The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 7, 2011, 11:24 PM   #1
jcsturgeon

Rock Island Armory Project

Well, I've had a Rock Island Armory .45 for a while, and I finally decided to make a project out of it. The RIA A1 is a no frills, no nonsense gun made to GI specs, but I bought a set of punches and a couple manuals and went to town. This was my first attempt at any kind of gunsmithing like this, and I am impressed by how it turned out.

I installed a Shok-Buff kit (new recoil spring and a full length guide rod), a aluminum trigger, a new combat hammer (with a new strut and strut pin) and I added some Pachmayr grips:

I'm not done yet, still looking for a beavertail safety, a stainless barrel and possibly an ambi safety and slide stop. I'm happy with it so far, and it shoots well. You can tell the difference in the recoil spring and it doesn't jam like it was prone to before. Any one else tackled a 1911 who has some feedback/pointers?
Old February 8, 2011, 07:08 PM   #2
Libertad

How much did that cost you? How much are you willing to spend on this project?
Looks pretty good, by the way. I like the colors on the grips with that slide/frame finish
Old February 8, 2011, 08:05 PM   #3
k31

lookes good i have the mate nickle .45 and i will buy more from RIA in the future it is a gun that wants to be shot not displayed
yours looks good
Old February 9, 2011, 08:07 AM   #4
jcsturgeon

Not looking to spend a ton, but I know it will add up. Just bought a new barrel that looks like it's parkerized... but stainless where it shows through the slide. That was $40. I guess if you add up all the parts I've added:

The Shok Buff Recoil System $38.95
Competition Match Trigger $18.84
1911 Value Line Hammer $30.43
Hexagonal Head Screws $9.97
Pachmayr Colt 1911 Grips Wooden Panels American Legend Series $26.97
Ed Brown Hammer Strut $7.39
Ed Brown Frame Rebuilt Kit $18.79 (Ironically I only needed the hammer strut pin, but now I have extras.

That's over $150 there (whew!) and I figure when it's all said and done I'll have put in about $200 in extra work, which isn't bad for a pistol I bought for $400. It's been a lot of fun and I learned a lot about the 1911.