The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 16, 2010, 11:23 PM   #1
ncpatriot

NC State Fair, Turkey Shoot

I should have thought to post this much earlier. I hope it can still reach a lot of people.

The NC State Fair has a turkey shoot event, sponsored by the Raleigh Jaycees. It is the oldest event still being held. I just verified with an official that it is still being held. I thanked her that fair officials still allow a shooting event in this day of paranoia.

Any of you in NC that are going to the fair, please drop by and show your support.

Does anyone know of other fairs, carnivals, etc. that still have any shooting events? I vaguely remember our county fair back home having a gallery trailer with .22 pump rifles. I only remember it being there 1 year. I tried it and couldn't hit anything. I assume the sights were altered & not the same on any 2 rifles.

Last edited by ncpatriot; October 17, 2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old October 16, 2010, 11:58 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Does anyone know of other fairs, carnivals, etc. that still have any shooting events? I vaguely remember our county fair back home having a gallery trailer with .22 pump rifles. I only remember it being there 1 year. I tried it and couldn't hit anything. I assume the sights were altered & not the same on any 2 rifles.
When I was a kid, there was a shooting gallery trailer setting up at a county fair I was participating in (State Champion Horseshoe Pitcher, and I had a title to defend and pits to clean up).

I was interested in the trailer, and the guy setting it up was interested in Horseshoe Pitching (couldn't understand that it was a professional sport). So, he let me behind the counter, to check it out. Half of the counter had semi-auto rifles, and the other half had pump actions. All of them, of course, were chained to the counter, so no nimrods could swing the rifle far enough to shoot anything but the backstop.

What I found interesting, was that they were smooth bores, and the guy was actually cleaning them. He told me the prizes would all be won the first night. Once the bores got fouled with lead, no one would be able to hit the broad side of the trailer... but all the first-nighters would be sending friends to try to win their girl the same giant puppy or teddy bear.

That was the first, and last time I ever saw a shooting gallery using real ammunition. I don't know of a single celebration around here, that still has shooting events.
Old October 17, 2010, 07:16 AM   #3
ncpatriot

I don't think I ever heard of a .22 smooth bore. Was that a standard product at one time, or always a special order? I can't think of any other place that would need or want a smooth bore.

When any of us do see shooting events taking place, we should do all we can to support them.
Old October 17, 2010, 02:10 PM   #4
madmag

Quote:
I don't think I ever heard of a .22 smooth bore. Was that a standard product at one time, or always a special order?
Can't tell you where to get one now, but many years ago I use to shoot .22 smooth bores at a trap range. We actually had small clay targets just for the .22's. They were pumps. Not sure of the brand.

Added: Did a little research and it looks like several makers made .22 smooth bore, including Winchester, Mossberg, Savage, & Remington.
Old October 17, 2010, 08:32 PM   #5
ncpatriot

Amazing, I learn something every day. Were these specifically for .22 shotshells? I'll have to read up. I constantly find out how much I don't know, & sometimes how little I do. A coworker thought he insulted me once by saying what I didn't know would fill an encyclopedia. I said "Wrong; what I don't know would fill at least a library & probably several warehouses."
Old October 18, 2010, 09:26 AM   #6
madmag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpatroit
Were these specifically for .22 shotshells?
Yes, these rifles were made as smooth bore for .22 shotshells.

We used a .22 shell that was taper crimped on the end...all brass. It was filled with #9 shot. The shell was the same as a normal round in length, so I assume you could shoot a LR round, but being smooth bore the accuracy would not be good.
Old October 18, 2010, 09:57 AM   #7
ncpatriot

I sure learned something on the .22 smooth bore. Thanks for that info.

Went to the turkey shoot yesterday. It was good, as usual. I didn't win anything, but enjoyed taking a couple of shots. My 1st barely peppered the target. My 2nd covered it well, but only a few in bullsring. Winner had a pellet dead center on bullseye.

This is a well run event. I hope other FL members will check it out if you go to the fair. Near the Grandstand and Expo Center. They have a cinder block enclosure, no main roof, partial roof on firing line & target line. A wall of hay bales at the target line about 2-3 feet thick, about 50 feet wide or so. You could walk pretty close by and not even hear the gunfire. Loud and clear 30 feet or so from the front of the enclosure, but nowhere else. They sell you the targets, let in small groups & have you line up against a wall. Rules are explained, beginners are offered assistance. Then you are issued a shell for each target you purchase and go to the firing line. I had targets 1 & 2, went 1st to gun 1, fired and slid over to gun 2 & fired. As you eject, someone picks up your shells. They do a great job of it. I've been on a local forum, telling people to check it out. Someone with a kid wanting to shoot would have the perfect chance there. They allow age 12 and up.