The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 2001, 09:16 PM   #1
Joe Portale

Has anyone seen this before: concave headstamp!

A few months ago, I picked up a 5 gallon bucket full of mixed head stamped 30.06 cases. Tonight I finally sat down and sorted the brass. I did good! Plenty of LC Match, US Military M2, and a small amount of commercial stuff. One thing struck me as very odd. On some of the commercial cases, not the military stuff, the base of the case is caved in! I'm not talking around the primer, It is the whole base is sucked in a bit. On some, it is the whole base, on a few it is part of the base in a cresent moon pattern.

At the estate sale, I bought the entire pile of reloading stuff, including the former owners load notebooks. It seems like the old guy like to fiddle and experiment. But there is nothing that I can see that tells me why the bases are caved in like they are. His notes tell me he was using a Remington 700, a Winchester 70 and a couple of Savage bolt guns. Nothing unusual there.

Just more weirdness from Tucson!

Any ideas?

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old August 19, 2001, 09:29 PM   #2
Big Bunny

Yes Joe - I have noticed this "dishing" with new PMC 6.5X55mm brass and some 38Spl too.
It appears that no ill effects were suffered and after a few firings was barely noticable.
Old August 20, 2001, 11:19 AM   #3
Cheapo

Could this be the resilt of some really tough inertia bullet pulling? big heavy wall cases with long necks and *light* bullets might result in so many impacts, the extractor rim could be pulled out a bit. ??maybe??

Any way to get pics of this?
Old August 20, 2001, 06:22 PM   #4
KP95DAO

Concave bases.

You will find quite a few of Speers auto cases to be this way. No problems so far.