The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 7, 2001, 06:00 AM   #1
XXSUPO

a note to gizmo and art

around a year ago gizmo99 posted a thread about shooting a deer w/ a muzzleloader. i got involved in this thread and was pretty adamant about my position. that position was one founded in nothing but a lack of knowledge about muzzleloading. although i have hunted w/ centerfire rifles and to this day have been very successful, i knew jack about front stuffers.
anyway, the thread got nasty and ART deleted some posts then eventualy (finally) closed the thread. he also suspended the posting privledges of myself (OPUSXX) until i would make certain agreements. i did not and left the sight as OPUSXX.
6 months ago i bought a muzzlelaoder and began shooting. i shot up 3 tins of primers till i felt i was a fair shot and went out and bought a $500 frontstuffer and scope set-up.
well day one of the season at 0915 a 4 pt. comes in at 40 yards and i shoot. in the smoke i see nothing but i do hear him crashing away. i am flabergasted and amazed. a 295 gr. CVA powerbelt didnt "put him down". i walk to the spot where he was standing and search for blood. there is NONE.
i missed. shocked and dissapointed i am done for the day. i break out a box of "NO EXCUSES" 50 cal 460 gr. bullets w/ the idea that "this is sure to put one down". i check my scope and get on with it. friday night i get a shot at another little buck and when the smoke clears he IS NOT THERE??!!??!!
"how can that be" i wonder. a few min later i hear a shot deeper into the woods in the direction the deer was facing and figure i shot poor and hope someone else got him down.
i walk the 60 yards to the spot where he stood and look for blood. i know that "that" bullet must have left a hole big as my fist in the deer.
30 min later i am didgusted and ready to sell my ruger and never hunt primative season again. not a hair or drop of blood. another missed deer. how can it be. a Marine Corps veteran rifle expert, SCLEO 2nd place sniper for 2000 and i cant hit a deer at less that 100 yards!!??!!!??
well last night while setting up a blind for my hunting buddy we stubled upon the deer from friday. hit was right where i put the crosshairs.
we carried it off to a site and put it in a slash burn.
i am again disgusted w/ myself.
i want to apologize to you Gizmo. i was hasty in my remarks and didnt have any basis for my position. i understand a bit more about hunting in general and alot about muzzle loading. in my effort to prove you wrong i did nothing but waste one (probably two )of Gods creatures.
ART, what can i say? i was wrong. i aslo went around the prohibition and reinstated myself to the site using an alias.
i dont know how i can replace or repair what i have done. i'v prayed about it and consuled w/ a couple of life long hunters and have a few good ideas.
again i am truly sorry and humbled by this whole episode.
i hope someone reads this and learns a lesson.
OPUSXX
Old October 7, 2001, 07:31 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Welcome back!!!

I read your post this morning and have thought about a reply most of today.

I'm really glad your here!

I have had a couple of "significant emotional experiances" in life myself. My hat is off to you for sharing yours with us.

As my late father used to say, it's a real man that can admit he's wrong. It takes a special sort of person to do so on an open forum such as this.

Not much else I can say.

Gizmo99

Al Thompson
Columbia SC
Old October 7, 2001, 11:16 PM   #3
XXSUPO

Gizmo, if you can make it up to spartanburg tuesday your welcome to hunt 88 private acres with me.
Old October 9, 2001, 08:34 PM   #4
CD1

XXSUPO,

That is a terrible feeling indeed. I know the feeling of losing an animal like that.

I applaud you for being man enough to make that statement.
Old October 13, 2001, 10:33 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

No problem! Glad you're back! I always hate to lose anybody from TFL. Makes me feel like somehow I have failed in something...Kinda like the DI in Heinlein's "Starship Trooper".

Somebody is s'posed to have said, "Life is a learning experience.", and I reckon that's close enough for gummint work.

, Art