The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 29, 2009, 02:23 AM   #1
MartyG

Blacks and gun control

Not to re-open the thread I started earlier. Many fine points were made, and the board was shut down at the appropriate time.
But today I saw this video from the JPFO regarding the racist history of gun control, and the quagmire many blacks feel they are in regarding gun ownership.
This is not to spur another discussion, but to provide an insight for those who may be interested. As such, if the moderators feel the need to close this, I understand.

http://www.jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/ngn-download-view.htm
Old May 29, 2009, 04:48 AM   #2
imthegrumpyone

All law abiding, and mentally compident citizens need to own and carry, for there own protection as well as there fellow man.
Old May 29, 2009, 06:14 AM   #3
alloy

Quote:
the quagmire many blacks feel they are in regarding gun ownership
If they really feel like that about gun control, they should go down to the local gun store and throw some money on the counter. Problem solved.
Old May 29, 2009, 10:14 AM   #4
maestro pistolero

Saw that yesterday. The vid is very well done and tells an important part of the story of gun control as it evolved in this country. It ugly business to be sure.
Old May 29, 2009, 03:00 PM   #5
Harry Callahan

Really good. I hope you don't mind if I use it at another site.
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old May 29, 2009, 03:12 PM   #6
MartyG

Quote:
If they really feel like that about gun control, they should go down to the local gun store and throw some money on the counter. Problem solved.
Easier said than done. Here in Kansas, or Texas, etc, it's not a problem. In Chicago it is virtually impossible. Watch the video.

Harry Callahan, sure, by all means share this. The JPFO site encourages wide distribution.
Old May 29, 2009, 09:13 PM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

He may not have been the first to make this point, but Clayton Cramer did a beautiful, thorough job of making this point in "The Racist Roots of Gun Control" back in the 1990's.

Required reading for anyone with an interest in furthering the cause of the 2nd Amendment.
Old May 29, 2009, 11:14 PM   #8
M4Sherman

I love the info in the video but I do find the racial undertone is a little to strong.
Old May 30, 2009, 12:16 AM   #9
maestro pistolero

Quote:
I love the info in the video but I do find the racial undertone is a little to strong.
But that's how it happened. As far as I'm concerned, this is the most under told history lesson in the country. There's simply no nice way to talk about the atrocities of the post Civil War South. Lessons forgotten are lessons bound to be repeated.

The history of gun control is also a wide bridge of common ground between the African American community, which often tends to lean pretty far left, and the traditional 2A crowd, which like it or not, is significantly comprised of white, male, right-leaning folks. And I know there are many exceptions, and that this is a broad generalization.

There is great strength and power in uniting normally disparate groups over a common issue. For better or worse, that's how prop 8 got passed in CA. African American voters came out in record numbers for Obama, and while in the voting booth, they helped pass a state constitutional amendment banning gay marriage. As liberal as CA is, there would not have been much chance for prop 8 without all the new voters. This is a powerful voting block that special interest groups ignore at their own peril.

I, for one, hope gun control's dirty little secret catches fire and becomes as common as flapjacks. The truth hurts, but sometimes the best way out of pain is straight through the middle of it.
Old May 30, 2009, 08:35 AM   #10
Harry Callahan

Agreed. Couldn't have said it better, MP.
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old May 30, 2009, 09:20 AM   #11
shortwave

+10 maestro. With that, everyone black and white needs to know the politicians past voting records on issue`s important to them BEFORE voting.
Old May 30, 2009, 01:59 PM   #12
NJCSD

Gentlemen, we've posted this video on our YouTube account and on our main site. Unfortunately we had to segment the video into two segments because of YouTube constraints (10 minutes) but it's there nevertheless.