The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 7, 2000, 12:03 AM   #1
mib2000

I've enjoyed dusting enough clays to step up to skeet and sporting clays shooting at my gun club. At this point, I expect to shoot 80% skeet, 20% sporting clays.

I've settled on the purchase of a over-under, and would like some opinions from more-experienced clay shooters on optimal barrel length given my intentions.

(By the way, if it is a factor, I am 5'10" tall, 170lbs.)

Thanks in advance for taking time to offer your advice.

------------------
Check chamber,
mib2000

[This message has been edited by mib2000 (edited November 07, 2000).]
Old November 7, 2000, 08:04 AM   #2
PJR

mib2000

What are you shooting now? That can make a difference in what you decide.

For an over/under a 30" barrel would be the most common choice but how the gun fits and handles is more important. A 28" gun that is barrel heavy (a Ruger Red Label) versus a 32" gun with very light barrels like the Beretta DT10 will handle very differently. You will shoot better with a 26" that fits than with a 30 inch that doesn't. That said, I think 30" is the best choice for your purposes.

Old November 7, 2000, 08:55 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

PJR has it,balance is more crucial than length. I suggest handling and shooting a varietym then make a choice. I strongly doubt anyone serious about either skeet or clays is using the shotgun they started with, so reconcile yourself to trading some.
Old November 9, 2000, 10:29 PM   #4
Ned Roundtree

I use a Beretta O/U 26". Feels best to me.
Old November 19, 2000, 12:56 AM   #5
mib2000

BTT
Old November 19, 2000, 04:44 AM   #6
TKL

I am in the same situation as you. I have been shooting skeet off and on for about 15 years. I am thinking about a new gun also and am going back and forth between a 30" and 28" 682 Gold E. I am only 5'6" and am more comfortable with the 28" but if they both felt the same to me I would get the 30". It would be best to be able to try the gun you want to get in different lenthes and see what is the most comfortable for you. With an over and under, for your purposes I woud stay in the 28" to 30" range. I'll probably go with the 28" because it is more comfortable to me.
Hope this helps.
TKL
Old November 19, 2000, 06:00 PM   #7
old man

When I was shooting skeet,( a 35 year career), I alway preferd a 26 inch tube, as for me they swung a little faster. Regarding your interest in shooting skeet and sporting clays, you might consider 27 inch tubes. That said, IMHO fit and balance of the weapon to your build and mounting style are more important than barrel lenght.

Old November 21, 2000, 12:04 AM   #8
mib2000

TKL,
Yeah, it helps to hear I'm not the only one with the dilemma. I'm pretty much settled on a Beretta 687 Silver Sporting II. Doubt the shops in my area will have both 28" and 30"; if not, I'll try to handle similar guns in those barrel lengths. I also searched for advice here:
http://www.shotgunsports.com/talkgrou.htm
There was one post about testing "fit" for while you were in the gunshop. I found that pretty helpful guidance. And someone on the site mentioned that Beretta also makes longer choke tubes, so that you can essentially get 30". I then spotted them in the Beretta catalog. Interesting concept...

OM,
Thank you for the voice of experience. I'll try to see which one "feels" and "swings" better.