The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 13, 2008, 12:21 PM   #1
krsmart

impressed by the wal-mart sniper!

i've been shooting marlin 39's and 60's all my life....always just plinking around and never wanted to invest in an expensive scope for a squirrel gun.

i went to wal mart yesterday and spent $60 on a Center-Point 4-16x40mm scope an another 5 bucks on a smaller set of weaver mounts for my model 60, mounted it up and went to the range.......within 20 minutes i was shooting 4 out of 5 shots in a 4x4" target at 100 yards......i just thought i would extend the info for anyone interested in scoping one out that for a 100 dollar gun and a 60 dollar scope i am VERY impressed with the overall performance of the setup
Old October 13, 2008, 12:51 PM   #2
ilbob

I used to belong to an outdoor club that had some steel targets set up on the 100 yard range. I could reliably hit the 6" targets with my scope-less 10/22. Not every shot, maybe 9 out of 10.
Old October 13, 2008, 12:55 PM   #3
krsmart

i can respect that - in all honest i've always had great luck with 10/22's a nice target barrell and they can be set up accurately for cheap.....this was just my 1st attempt with a cheapo 60......i was pleased with it for such a cheaply made gun and no modifications
Old October 13, 2008, 04:08 PM   #4
LateNightFlight

Lots of people will dismiss equipment if they think you didn't pay enough for it. They have their experience and reasons, but if it works - it works!

I get razed every year because I put a cheapish 4-16X Tasco on my 7mm rem mag many years ago. At the time, I didn't have the money for something more. The poor thing has been through hell and refuses to give up. It doesn't have the high quality optics, etc., but man, it kills at least one deer every year.

I'm heading over to Colorado with my elk tag in a few weeks. I keep thinking, "Shouldn't I put one of my 'Good' scopes on this thing?" And then I realize, this thing is more proven then anything else I own. Why bother? (Of course, if it breaks on this trip, it's not like I can walk back to the house and swap it out. But the only things left that could happen, that haven't already happened, will probably kill me along with it.

Happy shooting with your new set up!
Old October 13, 2008, 05:00 PM   #5
shooter_john

I put one of those on my Savage MkII .22, and has performed well for me to. Looks pretty cool to boot!
Old October 13, 2008, 05:48 PM   #6
ilbob

I bought a cheap nosmithing required mount and cheap scope for one of my 1903s. The mount never did work. Could never get it to stay in place. Scope seemed ok though.
Old October 13, 2008, 07:30 PM   #7
Samdweezel05

My favorite savage I built in .22-250 has an $89 BSA 36X scope on it. Doesn't keep it from shooting .200" 5 shot groups at 100 yds. I never let the price decide if it is any good.

Phil
Old October 13, 2008, 07:38 PM   #8
Bogie

What is a "wal-mart sniper?"

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old October 13, 2008, 07:39 PM   #9
teeroux

Quote:
$60 on a Center-Point 4-16x40mm scope
I recently purchased the exact same scope for my AR.

I was more than satisfied with its performance thus far.

One gripe about it though that 40mm opening doesn't seem as large looking through it compaired to a 30mm obj on a simmons i own?

Ive been riding my AR in my shock wore truck the last two weeks to see if zero will be affected next time at the range.

Tags
cheap sniper , marlin , model 60 , scopes