The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 29, 2016, 10:25 PM   #1
P71pilot

Comfort issue with holster

I have fairly recently ordered and received a standard Aliengear standard model cloak tuck leather IWB holster for my Walther PPQ m2 .40 that I bought to carry.

I have found myself not wanting to carry the Walther at all because the aliengear holster is so uncomfortable to me, which I was not expecting as almost every review I have read States how comfortable this holster is. Lucky this holster was inexpensive or I would be furious.

I'll try to describe my issues; I will start by saying I am a small man, about 5'6" slightly stocky build and about 140lbs undressed with a 31" waist. I am new concealed carrier, and have only carried outside of my house a total of about 5 times. I prefer to carry at 3 o clock to 3:30 sometimes, as this allows me a nice quick comfortable draw and also hides the pistol well as my upper torso is a fair bit wider in all directions than my waist. I have my Aliengear holster setup with the pistol riding as high as possible (conceals best for me), at the standard setting with no extra cant.

When I wear the holster and pistol (Walther PPQ ), it seems like they are crushing/ hurting my hip bone. I only have about 10-12% body fat, so my hip bone does not have that much padding or protection around it, I am no where near scrawny but because my waist is small, and the holster has such a wide/HARD permanent profile, it will not conform to my side like if should. The leather wings on the side fold as much as they can to match my body, but the wide stiff plastic shell hurts my side.

It is not an option to wear the holster nearer to my back/spine, although it conceals even better and is alot more comfortable, I cannot reach my arm that far back to draw well. It is extremely uncomfortable for my arm/shoulder and the draw is slow and uncoordinated. I must have my pistol at 3:00-3:30. With this huge issue in mind I have been carrying my 1911 in the junky holster I have for it. This setup is unbelievably comfortable and I almost forget I am wearing a pistol. The weight is not an issue and the 1911 actually disappears better even being so low down to my belt line. So I carry it instead.

It is just a shame that the aliengear does not work for me and I am outside of the 30 day return period. I guess these holsters just weren't designed for smaller people, because I don't believe any smaller person that is not obese finds these comfortable. I cannot afford another holster so I am out of luck, I may just sell the Walther and it's holster and keep my trusty 1911 for all my purposes, I trust it enough for anything I could possibly need it for.
Old April 29, 2016, 11:24 PM   #2
Cirdan

That kind of IWB holster is better around 4:00 than at 3.

If it doesn't work for you, I'm inclined to say join the club. Most CCWers will tell you they have a shoebox full of holsters. I have a couple. I'ved tried these kinds of IWB holsters at 4 - 4:30 and just don't find them comfortable. I keep going back to an LCP (pocket carry) or LC9.

Sell the aliengear on ebay and look for another approach. I am not a fan of appendix carry, but that may fit your need better.
Old April 30, 2016, 06:24 AM   #3
upstate81

I cant believe you expected to find the perfect holster right off the bat! I have a foot locker half full of holsters. Some i bought new plenty used and i even made one myself. Holsters are a trial and error process that takes time. It would be a beautiful thing to find a whole store that is just holsters so one can try them out before you buy.
Old April 30, 2016, 07:09 AM   #4
AK103K

If youre just starting to shop for holsters, you'd best go down to the bank, and get a HELOC to fund the search, cause this is likely to get ugly.

Good holsters aint cheap, and there are a lot of good "quality" holsters that dont work. It just is what it is. And after all that, you may find the cheapest, junkiest one you bought, is the one for you.

On the positive side, EBay is a great place to recover some of that money wasting away in those holster boxes you accumulate. Its also a great place to pick up good holsters for a reasonable price to try out.

Before you go trying everything in sight, Id figure out where you find it most comfortable to carry the gun, and start there with holsters geared to that spot. Stuff the gun in your pants and wear it around the house awhile and you should get a good idea.

