The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2002, 05:46 PM   #1
rblack

Cleaning leaded barrels

From pistols, whats your best way of cleaning built up lead from your barrels. Thanks
Old September 8, 2002, 05:55 PM   #2
Quantrill

Cleaning Lead

Lewis Lead remover or equivilent (I think Hoppes also makes the same thing). Quantrill
Old September 8, 2002, 10:11 PM   #3
swifter...

LLR works OK, a lot cheaper solution that I think works better is to pull a couple threads from a Chore Girl pad and wrap them around your bore brush. Apply with solvent and vigor, lead comes off.
Tom
Old September 9, 2002, 12:15 AM   #4
tawakoni

Swifter is on the right track but I think he meant Chore BOY. You can get them at any grocery store (they are pot scrubbers). Just make sure you DON"T get the stainless steel pads. They are packaged in a box of two. The pads are actually bags that are rolled up and fastened. Just unroll, cut a section to wrap around a bore brush for a snug fit. You can swab the bore with Hoppe's or use them dry, it doesn't matter. I have tried the Lewis Lead Remover, solvents, bore paste, and more. Nothing works as well as this method.

Best,

tawakoni
Old September 9, 2002, 12:46 AM   #5
Bob G.

I use a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar. Seal one end of barrel (electrical tape, cork, whatever), pour mix in and let stand 5-10 minutes (I always leave it 10). Works great. If you REALLY have ALOT of leading (as I did once), it may take more than one application. It is very effective and the price is right.
Pour it in a dry bore, no oil. If you've already got oil or solevent, run 2 or 3 dry patches through first.
When it's working it will look like a grey milk shake type foam is bubbling up.
When you've got the lead out, just clean and oil as you normally would.
Bob
Old September 9, 2002, 01:26 AM   #6
rob_helms

Hoppes makes a lead removal cloth that works very well on barrels, forcing cones, and cylinder faces and is not abrasive. It will remove blued finishes, so be careful there.
Old September 9, 2002, 07:20 AM   #7
MADISON

Cleaning leaded barrels

Hydrogen Poroxide and vinegar will eat your barrel up. Soak the barrel in a good cleaner over night. I would put a tornado brush on a short rod and chuck it into an electric drill.
Old September 9, 2002, 08:29 AM   #8
DVNovum

Maybe I can help

I work for a company called Novum Solutions and we make a product called Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner that has been used very successfully to clean out built up lead deposits in firearms. We do this by attacking the oxide compounds that are created when the firearm is fired. We have detailed instruction on our web page that describes how to use Blue Wonder and how it cleans. Our web page is www.novumsolutions.com If after viewing our page you still have some questions please email me at [email protected], even if you do not use our product we may have some tips on how to make your cleaning easier that you have not tried before. Blue Wonder is not the panacea for all firearm problems but we believe it will help in situations like this.
Old September 9, 2002, 08:43 AM   #9
rblack

Thanks for the replies, I'll give some a try. Never had this problem shooting plated bullets.
Old September 9, 2002, 03:38 PM   #10
sricciardelli

A couple of magazines of nice hot jacketed loads....
Old September 9, 2002, 06:33 PM   #11
Nanaimo Barr

copper pot scrubber not steel, (chore boy), remove the staple, you will have a cylinder of woven copper, cut across the end, wrap around a old worn down bore brush, chuck rod into cordless drill, slow speed, back and forth, you can also wrap a .22 patch on with some solvent.
Old September 10, 2002, 10:35 AM   #12
Poodleshooter

Hoppes tornado brushes work well, but I only use them in stainless or tenifered barrels. I'll have to try the choreboy trick, perhaps with the copper pads.
Old September 10, 2002, 05:40 PM   #13
cheygriz

Outer's "Foul Out" electrochemical bore cleaner. It uses reverse electroplating to remove every last molecule of lead from your bore. And it will not harm your bore in any way.

They're a bit pricey, but once you've used one, you'll wonder how on earth you ever got along without it.

It will also remove copper jacket fouling. Completely!! Your bore will look like it just came from the rifling machine.

IMHO, the Outer's isn't just the best way to go, it's the ONLY way to go. Everyone should have one.

(BTW, I am NOT employed by Outer's)