My wife can load the gun in 3-5 seconds in the dark. It is important to have the "what to do if someone is in the house" plan ahead of time. We had an intruder in our house 6 months ago and my wife threw a can of tomato soup at him and chased him down the street (1/2 naked) with a second can. You realy don't need a shotgun, just an Irish wife with a good arm. We actually lock our doors at night now (Arizona).
Old November 11, 2007, 05:57 PM   #131
tfinch2

5 shells of Winchester Super X 00 buck in the magazine, and 5 more on the stock.
Old November 14, 2007, 08:21 AM   #132
Guntalk

A slightly different question than what you load your shotgun with . . .

Upon what do you make that decision?

That is, how did you decide to use 00 buck, or number 4 buck, or a series of increasing shot sizes starting with number 6, or alternating buck/slug/starburst/spreader/Bismuth?

Did you read about it in a gun magazine? Did you test it yourself (and if so, how/where), or did it just "feel right"?
Old November 14, 2007, 08:50 AM   #133
rantingredneck

To answer your question:

Personally I have patterned my chosen 00 buck load and tested Brenneke slugs for accuracy. As to why loading with 00 buck first followed by slugs, in the unlikely event that I'll need more than 5 rounds of buckshot, I doubt more buckshot will resolve whatever situation I've found myself in. Hence the 1oz. slugs. I also keep slugs in the sidesaddle or buttstock for the unlikely hostage type scenario where buckshot would be ill-advised.

None of my HD guns stay loaded with birdshot. I've patterned some #4 buckshot and wasn't impressed. Yeah it'd work out of my guns to 7-10 yds, but beyond that the pattern opens way too much. My 00 load works well to 25 yds.
Old November 14, 2007, 11:50 AM   #134
mikejonestkd

You are supposed to Load it?

I thought all you had to do was stand there and work the action to deal with a home invader?
Old December 26, 2007, 10:27 PM   #135
mike4

everyone has opinions and individual ideas in how to protect themselves. i don't feel there is a wrong or correct way. you live and die by your choices in a matter like this. i preffer 2 (23/4) 16 pellet 00 shells followed by 3 3" 9 pellet 00rds and then 3 brenekee slugs(8 3" 00 rds in the sidesaddle) in my m4(which can digest anything in no special sequence) i am alone on the top floor of my biulding so caladeral damage seems low ,plus i might want to shoot thru a wall if the perp is behind it...also bought the m4 due to thoughts of general reliabality risks in a no-nonsense situation , had to have what the m4 offers in the "count on it " dept...and reliable , no jam ,rapid fire power. until recently i filled my sg's with straight 00 thru and thru. i think i gained alot of valuable / technical info from a site called firearmstactical.com and links it reffers to. good breakdowns of the bottom line results of things tested that i / we take for granted. stuff i learned from you guys + a nelli m4 are a great and lethal combo.

Last edited by mike4; December 26, 2007 at 10:41 PM. Reason: cut out alot of m4 worship and bragging.
Old December 26, 2007, 10:29 PM   #136
mike4

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------i like and agree with what va9mm says at the top of this thread.(page 1) just makes sense. humans are like a deer/buck more than a bird. but yes , always think about innocents being hurt if you need to. at home , i don't ...

Last edited by mike4; December 26, 2007 at 10:44 PM. Reason: cut out more m4 stuff everyone knows already.
Old December 26, 2007, 10:54 PM   #137
mike4

spectreblofeld , thats honorable. (what you say on page two) my 2 kids are grown now and both work nypd. i do remember how fragile everything seemed when the were tots. god bless the kids. and anyone in your "hands tied behind your back" situation. don't envy you. maybe the best , auh forget it.
Old December 27, 2007, 09:27 AM   #138
roy reali

Rich?

Some of you must be rich. You sure seem to be able to hire a better attorney then I could.
Old December 27, 2007, 10:26 AM   #139
Mike40-11

Wow. I thought 9mm vs .45 threads generated a lot of heat and smoke

Anyway, I like double-aught in my shotgun.

