The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old January 12, 2010, 06:52 PM   #1
chevelle383

Magnums for deer...You say overkill I say so what

Lots of people trash talk about taking a 300 win mag or bigger deer hunting. Common arguments are...

"Your trying to make compensate for something..." What are you, 13?

"You just dont need it" No kidding, but if you shoot it well, why not?

"You get more meat damage" Bull...a double lung shot with a 300WM wont damage any more meat than the same shot with a .308. And a shot in the ass with a .308 will damage pretty much the same amount a .338 lapua will. (for all intests and purpose anyway)

"You are just trying to make up for shot placement" Its starting to stink...

"You just need further shots because your not good enough to stalk closer" Actually I bow hunt too, and I dont use a stand

What is with these people? I dont bash them for bringing a 30-30, thats great, but I'd bet my life I can outshoot you with my 300
Old January 12, 2010, 07:07 PM   #2
N.H. Yankee

I have no problem with magnums for deer, the only problem I have seen is when someone uses a bullet designed for deeper penetration than common sense dictates. I have seen a few deer that were lost due to a magnum using the wrong bullet, but the same can be said for many calibers. Shot placement is the number one criteria with any caliber. I have shot deer with a 30-06, 308, 280, 35 rem, 270 Winchester, 257 Roberts, 12ga 20 ga , 50cal black powder and a 30-30. I can say from experience none died any slower or quicker whit proper shot placement.

Today I use the 30-30 Marlin for 90% of my rifle hunting, and have anchored many deer. Magnums are excellent for those long shots that other calibers run out of steam with. I think some people do feel that subjecting their-self to what they view as unneeded and excessive recoil of a magnum is not logical. I also feel some people tend to flinch with these guns and view them as not being as accurate as say a 270. The real important issue is being proficient with the gun you use to make an ethical shot, and choosing the proper bullet to match the game.
Old January 12, 2010, 07:09 PM   #3
DiscoRacing

Im tryin an interesting three shooters next year,,,.223 rifle, 44mag pistol, and 7.62X54 russian mosin nagant...... the last is a lil big.... open sights tho...no enhanced optics.
Old January 12, 2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Demaiter

Why? Because a .25-06 shooting 100 grain tsx's will outdue any 165 grain .300 load to 500 yards or farther - don't hold me to this!

For deer though with a .300 win mag - the .130 grain tsx are a house on fire!
Old January 12, 2010, 07:21 PM   #5
hickstick_10

nothing wrong with liking the calibers, I have a 300 myself (not necesarily what I'd call an uber magnum), but I hardly ever shoot it (was my dads).

Its the idiots who "claim" they hunt deer at 5-700 yards, regularly. And granted there are some who do, but the percentage is so small to the number of people who claim they consistently can kill game at that range is what gives the uber mag crowd a bad name.

Up to 200 yards in a bolt action, Id put my money on the guy with a 30-30 loaded with spitzers, for outshooting you.

Myself I'm gonna try to use my dads old .303 this year (the thing killed a PILE of bear in its day) but lord that gun is as ugly as sin

Last edited by hickstick_10; January 12, 2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old January 12, 2010, 07:22 PM   #6
Slamfire

Chevelle383: Pugnacious aren’t we?

A 300 Win Mag has proven to be an excellent cartridge. It is an accurate one as 1000 yard championships and records have been set with it.

I don’t like Magnums because of the blast and recoil. I don’t like the attitudes I have seen behind magnums. I am also tired of reading put down articles by shill gun writers promoting the latest Wonder Mag. These guys always make negative comparisons of standard cartridges, and by the time you are finished with the article you understand just how bad, how really bad the 30-06 is because Wonder Mag has a 4” flatter trajectory at 425 yards.

As if people who don’t zero their rifles and don’t shoot 20 rounds per year should be shooting at anything 425 yards away.

"Don't worry, its a Weatherby!"

Down here in the deep swampy south, I don’t see a need for flat shooting magnums. A 30-30 will serve very well because you generally can’t see much further than 50 yards through the kudzu. The deer down are around 120 pounds average. A ninety pound deer is not hard to kill. And yet, we have guys who go out into the woods with Wonder Magnums.

Well maybe its good that they are at least out in the woods. But don’t try to convince me that magnums are needed because a standard cartridge is not enough cartridge.

So, why do you shoot a 300 Win Mag?
Old January 12, 2010, 07:26 PM   #7
Buzzcook

If it works for you, fine.
Old January 12, 2010, 07:26 PM   #8
fisherman66

Quote:
What is with these people? I dont bash them for bringing a 30-30, thats great, but I'd bet my life I can outshoot you with my 300
You don't get to throw out fliers in that kind of competition.
Old January 12, 2010, 07:29 PM   #9
FSJeeper

Think of the guy that can only have one hunting rifle or only wants one rifle. He would choose one that would cover as many bases as possible. I have known a number of business associates in the oil business that never know when they are going to be invited on a hunt. It may be in Alaska, Canada, or anywhere in the states. Could range from bear to deer. They choose Magnums.

If it were me, I would choose the .338 WM for that job.

