The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 26, 2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Field

first ipsc match tons o fun

check it out. didnt do thaaat bad but theres definitely room for improvement lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrAAQfjAYAY
Old July 31, 2009, 09:23 AM   #2
Field

any advice?
Old July 31, 2009, 03:58 PM   #3
Snow Dog

I'm a newbie to IPSC as well but I believe your mag pouches should be behind your hip bone (you'll have to check the rule book for that). Also, I noticed when you were shooting strong hand only you had you weak hand held tightly to your chest - this is good! However, when you were shooting weak hand your strong hand was loose - bring it to your chest as well. On one of the stages I saw you readjust your grip after firing a few rounds. A good grip is key to good shooting - practise it so much that it becomes reflex. When you do a walk-thru before a stage try to get a mental picture in your head on how you are going to shoot the stage. Get a game plan and stick with it - never change your plan! Think about the stage you got DQ'd on - was there a way to eliminate excessive movement?

Practise is one of the best things you can do. Preferably, practise with someone that is substantially better than you - it gives you lots of insight on how to cut your times.

I noticed that you inadventenly dropped a mag - when loading the gun hammer the mag home, it won't hurt it! And get more mags - that way if you do drop one again you don't waste time picking it up, just grab a fresh one and continue!

What gun are you using and in what division?

Be safe and have fun!
Old August 1, 2009, 02:35 PM   #4
jsykes

Quote:
I'm a newbie to IPSC as well but I believe your mag pouches should be behind your hip bone (you'll have to check the rule book for that).
Only true in the production division. All others they can be placed wherever you want.
Old August 1, 2009, 04:21 PM   #5
golfnutrlv

On the one handed stage, I was taught to rotate the gun 45 degrees toward the sternum. (Not 90 degrees like on tv). This gives you better control, and smoother recoil management. Its made a huge difference for me.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old August 1, 2009, 11:04 PM   #6
Navy joe

Quote:
any advice?
Don't get Dq'd on the last stage? Bad luck, what happened? Nevermind. I see you broke the 180. Not a dumb rule, 360 degree firing ranges tend to get a little tense, especially if I'm the RO.

Hard to give advice from a video, reloads look like you've actually practiced them. What were your hits like? For me, your one handed stance was pretty awkward, I try to teach people shoulders forward of hips forward of ankles, as in your whole body should have a slightly forward cant.

Those stage designs, they need help. Whatever happened to run and gun? Boring. Like you though, I was hooked after my first match. Keep practicing.

Last edited by Navy joe; August 1, 2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old August 2, 2009, 01:33 AM   #7
Field

Quote:
I noticed that you inadventenly dropped a mag - when loading the gun hammer the mag home, it won't hurt it!
yeah it was funny its not on the video but when loading my gun (xdm9) for a couple of the stages it fell out the first time. you really have to shove that mag in there when its totally full (19 rounds) i wasnt used to it because most of the time i would just put in 6-10 rounds not the full 19

Quote:
And get more mags
yeah i need to get a few things

-1 more mag
-another dual mag pouch.
-and then i would like to get another holster than the one that came with the gun (xdm9 goofy clip on holster) i would like to get a blade tech holster that attaches on your belt or something.

-then i DO have a trigger kit on the way that i ordered a bit ago, i've heard alot of squabbling from various people how its a good thing to get so i figured id just get it and see what its like.

Quote:
What were your hits like?
i didnt remember scoring tons of alphas or anything like that but main thing was the holes were all on the 'bad guys' and then there werent any holes on the 'hostages' aka white targets.
Old August 2, 2009, 02:47 AM   #8
Skan21

Would you by any chance want a shoulder holster? Mitch Rosen in black cowhide?

Some of you guys need to trade in a few of those Safe Queens and see if you can get a good deal on a Sense of Humor.- Me
Old August 2, 2009, 08:29 AM   #9
Field

hmm idk i should probably stick with a belt holster
Old August 2, 2009, 04:14 PM   #10
Field

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLZqcl09sVI
Old August 3, 2009, 12:29 AM   #11
Slopemeno

I'd focus on having the walk through super clear in my mind. When you don't have to think "and then twice on that one, then transition to weak handed" you'll be more settled. I always did my best when I had a super-clear concept of what the match would sound and feel like. It helps to be squadded with shooters who are better than you.

Match nerves on those poppers, huh? I KNOW the feeling. I had a great B-class (club level, nothing serious) season way back when, and we had our big outdoor shoot. I had won my first match, and come close a few times. I was smoking through the first stage, until I got to a bank of poppers that sunk me. I missed. And missed. and missed. Finally moved on but ran out of ammo short of the finish.

Try this. Shoot the next one with no regard for speed. Shoot the most precise hits you can. LET the speed come to you. Relax.
Old August 3, 2009, 01:52 AM   #12
Field

yeah i was thinking i was doing pretty good with the first 3 targets but then it kind of got ugly after that:barf:
Old August 3, 2009, 10:30 PM   #13
Navy joe

You're not alone, almost every new shooter tries to shoot at Machine Gun Kelly speed. The advice to slow down is good advice.
Old August 4, 2009, 09:35 PM   #14
Field

oh man i installed this prp trigger kit, im glad i did it myself because then i know how big of a pain in the ass it is
Old August 6, 2009, 11:27 AM   #15
cschwanz

Quote:
Only true in the production division. All others they can be placed wherever you want.
Single Stack has to have the pistol and mags behind the hipbone as well.

to the OP, you are just ahead of me. I am wanting to start shootin IPSC in the very near future. Keep practicing and shoot safely
Ignorance can be fixed....its called education. Stupid will get you killed!
Old August 8, 2009, 01:14 AM   #16
lawboy

Good showing at your first match! You showed good understanding of the weapon and how it works in clearing the stovepipe and getting the gun running again. You did not "fail" on the steel, you shot fairly well. The main lesson to be learned on steel targets is that they teach you your maximum ACCURATE speed. If you cannot hit all of the steel at speed X, you cannot hit all the a zones on cardboard at speed X. Many, many competitors miss this lesson. They slow down to get hits on steel because everyone watching sees every miss as it occurs and this hurts the ego, so shooters slow up, aim carefully and try to hit. But as soon as they are done with the steel, they go right back to rushing through the cardboard targets in a blaze of inaccurate glory. That is because no one watching can tell if they are making good hits or not so they look better going fast. Don't be one of those. Go no faster than you can get good hits.