The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 27, 2012, 07:39 PM   #1
ZVP

A different path

today I decided to head down a different path, one i have been away for for 4 1/2 decades!
I decided to buy a Home Defense Shotgun! A modern style far advancec from my old Savage Double 12 Ga.
I think I have decided on a Mossberg 12 ga pump with a full stock and 20" bbl. The additional barrel will be good for a couple extra rounds in the magazine and if I get an interchangeable barrel model, I will akso be able to take it afield for Hunting.
The main reason is for Home defense, firing #4,5 0r 00 Buck loads in order to get the best penetration and shock power from the shotgun.A Ghost ring sight would be ideal as would a nicee front sight. Most likely it will have some sort of light, definatelly a sling and for extr ammo, some sort of sling or stock mounted cartrige carrier.
As I age and as crime escillates even in small towns such as mine, you feel the need for additional security beyond a 2" .38. The Shotgun will give a high power factor across the room weapon and with pratice, hits will become easier to accomplish Granted the shot colum will be no larger than a coffee saucer, so you must pratice to concentrate good hits.
I am currentlly considering looking at Pawn SHops and in Gun Shops to maybe find a "Used" shotgun maybe even an 870? I want a pump because I want reliability. I also want to look for a 3" chamber and a barrel capable of steel shot, should I have to run "just anything" thru it in a pinch. My preferred ammo is listed above. I just might go the "expensive route" and buy a new Mossberg 2 barrel kit gun...
Either way this is a relativelly new trail to follow and as always the learning experience is 1/2 the fun , the shopping the other half!
I am still unsure of if to get a Muzzle break or get a door hinge purging barrel endcap? I have always admired the door purging devices.
ZVP

PS
Please excuse any mistakes as I am trying to learn this new "I" Pad, OK?
Old December 27, 2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Ben Towe

The breaching chokes look cool, but unless you actually plan on having to breach doors it's purely cosmetic.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:05 AM   #3
drail

All you really need is the same basic shotgun carried in patrol cars all over the U.S. Forget about bolting 10 lbs. of "accessories" on it. Learn how to operate it. Anything else is just marketing for companies that make all this junk. And muzzle "brake" is not spelled - break.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:10 AM   #4
BigD_in_FL

Unless you have to blow the doors to your own house open, skip the muzzle break - looks good to mall ninjas and video game commandos, but really isn't necessary. Either a Mossberg or Remington will do what you want - find the one that fits you the best and has the safety where you prefer and go from there
Old December 28, 2012, 01:22 PM   #5
BlackWorksInc

The only thing I can say in regards to a "tactical muzzle brake" is that some of them come with pointed spikes or protrusions. The one for my UTS-15 is "spiked" like this and provides the benefit of turning the end of the barrel into a defensive hand to hand weapon should you either end up WAY too close to the target or run out of ammo.

But as was pointed out, other than looking menacing and breaching doors, they really don't have much practical use.
Old December 28, 2012, 05:20 PM   #6
g.willikers

Don't lose your keys and you can pass on the door opener gizmo.
Old December 28, 2012, 08:07 PM   #7
BigD_in_FL

Why would you need to break into your own house from the outside with a gun designed to be kept inside to start with?
Old December 30, 2012, 11:01 PM   #8
boattale

I went down a different path too. I just bought a H&R Pardner single shot. 12 gauge Modified Choke. Put a grind to fit Pachmayr Decelerator on it and stripped and refinished the stock. Cool float tripping gun now. I bet I'll get more use out of my different path than you get out of yours.