Im also going to suggest you take a look at AIWB. After carryng IWB at 4:30 or so most of my life, I started carying in this position a couple of years ago, and now wish Id switched years ago. Its more comfortable and concealable than anything else Ive used with a belt holster, and in the summer, I have no troubles hiding a Glock 17 and a reload under my untucked, "normal" sized tee shirt. The Blade Tech holster I use is also about half the price of most of the others too, which is a plus.
Old April 30, 2016, 07:52 AM   #5
RKG

Try a Desantis Speed Scabbard.
Old April 30, 2016, 08:07 AM   #6
Minorcan

I tried AIWB but the pistol kept riding up when I would sit down making it impossible to drive or sit comfortably. Try fitting your gun there and sitting down before investing in an AIWB holster. They can be expensive.

The problems you describe are normal and it takes most folks some time and yes money spent on uncomfortable holsters. I have my share and paid my dues to the holster gods. I ended up mostly carrying in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. I carry a XDS 45 that way. Its more comfortable and is accessible for me. The Nemesis is only about $20 and may be worth a try.

Good luck and be patient. DO some research before buying and see if a friend may have a holster he could lend you before buying to see if you like it. I bet if you like it he would probably sell it to you.
Old April 30, 2016, 10:33 AM   #7
Cheapshooter

If you absolutely can't position the holster further toward your back, try adjusting height, and cant. It might not help if you aren't able to adjust location, but you might find some compromise that works. It's possible that with more forward cant you will be able to comfortably draw from a position closer to 4 o'clock
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 30, 2016, 10:40 AM   #8
P71pilot

Cheapshooter,

My issue isn't really about drawing, it is about the holster itself not fitting my body comfortable. The draw is great how I have it set up but the holster causes me pain when wearing
Old April 30, 2016, 10:44 AM   #9
AK103K

It generally takes the body a week or so of wearing a new holster all the time to get used to it being there and adjusting to it.

New leather holsters also tend to need breaking in, which can add to things.

Maybe you just need to give it some more time.
Old April 30, 2016, 02:18 PM   #10
Navistar

Honestly, when you have been cc for a week everything is uncomfortable. People who put on eye glasses or ball caps for the first time find them very uncomfortable for a month or two as well.
Old April 30, 2016, 02:44 PM   #11
K_Mac

Because of the spring steel insert the backing cannot bend enough to fit comfortably at 3:00. A friend has one that he loves, but like you I do not like to carry at 4:00-4:30 which is where it is designed to be worn. It is a well made, inexpensive holster that just doesn't work for everyone. None of them do...
Old April 30, 2016, 04:15 PM   #12
BigJimP

Comfort is a big deal...and finding the right fit for you is important.

If you have some buddies with the same gun ...maybe they have holsters for it, that they will let you try.

Personally, I carry full sized 1911's...so it was easy to find guys that have a variety of 1911 holsters..that I could at least try ...

...but I long ago settled on Kramer ( horsehide ) leather ...his horsehide IWB with the forward FBI tilt...suits me very well...( so I've invested in them for my 1911's, K frame S&W revolvers and in Sig Saurer to fit a Sig 239...)....I also like his scabbard holsters ( same forward FBI tilt ) for range training. Kramer came up in local classes as a solid holster - and a number of my buddies have them in a variety of styles. I have buddies that carry using other mfg's ...but Kramer suits about 75% of the guys that I hang out with.
Old April 30, 2016, 04:55 PM   #13
jasmith85

I went through very similar issues trying to find a good holster. My problem was the complete opposite of yours though. I am a bit overweight and as such the gut gets in the way making anything worn in the front uncomfortable. The Aliengear cloak tuck is actually the holster I finally found that was comfortable for me, since its designed to be worn in the back rather than the front like most of the holsters I had tried before. The cloak tuck may not be the holster for you, but if you keep looking you will finally find "the one".
Old April 30, 2016, 06:24 PM   #14
Slimjim9

I'm in the same boat. Small frame, AG for my G19 just doesn't work. I did find an OWB Kydex for it that is comfortable but doesn't seem all that concealable (but I honestly haven't tried very hard to dress around it). I'm pocket carrying an LCR357. IWB Kydex for the LCR digs into all kinds of bones too. Desantis mini-scabbard OWB works pretty well for the LCR too but I usually default to the Nemesis in the pocket.

Sorry for the rambling post but it is reflective of the process so far.

