The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 9, 2012, 02:10 AM   #1
deerslayer303

BlackPowder Decor?

Anyone got any pics of your wall hangers? Please post them, I would like to see how everyone else decorated using these awesome looking weapons of yesteryear!

I have one brass 1858 that is going to hang on the front of my mantle. SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) got wind of this and of course disagrees and says " you need to order another one, one for each side" I'm like ooooook then hehe! So anyway the plan is for Brass 1858's on the front of the mantle and I want a nice brass trimmed musket for above the mantle. What kind of Musket would have brass trim around the same time period as the '58 pistols? Anyone know of a good source for a non firing Replica? Or is this Dumb and should I get one that can be taken down and fired on Occasion ? Because SWMBO has no Idea they make non firing Replicas LOL
Old January 9, 2012, 05:50 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

I have built two cases...

.....for the wall with glass fronts. I have sixteen revolvers in those cases.

The rest are wrapped up in socks.

First one is in a sittng area in the bedroom.

Second one is in my home office.
Old January 9, 2012, 05:54 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

Here are the cases with the fronts on.

First the office.

Next the sitting area

Old January 9, 2012, 06:39 AM   #4
deerslayer303

Sweet, I like those cases. Which I was thinking I would have some kind of case to put them in to keep them dust free, but the face of my mantle is only so wide. So I guess I will be dusting them off quite regular.
Old January 9, 2012, 07:20 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

DS303

Thanks.

More cases are in the offing but I need to find a place in the house to mount them.
Old January 9, 2012, 08:38 AM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
What kind of Musket would have brass trim around the same time period as the '58 pistols?
There were no brass framed 58 Remingtons, they're a modern day fantasy piece. A P53 Enfield has brass furniture from the same time period the 58's were used.
Old January 9, 2012, 09:26 AM   #7
deerslayer303

Quote:
There were no brass framed 58 Remingtons, they're a modern day fantasy piece. A P53 Enfield has brass furniture from the same time period the 58's were used.
Good to know, but they still purdy Thanks for the tip on the Musket. Looking in Dixie's paper, I think I might have to go with a non firing Replica, Don't think I want to drop close to a grand on a wall hanger.
Old January 9, 2012, 09:58 AM   #8
Gehrhard

No pics, but...

I have a Martini-Henry with NCO's sword bayonet over the mantle. One holder secretly locks the gun at the wrist, preventing it from being slid back and forth which also means it is locked to the wall toward the muzzle.

I also have an unfired brass-framed 12" barreled Rem. .58 "buffalo" on display in a wooden chest/reloading stand on a piano table in the same living room. It also has a fairly inconspicuous plastic trigger guard (the kind used when guns are shipped that use the same spanner key as the wall-mount above).
Old January 9, 2012, 10:17 AM   #9
Rifleman1776

Most of my guns, mostly traditional muzzle loaders, are in the safe.
Only ones on the walls are an inexpensive Colt Navy, brass framed .36 cal., which was a gift, and my Brown Bess musket because it won't fit in the safe.
Old January 9, 2012, 12:56 PM   #10
Hardcase

They hang on the wall in "my" room, but they're not wallhangers.

And my wife made this for me a year or so ago.

Old January 9, 2012, 02:36 PM   #11
Gehrhard

I had a nice wood/glass display case for its Remington Double Derringer. When I sold my city-living brother-in-law a refinished Trapdoor I eventually gave him a box of #4 .410's and five .45-70's in that case with a note: "in case of emergency, break glass."

The latter was for presentation purposes only and he was supposed to give it back, but, that was probably close to 15 years ago...
Old May 20, 2012, 12:12 PM   #12
jlb43

Doc

Reeeeeeaal nice displays!

Have you ever had any of your guns rotate towards the glass like maybe if the case got bumped? I have a couple of small revolvers in small cases and used ultra fine black wire to mount them. It was a giant PITA to get them positioned properly and would prefer using just pegs the next time, if the guns will stay put. Since you have done a few I figured you would be the guy to know.

JB