The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 9, 2008, 12:13 AM   #1
Dmanbass

Which Shotgun? Help!

I am looking for a replica of the Colt Double Barell Shotgun for Cowboy Action Shooting. I can't seem to locate where to buy them. Is this the best for CAS? Are there other makes that are preferred by those in SASS? Any help is very much appreciated. Once I find my shotgun I'll have all my guns and I will be ready to seriously think about joining. Thanks a bunch!
Old March 9, 2008, 01:01 AM   #2
berkmberk1

Try this out for size........

http://arms2armor.com/store/product616.html
Old March 9, 2008, 02:02 AM   #3
Dmanbass

Beautiful! Just what I wanted, thank you very much.
Old March 9, 2008, 03:20 AM   #4
Hawg

Do you want to compete or just have fun? The hammered doubles are fun but about the slowest. The Winchester 87 lever action is legal but in most hands it is the slowest. The Winchester 97 pump is also legal and with practice it's fast. The Winchester 93 is not legal even tho it's practically the same gun. The easiest to get used to is a hammerless double but it'll probably need some spring work and chamber polishing to make it acceptable.(automatic ejectors are not legal)
Have you ever been to a match? Do you know what all's involved? If not you should go to one and observe. I'm sure you'll be offered the chance to shoot a lot of different guns. That's the best thing to do before you shell out the bucks for guns you may not be happy with.
Old March 9, 2008, 02:39 PM   #5
Dmanbass

You know Hawg that's good advice. I knew there was a reason I came here! I have never been to a match but I think I should go and watch like you said to get the feel of it all. I want to compete. I am sort of tired of just going to the range and shooting paper. I also have a deep interest and facination for our American heritage so this seems like a great outlet for both my interest and fun at the same time. I do love the "look" of those side by sides though. So very nice looking although like you said, not very practical for competition. Perhaps I can get very good with it though? One never knows.

Last edited by Dmanbass; March 9, 2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: poor spelling
Old March 9, 2008, 04:16 PM   #6
Hawg

If you want to be a real competitor you'd better stock up on ammo and then shoot it all and keep doing it. The best can shoot a stage which is usually 10 rifle rounds, 10 pistol rounds(two pistols)and four shotgun shells(loading two at a time)in under 20 seconds. Them boys can fire five rounds out of a sa revolver and hit what they're shootin at faster than most people can pop off five out of a .22 auto. I'll never be a competitor.
Old March 9, 2008, 04:21 PM   #7
Hawg

Dmanbass, sent you a PM.
Old March 19, 2008, 02:28 PM   #8
rocinante

I cheaped out and got a chinese shotgun for 200. I am just getting into this and 2 pistols, a rifle, and a shotgun are a tad expensive and the shotgun was the firearm I was least excited about so I spent as little as I could. Overall I am pleased with it and it looks right and works.

I got mine from classicarms.us
Old March 19, 2008, 06:30 PM   #9
berkmberk1

What did you get? New or used?

I too am looking at a low budget. Right now its one cartridge gun - .45 and a cap and ball .44. The rifle is going to cost no matter what! As for the shotgun, personally I think they ought to eliminate it or add it as an "extra point". To me it seems an entirely useless waste of ammo. At the matches I've been to its basically an exercise in how fast you can load and unload a shotgun without ejectors! If they are going to use them, there ought to be one provided by the club or organization sponsoring the shoot. How many "cowboys" owned much less toted a shotgun except for very special occasions......guard duty on a coach or at a mine, deputy duty, where the gun wasn't probably supplied on a loaner basis?

I would rank their presence at a match as right up there with a silk neckerchief and slide, and spurs......they add to the ambaince but nothing practical to the event itself.........just my opinion y'all.

Ok..........BLAST ME..........
Old March 19, 2008, 06:39 PM   #10
Hawg

I like shotguns, specially stoked with bp. I could do without the levers and pumps tho.