The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 12, 2012, 05:06 PM   #1
Old 454

Cimaron Thunder

I just put money down on a Cimeron Thunder 3.5" barrel with birs head wood grips.

$425 used, thye store sales man said it was 6 years old and it looks like it was hardly fired at all, very very clean.

Do any of you all have any experience with a Cimeron Thunder.

any details would be great, and also it does not come with the original box or pamplets,any one know where I might get the paper work that would come with one ?

thanks for the help
Old May 15, 2012, 02:48 AM   #2
olyinaz

If that gun is Uberti made, and I suspect that it is, then I think many of us are familiar with it in any number of names/models. It's a SAA 1873 clone but with the Lightning/Thunderer birdshead grip. Ubertis are well made and I like the door knob feel of that grip A LOT - much more so than the standard plow handle grip on a standard SAA, and mine is a short barrel like yours that just shoots great.

Check out Cimarron's web site and see if they have owner's manuals for download, and if not try Uberti's web site and look for a Cattleman owner's manual.

Oly
Old May 16, 2012, 03:30 AM   #3
arcticap

There's the Cimarron Thunderball 8 .45 Colt made by Pietta.
Photos of the gun and a fired target can be found in post #11:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ight=thunderer
Old May 16, 2012, 07:56 AM   #4
twobit

The Cimarron Thunderer is made by Uberti. Recently Cimarron added the Thunderball,which is made by Pietta. Very similar to the Thunderer. They added some other Pietta's as well.

Their website has a drop down menu. Go to handguns, then to Pietta, to see their Pietta line. I have a Cimarron Uberti Artillery .45. Very nicely made gun. I would sure like to have either the Thunderer or the Thunderball.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Tanker6

My daughter shot a Thunderer in .357/.38 for SASS for about a year. It was a great pistol. I recently traded it, however, to another pard as an even swap on a pistol that matched her second pistol, an AWA Birdshead in .357/.38. The funny thing is when I got the "new" pistol home, it was a consecutive serial number to the one she already had. Small world.

If I'm not mistaken (which I can often be), the Thunderer is a "not entirely" correct repo that took the Colt Thunderer as it's inspiration. The original Thunderer was one (if not the first) of Colt's first attempts at a double action pistol. I think the original Thunderer was in .41 caliber.

T6 a/k/a Chick
Old May 16, 2012, 12:45 PM   #6
dalegribble

i have the short barreled cimarron thunderer by uberti. it is a very nice gun, mine is in 45 colt. it has a very nice finish and is very smooth to shoot. it is short enough to conceal if needed. it is a uberti gun sold by cimarron and i consider mine a very good shooter and a great value. i love those cowboy 45's.