The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 27, 2017, 10:55 PM   #1
jwise

New S&W M27 broke!

I recently had my local shop order me one of S&W's revolvers from their Classic line, a 4" M27.

I took it to the range and put some .38s downrange. The trigger was pretty stiff, so I bought some snap caps and dry-fired the heck out of it, trying g to break in the trigger. My M29's trigger is SO much better, and I hoped it would smooth out and lighten up like that one did.

Well, I was dry-firing it when it did something weird (felt kinda like a short stroke) and the double-action trigger pull just stopped.

I took it to my gunsmith (same local shop that ordered it). He took it apart and discovered the hammer stud (pin the hammer swings on) broke! Darn thing snapped clean! It was put back together and boxed up to send back to Smith.

I have the WORST luck with firearms.
Old October 27, 2017, 11:48 PM   #2
JMag1

Sorry to hear that, but it might just mean that you have the worst luck with a currently produced S&W revolver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old October 28, 2017, 01:56 AM   #3
DaleA

Urban legend from back in the early 1970's was if you could find a S&W that could be legitimately sent back to the factory you were golden.

The urban legend part, unverified as far as I know, was that if S&W got the gun back the custom shop took care of the defect and usually checked out the whole gun and polished up the things that needed to be polished up and you got a much better gun back than you'd get if you found good 'stock' S&W.

Don't know if it was really true then but I guess you can always hope they'll check out the whole gun and slick it up a little.

Good luck.
Old October 28, 2017, 05:00 AM   #4
UncleEd

Got a brand new Model 66 in the 1980s.

On its first range trip, on about the fifth round, just a click.

Checked and saw that the firing pin had broken off.

While my gun dealer got the hammer repaired, he
put in a spare K-frame hammer which worked
perfectly.

So JMag1, it's nothing new. Neither are broken
off hammer or trigger pins of which I have encountered
on the older guns.

I actually think having a frame mounted firing pin
an improvement over Smith's older hammer mounted
one.
Old October 28, 2017, 06:19 AM   #5
Carmady

I had a similar experience with a recent (2015?) 642. The trigger was scratchy/sandy feeling ever since I got it. It was consistent, but I thought it might be dry since you couldn't put a couple of drops of oil on the front of the cocked hammer. I started shooting it a lot more earlier this year, and removed the side plate to install a lighter rebound spring in hopes of lightening /smoothing up the trigger pull. It had a broken hammer stud, and I'm convinced it was broken all along because there never was a moment where the trigger instantly changed. I won't go into the rest of the problems with that 642, but I have ZERO interest in buying anything new from S&W again.

And your gun is a 27, a big one made from real metal. Good luck with it.

Last edited by Carmady; October 28, 2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old October 28, 2017, 08:14 AM   #6
CajunBass

Quote:
Urban legend from back in the early 1970's was if you could find a S&W that could be legitimately sent back to the factory you were golden.

The urban legend part, unverified as far as I know, was that if S&W got the gun back the custom shop took care of the defect and usually checked out the whole gun and polished up the things that needed to be polished up and you got a much better gun back than you'd get if you found good 'stock' S&W.
That's funny because when I was buying my first handgun, a Model 19 as it turned out, back in the mid 70's, the "old timers" told me not to bother at all with anything new. Just like today, they told me to "get an old one."

I don't know about Smith & Wesson sending a gun back in nicer shape than they got it on a return, but I believe Ruger did with a Security-Six I sent back during that time period. I couldn't really put my finger on anything they did, but the gun just seemed nicer than it was when I sent it back.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 28, 2017, 09:25 AM   #7
SaxonPig

Nothing made by Man is perfect. Machines break. New machines can be faulty. With that said, S&Ws made since 1982 seem to have experienced an unusually high number of failures. Many associated with barrels being off center, loose, of leaving the frame. I would assume that modern materials and computer aided production would make new guns less prone to problems, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

This one is 60 years old and despite plenty of use has never failed.

Old October 28, 2017, 09:30 AM   #8
UncleEd

Seeing Cajun Bass' report brings to mind something I've
believed for a long time:

While I love Smith & Wesson revolvers as excellent,
they have never been as excellent as so many make
them out to be, especially the older ones. Nor Colt.

They all have had or do have their faults from time
to time just like every other mass produced item.

And if you read enough or talk to enough people who
have had custom and semi-custom guns such as so
many 1911s, even they have their faults and failures
from time to time.
Old October 28, 2017, 10:31 AM   #9
Armybrat

That's why I take with a BIG grain a salt those posters who continually badmouth Ruger, Kahr, Remington, & SA.

If I relied on Internet posts about what gun is good for SD, I'd carry a Louisville Slugger.
Old October 28, 2017, 10:47 AM   #10
Carmady

If I had to keep only one of my handguns, it would be a SA XD-S, and it was made in Croatia partly out of a mysterious non-metal substance.
Old October 28, 2017, 11:50 AM   #11
Andrewsky

I used to have bad luck with handguns, then I stopped buying junk. And by junk I don't mean cheap, old guns. Sometimes it's newer, expensive guns that have problems.

You should have done a little bit of research and not have bought a modern S&W. They have gone through so many cost-cutting steps that experts recommend buying ones made before the 1980s (personally I like them up until about 1987). You should read the Kuhnhausen K-frame shop manual to learn about the cost-cutting changes they made.

Is your gunsmith a real gunsmith or is he just an armorer? If he knows what he's doing maybe you could talk him into tuning your mainspring to get you a lighter trigger pull.

In the future you must only purchase firearms that have a stellar reputation for reliability.
Old October 28, 2017, 11:50 AM   #12
DPris
Member Emeritus

Unhappy though I may be with S&W's current revolvers, in fairness to the company this has nothing to do with "new".
It has happened infrequently over the years, old AND new. Can't attribute this one to a QC issue strictly in new Smiths.