Last edited by Slimjim9; April 30, 2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old April 30, 2016, 06:49 PM   #15
lee n. field

---delete---
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 30, 2016, 07:47 PM   #16
Nathan

It looks like you wanted a hybrid IWB holster for some reason. The Alien Gear brand has a super wide footprint for the plastic. I can see why you found it too flat, stiff, inflexible or whatever your words were.

I have the Comptac Spartan. It has a much narrower kydex piece. It conforms to my shape, but I am a bit fat....6'3" 290lb. 44" waist. Still, I think it would be worth a try for you. I like how the rough out "sticks" to me with mild belt pressure.

If this still seems too wide, please consider the Milt Sparks Summer Special. It would be about thnarrowest. There are many who make a holster like this, but ms gets the butt angle, cant and all other fit elements right. Not everybody can and wrong is invisible in pictures.
Old April 30, 2016, 07:54 PM   #17
P71pilot

I think honestly I am going to have to resort to all leather, which I would prefer anyways. I only got the aliengear because of great reviews across the board and price. Mainly price. I would like to keep the Walther so I think I may just carry the 1911 comfortably until I can afford a decent all leather IWB holster for the walther
Old April 30, 2016, 10:23 PM   #18
dyl

P71pilot

I carry IWB in a hybrid holster. I am close to your height.

I first started carrying pocket carry and still do so the majority of the time. The convenience to me is unbelievable. However when I "feel" like I need more gun or easier access (driving long distance), it is IWB at 4 - 5 o clock in a hybrid leather/kydex holster with a wide footprint.

A key point that you will find is necessary no matter what belt position / holster design you end up with is that good *belt* is necessary. A dress belt or even single layer belt bought from any big box store softens up quickly, rolls and sags under weight, and does not have nearly the stiffness and support of a purpose-made gunbelt. You will find that as a regular belt gets soft you will have to cinch it tight making it even *more* uncomfortable. A gun belt can hold the same weight (or more of course) while being looser because the belt itself is a stiff ring supporting your rig instead of relying on hugging the wall of your waist. That gets old fast. Here's a test. If you hook up all your gear on your belt (without you in it), buckle the belt, and hold the belt in front of you, can it support the rig?

I didn't go crazy with spending money on a belt. Many will recommend "the belt man" and I hear great things about his belts. My first gun belt was a Cabelas sport belt around 20-30 dollars. Double layered/ stitched, 1.25 inches wide and it stayed stiff for 2-3 years. Then the ends started having more flex and it was demoted. I tried an Aker B21 on clearance but the ordered size was too small and the leather was just a little thinner than I had anticipated. Now I have a Daltech Biothane belt which is a tiny bit more flexible than I thought it was going to be, but it's comfortable for me. Nylon webbing on the inside and black polyurethane (tough stuff) on the outside. Looks like a sturdy dress belt. If this ever gives up the ghost, I will go for a big foot gun belt with spring steel insert just for kicks.

A word about holsters. Fashion or trends change amazingly fast in the gun industry as new companies need to have some novel idea to sell. I got into carrying when Crossbreed and other hybrid holsters were the "new thing". Then came the all kydex holsters. Who knows what it is now.

My holster design is much the same as yours. A wide hybrid. The bottom edge of mine is flat with no cutout to allow for the thigh to rise as I walk or sit down. That's because mine was built for 4-5:00, and came with instructions stating so. I was disappointed at first because drawing and concealment seemed easier at 3:00, and all the demonstration and competition videos I had seen online were strong side hip 3:00. However after carrying and checking myself in the mirror concealed at 4:30 even with a simple white T-shirt, I find the best concealment/mobility compromise to be exactly there. My scapula and the surrounding muscle groups provide a shadow of T-shirt material. I can wear my rig a little looser because as the gun slips downwards, the "caboose" provides material to angle the grip towards me and increase diameter at the same time. There's a little bit of psychological comfort having it just under my wing when it's at 3:00 because I would "check to make sure it's there" often but I don't think it's necessary. As I carried more I realized that people are not looking at you in detail, and I felt more comfortable shifting the firearm further "out of my reach" towards 4:30. Most people are stuck to their phones, busy trying to not stand out or experience awkwardness, or in their own little world.

