The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 26, 2016, 08:08 PM   #1
barrymore

Fns pistols

How is this an obscure brand not popular like glocks? Do they make good striker pistols in 40? Am not liking glocks due to reported happenings of kabooms in them.
Old April 26, 2016, 08:16 PM   #2
EnoughGUN

FNS

Did you just say FN is an obscure brand?
Old April 26, 2016, 08:30 PM   #3
carguychris

Quote:
How is this an obscure brand not popular like glocks?
FNH is a latecomer to the polymer-frame striker-fired ballgame, and the FNS line doesn't offer anything radically different than the competition, so many shooters have responded with a collective "meh".
Quote:
Do they make good striker pistols in 40?
I don't own one but reports are generally positive.
Quote:
Am not liking glocks due to reported happenings of kabooms in them.
The reports of kB!s are:
  • Wildly exaggerated on the Interwebz;
  • Mostly a problem late Gen2 and earlier production, not new ones;
  • Generally related to the reuse of reloaded "Glocked" or slightly bulged brass.
I would not hesitate to buy a Gen3/4 Glock 22, 23, 27, or 35 due to the kB! issue.
Old April 26, 2016, 08:36 PM   #4
Kvon2

Personally I think the FNX is way better than the FNS but that's a personal preference.

FNH is one of the most historically relevant companies ever.
Old April 26, 2016, 08:41 PM   #5
barrymore

Sorry 1 kaboom is too many. Why should i take a chance when i dont have to?
Old April 26, 2016, 09:15 PM   #6
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymore
Sorry 1 kaboom is too many. Why should i take a chance when i dont have to?
Then you shouldn't buy any guns, ever. There is no major manufacturer that's never had a kaboom on one of their guns. Kabooms happen, and it's almost always due to bad reloads. Glock has a lot of reports of kabooms simply because Glock has more handguns in circulation than almost any other company.

Use halfway decent ammo and you'll be fine. There are some good reasons not to buy a Glock, but fear of kabooms isn't one of them.
Old April 26, 2016, 09:56 PM   #7
Ricklin

Yup best buy insurance....

Any gun can Kaboom.........period. Feed your pistol decent stuff, and the likelihood of that drops to near zero. It's not a reason to avoid Glocks.
Old April 28, 2016, 03:52 AM   #8
kozak6

Glock aggressively pursues the military/police market, which greatly increases their popularity.

FN's pistols are a lightly marketed "me too" entry in a saturated market, except with frighteningly expensive magazines.
Old April 28, 2016, 08:41 PM   #9
barrymore

Are there any issues with fns 40? But why are kabooms happening mostly in glocks 40? Not in 9mm not in 45 not in 357?
Old April 29, 2016, 03:52 PM   #10
Roughedge

Quote:
But why are kabooms happening mostly in glocks 40?
I have seven Glock 40 cals and shot thousands of rounds and never a kaboom,I guess I have been lucky. In the earlier models there was a spot where the case was not fully supported but if you don't overload your round you shouldn't have any problems
Old May 1, 2016, 12:16 PM   #11
Crazy88Fingers

Quote:
Are there any issues with fns 40? But why are kabooms happening mostly in glocks 40? Not in 9mm not in 45 not in 357?
.40 produces more pressure than the 9, and is a lot more popular than the .357. Again it's likely just a matter of the numbers. Widespread kabooms in Glocks is news to me regardless.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:04 AM   #12
carguychris

EDIT: I wrote a fairly long discussion of Glock kB! issue but I've decided to delete it, as this thread is threatening to veer off the original topic (the FNS).

Let's start a new thread if you feel this topic warrants added discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy88Fingers
.40 produces more pressure than the 9, and is a lot more popular than the .357.
While you're certainly correct about the relative popularity of .357 SIG, you're incorrect about .40 S&W and 9mm Luger. Both rounds have the exact same SAAMI maximum pressure – 35,000 psi. The idea that .40 S&W is higher-pressure is a commonly held misconception.

If you consider 9mm+P (38,500 psi) and 9mm NATO*, 9mm is the hotter round.

(*9mm NATO max pressure is 38,400 psi using a slightly more conservative test method; perhaps more significantly, NATO ammo has to provide a certain minimum muzzle velocity, so it's more likely to be loaded closer to the max pressure threshold than commercial 9mm practice ammo.)

Last edited by carguychris; May 2, 2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old May 2, 2016, 01:57 PM   #13
Bart Noir

barrymore, let me welcome you to The Firing Line. A great place for asking questions, as you are.

I owned a couple of FNS pistols (9mm Compact, no safety, and full size 9mm with safety) and maybe still do. They are for sale at a gunshop and I don't know if they have sold.

I'm selling only due to the trigger. There are others which have trigger pulls that I like more.

But the FNS is a fine weapon at a low price. I think it may be a contender if the US ever really gets serious about buying a new sidearm, since it has a safety. And no, I do not think the current talk of an all singing, all dancing pistol is "getting serious" about adopting a new sidearm. But let's not discuss that since carguychris has put us on notice about thread drift

Bart Noir
Who also would be quite happy to own a .40 Glock, if he actually wanted more guns in that caliber. But why have .40 when you can have the big-boy Centimeter (10mm)?