As stated before, with proper bullet contruction for the game being hunted and proper shot placement, I see no issue whatsoever with a Magnum being used to hunt a variety of game as long as you can shoot adequately with the magnum. Especially if you are a handloader.
Old January 12, 2010, 07:30 PM   #10
300magman

I like my 300RUM because everytime I pull the trigger all my buddies (no matter how far away) know I've killed something and without fail at least one of them will show up with a truck so I don't have to drive home with a deer tied onto the trunk of my car
Plus I like the way my eyebrows ripple in the blastwave everytime I set off a full power round
Old January 12, 2010, 07:44 PM   #11
darkgael

well...

I'm really curious as to what prompted the writing of the original post at 6:52 A.M. on a Tuesday. Kind of aggressive for that hour.
Shoot what ya wants ta.
Pete
Old January 12, 2010, 08:16 PM   #12
chevelle383

@ Magman...I dont think your helping our cause much by branging that it makes a whole lot more noise (it does, but not that much more than say..'06) as Id say that one of the better arguments against one in the woods

@ slamfire...I shoot it because its the most accurate gun I own and or I shoot it the best out of my rifles. I love to reload and as jeeper pointed out I can tame them out for deer or pack it in there for elk or moose. One rifle for any north american game, I do love that versitility.

And for what its worth I too agree that 30-30 is the all american deer round. I guarentee it has killed more deer than any other round. I also dislike people bragging about 300, 400, 500+ yard shots. I just dontthink most people are qualified to take that shot.
Old January 12, 2010, 08:56 PM   #13
Dougw47

I used a .338 win mag on a couple of deer...

...did not mess up as much meat as my beloved .270 win 130 grs

The rifle is just a tool. I killed a hog with a 45 Colt round in my H&R .410, as long as it works...who cares.

We had a guy on the lease that got his 4 deer every year with a Win. 32.20,
he was almost 80 yrs old. Whatever works for you is good enough for us.

Last edited by Dougw47; January 12, 2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling edit
Old January 12, 2010, 09:05 PM   #14
223nut

Watched a hunting show lastnight where the guy shot a deer with a 50BMG in ND at 900+yrs
Old January 12, 2010, 09:18 PM   #15
hickstick_10

Quote:
Watched a hunting show lastnight where the guy shot a deer with a 50BMG in ND at 900+yrs
Why dont those guys ever do it with a sharps or a highwall?
Old January 12, 2010, 09:27 PM   #16
Hog Hunter

I shoot a 7mm rem mag for all the big game i hunt. Know its not a 30 but i dont see the big deal with magnum calibers. People tell me all the time thats too much gun for deer, I say better too much than not enough!
Have a buddy that shoots a 300 rem ultra I really dont see the big deal, unless ofcourse your shooting deer with a 300 grain ball out of it
Old January 12, 2010, 09:32 PM   #17
Abel

Shootin' a magnum for deer is like goin' hoggin' for women. Its not for everybody, but some fellas seem to enjoy'em. I like non magnum women & rifles.
Old January 12, 2010, 09:33 PM   #18
Big Bill

I say - I shoot a 300 wsm because I have a small dinky.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old January 12, 2010, 09:36 PM   #19
Hog Hunter

Lmao thats what we say bout my buddy that shoots the 300rum, i love gettin him worked up. Then we pull them out and measure em.
The rifles that is!!
Old January 12, 2010, 09:58 PM   #20
StiveC2007

Hey who cares dead is dead am I right. Also why scrap by with the bare mininum a .223 can kill a dear but I like to use a .30-06 thats just what I prefer.
Old January 13, 2010, 12:16 AM   #21
WatongaJim

I'd never say anything bad about using the big magnums and I wish I had one but I can relate to meat damage, as this is my primary reason for hunting. Most all of my shots are less than 100 yards and I do know what happens when I've used a .308 versus a.30-30 at this range. For me, an 80 yard shot using a .308 into the front shoulder totally destroyed the front quarter of the deer. Similiar shots with a .30-30 at this range resulted in less meat damage and still dropped the deer in it's tracks. I guess better shot placement would have helped reduce damaged meat but I'll be sticking with the .30-30 for shots less than 100 yards for this reason.
Old January 13, 2010, 12:23 AM   #22
Big Bill

You should see what my 300 WSM does to a coyote at 1000 yards. He doesn't even hear the report of the rifle till after he's already dead.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old January 13, 2010, 12:29 AM   #23
StiveC2007

Anybody here use shotgun slugs for deer. those slugs are much bigger than a .30 cal bullet. ever see how much damage a slug does. this is why I like to Bow hunt, you get close and its more exciting and plus I shoot slick tricks so the whole isnt that bad as compared to the rage broad head. Lots of good meat if processed right. and plus deer are so delicious

I say hunt with what you like, just make sure its a quick and humane kill. If we are going to kill an animal we might as well make it quick so the animal doesnt suffer.
Old January 13, 2010, 12:33 AM   #24
Water-Man

chevelle383...You better be careful what you're betting your life on.
Old January 13, 2010, 01:09 AM   #25
Parabuteo

Magnums for deer...You say overkill I say so what

Chevelle 383 wrote: " And for what its worth I too agree that 30-30 is the all American deer round. I guarantee it has killed more deer than any other round."

Chevelle,

Maybe the 30-30 has killed a bunch of deer but I bet you one thing, I bet you that the 30-30 has crippled more than about all the rest of them put together too.

Take care, Parabuteo
Closed Thread