Also drawing is not a problem. No I will not be able to draw using the same *exact* technique that I saw on all the demos of people wearing the sponsored shirts. All it takes is a little bit of practice and you're just as fast. I participated in an IDPA match with my carry holster IWB 4:30 under a T shirt (no fishing vests...too cool for me lol) and spare mags in my pocket and came in middle of the pack. That was my first time doing IDPA. And I will continue to use my carry setup because I need the practice.

**after re-reading your post, I see you mentioned you cannot reach back to 4-5:00 position. To reach more easily, I usually twist a little and lean forward slightly. I have adjusted my holster to cant the pistol forward so it's pretty easy to get a good firing grip. If you have had an injury or situation that cannot be trained I think you may indeed have the wrong holster for your requirements as it sounds like you have one meant for 4-5:00.
Old April 30, 2016, 11:19 PM   #19
Skeets
Member in memoriam

Carry Comfort

Maybe this can be some help.Started years and years ago with DeSantis Nemisis holsters.Satisfied 100%,May'be a slight tweak 's all necessary.Best Luck,Skeets
Old May 2, 2016, 03:19 AM   #20
Koda94

Quote:
Originally Posted by P71pilot
I'll try to describe my issues; I will start by saying I am a small man, about 5'6" slightly stocky build and about 140lbs undressed with a 31" waist. I am new concealed carrier, and have only carried outside of my house a total of about 5 times. I prefer to carry at 3 o clock to 3:30 sometimes, as this allows me a nice quick comfortable draw and also hides the pistol well as my upper torso is a fair bit wider in all directions than my waist. I have my Aliengear holster setup with the pistol riding as high as possible (conceals best for me), at the standard setting with no extra cant.
Alien Gear IWB holsters are not designed for slender fit individuals, it even says so in their instructions where it also says it was designed to be worn in the 4:30 position.

I agree that the 3:30 position is better for IWB carry for slender people, you need a new holster that is more flexible, look for one with a smaller kydex shell profile. I would try a Crossbreed Supertuck (or mini tuck depending...) it has a simple thin leather back with a low profile kydex shell and curves easily around a slender fit person.
Old May 2, 2016, 09:44 PM   #21
michael t

IWB all leather no plastic I wear UBGholsters.com and have for years . I take naps with holster and pistol on . Almost for get its their .

My UBG holsters carry 1911's from full size to compact, Kahr CW9, KelTec, PF-9 Bersa thunder , PPK/s . .
Old May 3, 2016, 11:28 PM   #22
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Cheapshooter,

My issue isn't really about drawing, it is about the holster itself not fitting my body comfortable. The draw is great how I have it set up but the holster causes me pain when wearing

This is what I was referring to. With more forward cant it might make drawing possible with the holster moved back to a more comfortable position. It worked for me with a bad shoulder, hip replacement, but a whole lot more body mass.
Quote:
It is not an option to wear the holster nearer to my back/spine, although it conceals even better and is alot more comfortable, I cannot reach my arm that far back to draw well.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 4, 2016, 11:08 AM   #23
seeker_two

For IWB, I never liked the hybrids. The Blade-Tech Klipit Ambi works well for me at 4:30 whether I carry my LC9 or SD9VE.

That said, I prefer my OWB holsters for most carry situations. I have a Desantis Thumbbreak Scabbard for the LC9 and a custom kydex rig for my SD9VE from Alameda Holsters. I've been impressed with the quality, and I plan to get one for the LC9 when the Desantis wears out.

http://alamedacustomholsters.com/

Of course, a good belt is essential. I like the Frequent Flyer Belt with 5-Stitch from Wilderness Tactical.
Old May 8, 2016, 08:45 AM   #24
mrt949

Galco triton kydex .Give it a try .
Old May 8, 2016, 10:22 AM   #25
str8tshot

I am not that thin. I wear a 34" waist at an even 6'. I wear a desantis all leather speed tuck/super tuck (something like that) at either 4:30 or appendix, depending on need. I also have a soft leather Galco for my G30 I wear at both positions. The thing to remember is IWB holsters take a bit of room for the pants to get around. At 3:00, the body is already occupying that space; there is a bit of an opening in front of or behind the hip bone. I don't buy bigger pants just to carry, and I live in Florida so I dress light.
An IWB may not be your best option for a 3:00 position.

Tags
aliengear , discomfort , iwb