By the way, Glock or 1911?
Old December 27, 2007, 10:32 AM   #140
ckd

+1 GATMOG's solution. Inside overpenetration is a concern, but if birdshoot isn't going to solve my problem 00 will. We load first two with bird, the rest with 00. The SG is the barricade choice, the handgun for manuvering easily if a search or retrival of others in the house is necessary.

Since not all ammo patterns the same, make sure you get a good sense of pattern at least up to 7 yards (generally max. room dimensions in a normal house).
Old December 27, 2007, 05:44 PM   #141
redrick

I agree with rantingredneck , you need to pattern your shotgun to see what load and brand gives you the tightest pattern . On a man i would be using anything from 000 to #4 buckshot . Go get you some large sheets of paper or cardboard , buckshot in 3 different brands and go shooting . This will also get you use to the gun . You will probably only want to shoot 3 rounds in 1 day with buckshot if you don't have a gun sled .
Old December 27, 2007, 09:31 PM   #142
seeker_two

Mike40-11: +1

Quote:
By the way, Glock or 1911?
I prefer a 9mm 1911 to a .45ACP Glock, anyday....
Old December 27, 2007, 09:58 PM   #143
lockedcj7

I've shot 100 lb whitetail deer at 15 and 25 yards with 12 pellet 00 buck and they went down. At 15 yards, it was pretty much over in a few seconds but it wasn't a death ray. Conceivably, a BG could still have still pulled a trigger. At 25 yds, I added a finishing shot because I was afraid it was going to get up! What I learned was that 00 buck still might not be enough. Over-penetration is an issue with any load that is also powerful enough to be effective.

We're all focusing on indoor ranges, but what if the fight moves (or begins) outside? I can think of more than one scenario that might mean I need to engage a BG at longer ranges. What about animals? I had to shoot a wild hog in my own back yard and I damn sure wouldn't have tried that with birdshot.

I keep my HD shotgun loaded with more than just home-invasion in mind. I live in the boonies and any problem I have is going to have to be solved by me. 00 Buck in the magazine and slugs in the butt-cuff. I also keep one in the chamber. I'll rack the slide after the first round. I don't believe in giving away the element of surprise. I'll go ahead and assume that anyone who broke into a home that is obviously occupied is intent on doing me and my family serious harm and is unlikely to be deterred by any sound.
Old December 27, 2007, 10:32 PM   #144
roy reali

Understanding DA

You shoot at someone outside at twenty five yards you better have a very understanding DA or know a very good criminal attorney.
Old December 27, 2007, 10:47 PM   #145
Johnc

Quote:
You shoot at someone outside at twenty five yards you better have a very understanding DA or know a very good criminal attorney
LOL If you live in NY you better have BOTH!!!
Old December 28, 2007, 12:58 AM   #146
YukonKid

alternating remington slugs and double buck. i did the folding knox stock as well, its pretty cool.
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old December 28, 2007, 01:01 AM   #147
TexasSeaRay

Same as I did in the old job. 2 3/4" 00 buckshot.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old December 29, 2007, 08:01 AM   #148
Kreyzhorse

My mossberg is loaded with 000 buckshot. Remington if I'm not mistaken. It is not my first line of defense but it is where I spend most of my waking time when I'm at home.
Old December 29, 2007, 12:14 PM   #149
ooreach

Location: Earth, American Continent, America, Ohio, Summit County, Near Cleveland
im not paranoid but i've got the 12 loaded by the bed, mossburg with 7 OO shells. And in the living room i've got the 20 g with 4 00 shells and dito in the den in the basement. I just can't see running more then 3 rooms or up stairs to get the big guns. I'm usually armed until I'm ready to relax. But those little comforts hidden but quickly available due add a degree of peace of mind. BTW: we live about an acre from nearest neighbor in a "nice" suburb, but I know bad things can happen anywhere, just less likely.
Old December 29, 2007, 02:50 PM   #150
Stetson 33

As long as I am in my house my shotgun will be loaded with number 6 birdshot.
I worry about overpenatration in confines of a house.Sheetrock doesn't do much to slow projectiles.