The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 28, 2006, 05:35 PM   #1
smince

10/22 Suppressor questions

I had considered a .45ACP suppressor for my Mechtech CCU, but I believe one for my 10/22 will be more practical. I know the forms and procedures, but I need to know:

Who is a good company to deal with?

Would an integral barrel type be better than a screw-on?

If I got a screw-on, is there a way to adapt a MKII Bull-barrel pistol to use the suppressor?

I know little about this subject, as you can tell. I did SBR a Mini-14 in the early 80's, but this is the only NFA transaction I've ever submitted.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Scottie
Old June 28, 2006, 06:21 PM   #2
VUPDblue

Scotty,

As far as companies, I like Gemtech. Their service is top notch and they make a darn good product. I have their Outback II .22 suppressor and it is a fantastic piece!

I personally like the feel of the integrally suppressed 10/22's but a screw-on can would be more versatile. You would be able to use it on your MKII, but you would have to send your bbl to someone and have it threaded to accept the can. Other than that, it would work just fine on either firearm.

Hope this helps.

Nick
Old June 28, 2006, 08:23 PM   #3
reaper715

i have an advanced armament pilot on a p22. i also use it on my 10/22. just had the ruger threaded the same as the suppressor and use an m-16 a1 flash hider for a thread protector. also looks really cool.
Old June 28, 2006, 11:10 PM   #4
MGRacer

I like the following muzzle suppressors.

Gemtech Outback-II
http://www.gem-tech.com/outback.html

SRT Cheyenne XL
http://www.srtarms.com/22can.htm

AAC Pilot
http://www.advanced-armament.com/pro...fire/pilot.asp

SWR Warlock
http://www.swrmfg.com/ProductDetails.asp?ID=17

Browning Buckmark with Bowers CAC22, Ruger 22/45 with Gemtech Outback-II, and P22 with SRT Cheyenne. I suggest the muzzle can over integral -- the suppressor can be moved to any .22lr gun that has a threaded barrel.

Old June 29, 2006, 05:44 PM   #5
smince

I would guess the Browning and Ruger are counter-bored and internally threaded? Who does this sort of work?
Old June 29, 2006, 06:54 PM   #6

I have an integrally suppressed 10/22 by AAC.
But, I would seriously look at the SWR Warlock if I was you. They make a QD model ( http://www.swrmfg.com/ProductDetails.asp?ID=19).
I also have an integrally suppressed Mk.II by AAC. The problem with pistol cans is being able to see the sights after attaching the can. However, it appears to me like most of the .22 pistols have big high sights on them to begin with so this probably isn't an issue like it is with centerfire pistols. Their sights are geared more toward holster carry (lower profile). That picture in tis thread looks like the sights would not be a problem at all on those guns.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old June 29, 2006, 07:05 PM   #7
Redneckrepairs

I really dont know much about supressors ( yet ) but i am considering doing a form 1 home build , and on searching info i found a forum at http://www.silencertests.com you may want to regester over there and repost since they seem to be an informative and hospitabile bunch .
Old June 29, 2006, 08:24 PM   #8
MGRacer

Quote:
I would guess the Browning and Ruger are counter-bored and internally threaded? Who does this sort of work?
The Browning and the Ruger have conventional threaded barrels -- e.g. not internally threaded. The P22 uses an adapter to go from the factory threaded barrel to 1/2x28 threads for the suppressor. Mark White of Sound Technology used to do some internally threading, but I do not know if he still does that kind of work.
Quote:
That picture in this thread looks like the sights would not be a problem at all on those guns.
If you use a bull barrel pistol, the sights are usually high enough to work fine. On all the Browning and Ruger the sights are fine, however, on the P22 it is not as high as I would like. Frankly, I did not like the P22 and finally sold it an got a Tactical Solutions upper.
Old June 29, 2006, 08:39 PM   #9
MDW Guns

Get a Gemtech Outback and you can use it on your 10/22 or on a pistol.
Check www.mdwguns.com for great deals!
Old June 29, 2006, 09:23 PM   #10
smince

Quote:
The Browning and the Ruger have conventional threaded barrels
So the barrels were turned down and threaded? The sights look like they are in the standard location, so I didn't figure there was enough barrel forward of the sights to turn down.
Old June 30, 2006, 12:12 AM   #11
MGRacer

Quote:
So the barrels were turned down and threaded? The sights look like they are in the standard location, so I didn't figure there was enough barrel forward of the sights to turn down.
The front sight was moved back to allow the threading. My dealer, who is a C2 mfg, did the work for me.

You can buy http://www.tacticalsol.com/ barrels that come already threaded for the Ruger (the upper) or the Buckmark (just the barrel) pistols and/or the 10/22. Here is my Tactical Solution upper with the SRT Cheyenne mounted on it.

Old June 30, 2006, 09:01 AM   #12
cpileri

Location: Peoples Republik of Maryland, Sister State to Kalifornia
tac-sol is the way to go

But if you don't want to do that, there is a canadian company that sells a QD threaded muzzle adapter:
http://www.canadiantactical.ca/Specs/SAKMount.PDF
and they say they will ship to individuals as it is not a suppressor part- many (any) appropriately threaded muzzle devices like flash hiders, compensators, etc can be threaded onto it.

C-
Old June 30, 2006, 12:17 PM   #13
oldwheat

.......I've got a couple of legally registered (BATF) .22 suppressor tubes that I am thinkng of finishing up.......Does anybuddy have a link for plans, etc. for the latest technology in suppressor construction.....Yes, I'm sure that some of you will look at this post with askance (I would too ) but my inquiry is fully legit & fully legal.............
Old June 30, 2006, 12:28 PM   #14

Here is a forum where that type of thing is discussed.
http://www.silencertests.com/silence...19df43a6e3e9b8

I am not sure if you have to register with the website first or not. I tried the link and I guess you do have to register first. Just go to www.silencertests.com and register for the board. Then you will see that they have a section of that board entitled: Silencersmithing.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.