The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 2016, 05:52 PM   #1
robhic

This Stuff Gets EVERYWHERE!

At first I thought this sounded like a fairly routine but simple question. Then, I kept having trouble cleaning specks of powder out of ... EVERYTHING!

Finally (!!!) got my bench made and installed Thursday. Been setting up, playing with the beam scale (it's a backup for the digital but still...), the Lee Perfect Powder Measure (trial-and-error for the handgun cartridges I'm loading) and organizing, working with my Rock Chucker and learning the best way to utilize it.

I loaded a few rounds using different powders to go compare differences and specks of powder just won't behave. Trying to dump the reservoir of the powder measure to change powders, and most goes back in the bottle. Tiny specks all over that I brushed out with a small brush. Not too bad. But specks still show up all over. The measure, the funnel(s), ME, the bench top, etc. No fans or heavy breathing. Going slow.

Besides using a clothes dryer anti-static sheet, any tips? Anything I should do I might not BE doing? I know it's not a lot, but it's irritating and over time seems it will waste powder. Plus it ends up all over the floor. Thanks!
Old November 20, 2016, 08:00 PM   #2
Tsquared

Spewing powder lets you know that the Lee Perfect Powder Measure still has powder in the hopper.

I have had one for many years and I will only use it for load work-ups. I weigh every drop as the "Perfect" Powder Measure will be close but it has problems dropping powder consistently. I may get 5 drops right on the money then it will be off for the next few.
Old November 20, 2016, 08:35 PM   #3
pnac

If I read it right, problem seem to be static electricity. Wash hopper with dish soap/water solution, don't rinse, allow to air dry. Works for me.
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old November 20, 2016, 08:43 PM   #4
shootbrownelk

Wipe things like the inside of the powder hopper and funnel and pan with a used dryer sheet....no more static cling. Lee powder measures are way messier than my RCBS and Lymans. I clean my loading bench fairly often, I have 4 powder measures , 3 RCBS presses and one Pacific and 2 MEC shotshell presses. No big deal cleaning periodically.
Old November 20, 2016, 10:07 PM   #5
FITASC

And keep a Shop-Vac handy - works great for powder and spent primer pickup. You should be living in a dry area to have that much static after using a dryer sheet, not NOLA
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 21, 2016, 06:40 AM   #6
daboone

If you are using the Lee Perfect PM there is a fix. Lapping the cone sections with some 120 grit valve grinding stuff. Just add a couple of dabs to the cone, insert rub together in a back and forth motion. Once in awhile rotate both sections in different direction to keep things round and not wearing one side more than another. Add more of the grit as it squeezes out.

I've done this to 3 PPM. It takes about 30 to 60 minutes to smooth out all the "dips". Those dips will appear after the first 2 minutes of lapping. When complete it will not leak even H110. It is those dips that are responsible for the leaks.

The PPM is an excellent PM, one of the best for extruded/stick powders but they do require some work to get them perfect.

I've noticed that the newer PPMs come with much beefier stands which is a big improvement.
Old November 21, 2016, 07:07 AM   #7
Don P

For emptying powder hoppers visit the junk tool store (Harbor Freight) and get the 6 funnels for $2 and use a funnel to put powder back in its storage container. Once the powder dispenser gets used the static will go away. I don't advise to sand the inside of the hopper. It is your stuff so do as you please/think is right.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 21, 2016, 10:40 AM   #8
robhic

Quote:
Spewing powder lets you know that the Lee Perfect Powder Measure still has powder in the hopper.
It's not "spewing" powder, it just sticks all over. After dropping all the loads I closed off the hopper, removed it from the base and then opened it into the powder bottle. I cycled the unit into a small glass bowl to empty it completely and used the brush.

Got the bulk out but it still sticks all over the hopper. Some in clumps. I know most is static electricity but just more clumps and small specks (they add up!) than I'd like to leave.

Quote:
If I read it right, problem seem to be static electricity. Wash hopper with dish soap/water solution, don't rinse, allow to air dry. Works for me.
I thought I had read that somewhere. I'll have to try it. Thanks! It's more a nuisance than a problem but I don't want/need specks of powder everywhere plus it could add up over time. (Yes, I'm a cheap-o!) And the 'Dirt Devil' is always close by so maybe this will get better.

Thanks for the tips, I'll give 'em a try and then try again.