The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 14, 2012, 07:06 PM   #1
Woozze

Henry Reapeating arms working on the 1860 henry rifle!

Many of you know the famous 1860 Henry Reapeating Rifle that the southerners dubbed "the damn yankee rifle that they load on Sunday and shoot all week!" well I recently sent a message to the president of Henry Reapeating Arms (Anthony Imperato) saying that they, (will resurrect the original Henry design by the end of the year in 44-40." what do you guys think about that and how it will compare to Uberti's model?
Old May 14, 2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Hawg

It will probably be as good or better than Uberti but will probably cost more. FWIW Henry Repeating Arms Co. has no affiliation with the original Henry rifle which was made by New Haven Arms Co.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:08 PM   #3
Ideal Tool

Hello, When the reproduction 1860 Henry rifles first came out, I believe some were made in rimfire..I have a Guns & Ammo with article on a Union Pacific railroad Uberti commemerative. At the time, the .44-40 made sense. Now, however, thanks to the CASS, we have available again, a center-fire round, that is pretty close to the original .44 henry flat rimfire in size...the .44 Russian...and don't forget, there was a .44 Henry centerfire chambered in some 1866 Winchesters. There just might be enough room to fit 16 of these little .44's in there. There have been reports of frame stretching from the use of the
.44-40 ctg. in the brass framed Henry's, and the use of a smaller .44 makes more sense.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:28 PM   #4
Jim Watson

I think it will be a cosmetic copy with operation like the existing Henry Big Boy.
No way an American company can tool up from scratch to build a real replica of a period rifle that costs $1000 from a hurting European economy.
Old May 15, 2012, 06:21 AM   #5
MJN77

Quote:
At the time, the .44-40 made sense. Now, however, thanks to the CASS, we have available again, a center-fire round, that is pretty close to the original .44 henry flat rimfire in size...the .44 Russian...and don't forget, there was a .44 Henry centerfire chambered in some 1866 Winchesters. There just might be enough room to fit 16 of these little .44's in there.
It would be a niche market. Not everyone just shoots at steel targets with their replica rifles, and a .44 russian isn't an ideal hunting round (niether was the .44 rimfire, that's why the .44-40 came into being in the first place). Don't hold your breath that any manufacturer will mass produce a rifle for that round.

Quote:
There have been reports of frame stretching from the use of the
.44-40 ctg. in the brass framed Henry's, and the use of a smaller .44 makes more sense.
That is only partly true. The frame stretching issues were reported with HOT SMOKELESS HANDLOADS, not factory or full BP loads. As long as the ammo is within SAAMI specs, the rifles are fine.
Old May 15, 2012, 07:51 AM   #6
Andy Griffith

Exactly what is the allure that people have with Henry? I just don't understand how they ask the prices on the pieces they offer- their rimfires are new incarnations of Ithaca designs at vastly inflated prices with a bit of brass plating. I do understand that they do one heck of a job in marketing as I see their ads everywhere.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:11 AM   #7
DPris
Member Emeritus

Not strictly Ithaca designs, since the Ithacas were made by Erma in West Germany for Ithaca.
Denis
Old May 15, 2012, 08:43 PM   #8
Hawg

I think a lot of people associate Henry with the Henry of 1860. It's a misguided association. They do make good guns tho. I personally don't care for the centerfires but the .22's are most excellent.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:27 PM   #9
MJN77

Quote:
I think a lot of people associate Henry with the Henry of 1860
That's because the modern Henry company tried to make that connection in it's marketing ads. They even had a pic of an original Henry on their catalog years ago. There is NO connection.

From their website:
Quote:
Today, the Henry Repeating Arms Company, A DESCENDANT OF THE VENERABLE GUNMAKER, makes its home in Bayonne, New Jersey.
Supposedly there is a distant family connection with B. Tyler Henry, but that has nothing to do with the guns.
Old May 15, 2012, 10:30 PM   #10
idaram

Time to start savin".!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It just never ends! But it is sooooooooooooooo much fun.

Regards,

Andy
Old May 16, 2012, 06:57 AM   #11
rebs

Quote:
I think a lot of people associate Henry with the Henry of 1860. It's a misguided association. They do make good guns tho. I personally don't care for the centerfires but the .22's are most excellent.
I have a Henry Golden Boy in 22 and absolutely love it, it is not only a beautifully made rifle but equally beautiful looking and it's accuracy is excellent. I plan on buying another Henry in either 357 mag or 44 mag.
Old May 16, 2012, 04:15 PM   #12
Hardcase

Quote:
Exactly what is the allure that people have with Henry? I just don't understand how they ask the prices on the pieces they offer- their rimfires are new incarnations of Ithaca designs at vastly inflated prices with a bit of brass plating. I do understand that they do one heck of a job in marketing as I see their ads everywhere.
The two rimfire Henrys that I own are extremely accurate, very well assembled and the company has provided top notch service to me. Both were on sale when I bought them and I don't regret paying the price. There's no doubt that I put, by far, more rounds through my Golden Boy than through any other firearm I own.

They're also made in America.
Old May 16, 2012, 04:45 PM   #13
Hawg

The Henry Golden Boy is accurate as all get out, the action is slicker than snot on a porcelain doorknob and it's purty on top of it all.

Tags
1860 , civil war , henry , rifle , union