The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 24, 2009, 10:59 PM   #1
lemming303

I dropped my Blackhawk, now I am having issues...

I know, dropping it was absolutely horrible and stupid. The worst part is it fell out of the treestand I was in and hit every single rung on the ladder on the way down. I tried to shoot a possum the next day and at 10 ft it hit 6 inches low. This was at a 30 degree downward angle from me to the possum, and it was only about 10 ft away. It is a .45 Colt with regular iron sights, nothing special. I have handloads that are rather hot pushing a .300 grain gas check bullet at around 1150. I had it sighted in at 25 yds before. I have not checked the zero since it fell, however I have boresighted it. I could only do this at around 8 yds (the distance of my living room) and it was 6 to 7 inches low from the laser, but still perfect vertically. At a closer range of about half that distance it was around 3 to 4 inches below the laser. Theoretically, that would mean the trajectory would never come up past the line of sight right? But if that is true, I don't understand how it could have gotten that far off just by dropping it. The front sight does not appear to have moved. It has no provision for vertical adjustment, and is pinned in towards the middle of the sight blade. The rear sight is all of the adjustment, and it is a leaf type. It's possible the screw could have moved, causing the sights to go off, but I still don't see how it could affect it that much. Is it possible that the barrel got bent, causing it to be that off? I seriously hope that is not the issue... I have not fired the pistol besides at the possum. I am going to take it tomorrow and shoot it, and see where it hits at 25 yds. Thanks for any input.
Old December 24, 2009, 11:12 PM   #2
Sarge

Crap happens.

Just go zero it again and shoot it enough to make sure it stays put.
Old December 24, 2009, 11:18 PM   #3
smee78

How about a lanyard ring on your gun Just go try to re zero it again and see what happens.
Old December 25, 2009, 01:21 AM   #4
HiBC

Of course,I cannot tell you what is wrong.

I can offer you a theory to check out.Lkely,if it spun down a bunch of ladder rungs,it is not the same as a seven story fall on concrete.That might bend a frame or bbl,maybe.But rolling down a ladder,I doubt could bend major components.

but,what I think is more likely,the rear sight,is sort of a corner or projection that can get clobbered.

The rear sight is a piece of aluminum,blacked out,with a hole drilled through it for a crosspin.That rear sight might bend pretty easy,smacked by the rest of the gun.

Straitening it might be possible,but a new one from Ruger is possible and I believe there are aftermarket ones that might/might not be better.See Brownell's.

Consider the old rear sight rule,"move the sight in the direction you want to move the group"

You are shooting low,and bashing the rear sight would lower the group

I am an imperfect being,myself.

I'm glad you are not shot
Old December 26, 2009, 05:20 PM   #5
roklok

Laser bore sighters are not accurate on handguns, especially heavy caliber revolvers throwing heavy bullets, as the handgun starts to rise from recoil before bullet clears muzzle. So your laser boresighting is really not relevant.
Old December 26, 2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Edward429451

Every rung? I bet that was the longest 2 or 3 seconds of your life.
Old December 31, 2009, 05:11 PM   #7
lemming303

Yeah, it was a long 3 seconds. My wife was standing on the ground too, she was scared as well.

Here's what I've done. I went and fired the pistol at 25 yds. The shots were all over. On a regular size 5-point target (the ones with 5 crosshair type squares on it, about 18 x 24 inches) I only hit 3 out of 6 shots on paper. I have no idea how it could have gotten so inaccurate, other than somehow it changed the harmonics of the barrel, causing my loads to be inaccurate. If that is the case it is not too big of a deal, as I was gonna work up some new loads with a different powder anyway. Thanks for the help yall.
Old December 31, 2009, 06:20 PM   #8
Slamfire

The first thing I would suspect is loose sights.

The front sight blade on my Blackhawk is screw fastened to the barrel, the Superblack hawk is pinned.

Without examining the pistol, I don't really know.

Old December 31, 2009, 07:57 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

In spite of a lot of hooey about the super strength of Ruger receivers (impossible to blow up, can run a locomotive over them, strongest gun ever made, etc., et nauseam cetera), I strongly suspect the frame is bent. If the explanation does not turn out to be something simpler (sights knocked awry), I would return it to Ruger for a checkup.

Jim