The design does allow it to happen, when certain stars line up wrong.
Denis
Old October 28, 2017, 11:54 AM   #13
Andrewsky

Quote:
That's why I take with a BIG grain a salt those posters who continually badmouth Ruger, Kahr, Remington, & SA.

If I relied on Internet posts about what gun is good for SD, I'd carry a Louisville Slugger.
Ultimately you need to take your choice of gun to the range and prove to yourself that the individual unit you have is reliable. But let's be honest, would you bet on any of those being more reliable than say an H&K or a Beretta? I would not.
Old October 28, 2017, 02:19 PM   #14
UncleEd

OK, OK, who let those bottom feeder guys into
this revolver section? Have they no shame?
Old October 28, 2017, 05:28 PM   #15
Armybrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleEd View Post
OK, OK, who let those bottom feeder guys into
this revolver section? Have they no shame?
Bottom feeder?

Last edited by Armybrat; October 28, 2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old October 28, 2017, 06:00 PM   #16
shurshot

Decades ago, prior to the internet, the big manufacturers, S&W, Colt, Ruger, Remington, Bear Archery, Ben Pearson, Ford, Chevy, etc., they all had defective items slip through quality control. It happens when you produce hundreds of thousands of units, multiple stations , employees, shifts, etc. There was no internet then so the issues were not as widely known. The good company's back their work. No worries!
Old December 25, 2017, 03:06 PM   #17
jwise

I just got word a couple days ago from the shop. My M27 is back from the factory. I can't wait to get it in my hands, but it will have to wait until I get back from holiday travels.

I've had guns from Colt, H&K, Sig, etc. go back for warranty work. My shop considers me a test dummy for firearms.
Old December 25, 2017, 06:39 PM   #18
hemiram

I remember a lot of S&W guns coming from the factory in the late '70's to early '80's with problems. I avoid stuff made during that period, in most cases. My new to me 28 was made in 1971, and looks great, inside and out. Just for grins, we compared it side by side with one made in the early 80's and the older one looks better, is a little smoother, and just seems to be better made. Both are much better than current guns, IMHO, in about every way. I have no interest in any new S&W handguns, poly or metal.
Old December 26, 2017, 04:51 PM   #19
Obambulate

I have several S&W revolvers from the early to mid 1970's that are wonderful. The 2 recent ones I bought cannot compare in fit and finish, but they have given me no problems. I did inspect each one carefully in person before buying.
Old December 27, 2017, 12:13 AM   #20
PzGren

As far as I remember S&W employees that assembled the revolvers were paid a pitiful amount in the late 1980s, something like $3.80 per piece. Quality went down and returns and complaints went up to cut into profits. That is when the assemblers were issued codes that were found on the gun and returns had to be fixed by the assembler without extra pay.
Old December 27, 2017, 06:01 AM   #21
rodfac

Quote:
Very true. I liked 20 miles from the plant in Springfield at the time and took full advantage of their service. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 28, 2017, 10:50 AM   #22
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Regarding the quality of the 1970s Smiths to the earlier guns.

Here is the frame of one of my 1970s era guns. Notice how beautiful the machining is.

This is the frame of a K-38 made before CNC machining came along. Notice how much rougher the machining is.

Does this necessarily mean the 1970s gun is a better gun than the earlier K-38?

No.

Before CNC machining came along, frames were hogged out on pattern cutting millers. An operator would manipulate handles which would keep a stylus pressed against a template to create the complex curves of the hogged out area of the frame. The feed rate of the cutter was not programmed, the operator controlled the feed rate by how hard and fast he moved the handles. This would result in a rough finish as shown, with random milling marks left behind.

CNC machines have the feed rate programmed in, so a much more consistent finish is possible. It is also possible to take a light finish cut at a reduced feed rate to achieve a beautiful finish. It is up to the programmer how much time to allow the machine to cut the cavity. He has to compromise between a 'perfect' finish, or something slightly less perfect that does not eat up as much machine time.

Time has always been money in the manufacturing world.

The interesting thing about the rougher internal finish of the older gun is, it does not matter. Most of the parts rotate on raised bosses on the studs, so they do not contact the rough machining anyway. In a S&W revolver the only part that rubs on the floor of the cavity is the rebound slide. The photo of the rough finish shows a bit of a rub mark, from the rebound slide rubbing over the rough surface for many years.
Old December 28, 2017, 11:10 AM   #23
ammo.crafter

S&W

I gather that I should hold onto my Smith model 14 and get rid of the rest of them.
Old December 28, 2017, 10:46 PM   #24
Model12Win

From all reports, it seems as if current S&W guns are the best made in decades.

OP you got a lemon. Get over it. It happens.
Old December 29, 2017, 10:37 AM   #25
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
From all reports, it seems as if current S&W guns are the best made in decades.
I beg to differ.

I bought this Model 686-6 brand-spanky new in 2015.

The first time I took it to the range I had to crank the rear sight way over to the right to get windage correct.

Turns out the barrel was canted pushing the shots to the left. The amount of cant is visible in this photo. The barrel will not allow the crane to close all the way. That is just not right. I have dozens of Smiths, some from every decade since the 1850s. (yes, 1850s) A defect like that would never have left the factory before S&W let their quality control get lax.

The only other MIM and lock S&W I own is this Model 617-6, made in 2003. I bought it used a few years ago because I was shooting a plate match and needed to knock down 8 steel targets in 15 seconds or less. Couldn't do that with a six shooter. It's a nice enough gun, but I hate the full lug barrel.

And the quality inside simply cannot match the quality of my Model 17-3 I bought in 1975.

Yes, I am very biased.

And I will never again buy another brand new Smith and Wesson revolver.