The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 9, 2012, 11:45 AM   #1
tr6driver

Musket Caps

Ordered an Armi Sport 1861 Springfield. Minie balls available on GunBroker. Where does one buy Musket Caps? I am in Victorville, Ca. Looking to buy somewhere so I don't have to pay Hazmat shipping. Also read granulation sizing on black powder changes in the 1900's. FFF or Pyrodex P can be used in muskets. Is this true? Can't find Goex anywhere either. Musket should be here by Friday. Would like to be ready. Help !!
Old May 9, 2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Andy Griffith

I have no idea in your area, but a quick google search came up with Victor Valley Shooters and reloading. Any place that stocks reloading supplies (primers) either may have them in stock, or they can order them for you on their next order of primers.

I'd do a google search and just place a few phone calls and emails- far better than driving only to find they don't have what you need.
Old May 9, 2012, 12:48 PM   #3
pvt.Long

you can go to dixiegunworks or google civil war sutlers.
Old May 9, 2012, 06:06 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

Check out the link page on the NSSA (North-South Skirmish Assoc.) web site. I can't help you with a local supplier but you might consider buying them in quantity - i.e. 1,000 or more at a time. Unfortunately, we all have to put up with the hazmat thing . . . . damn I long for the "good old days" before all of the crap went on to cause such things.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old May 9, 2012, 07:06 PM   #5
tr6driver

Andy,

I was in Victor Valley last week. Do not have any, distributor quit. Will be at least a month. I see that happening a lot. Daves in San Berdo has none and no Goex. Does not know if they will carry anymore. I have been told that the #11 mag cap from CCI is hotter than their current musket cap. I can buy a new replacement nipple that will accept this cap. Anyone have any thoughts about that? I can get #11 Mags from Bass Pro. May be my best option at this time.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:03 PM   #6
arcticap

Many Bass Pro Shops also stock Goex black powder but one may need to ask for it.

The Apple Valley Gun Club in Victorville, CA is a NMLRA charter member club (National Muzzle Loader Rifle Association). They have a contact person that may be able to help you find musket caps or powder.

Quote:
Club: Apple Valley Gun Club
P.O. Box 786
Victorville, CA 92393
760-245-6034

http://www.nmlra.org/clubs.asp?WhichState=CA
And there may be other NMLRA clubs in your area on that list too.

http://www.nmlra.org/clubs.asp?WhichState=CA

Here's a list of SASS (Single Action Shooting Society) affiliated clubs in CA.
A local one may be able to help you find powder and caps.

http://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_l...ate=California

Last edited by arcticap; May 10, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old May 10, 2012, 03:37 AM   #7
zippy13

Head up to the Apple Valley Gun Club this weekend (north end of town, across I-15 from the HoJo Express). They are having their "Mountain Man Experience" 11th to 13th. From their flyer, it seems they expect some vendors. You might be able to pick up all sorts of stuff.

For your Springfield, you may wish something coarser than FFFg or Pyrodex P (P for pistol). Real black powder is getting hard to find in the stores because of the revised NFPA storage requirements. Luckily, there are several substitutes available. You'll probably be able to get tons of loading info at AVGC this weekend.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:09 AM   #8
mykeal

What NFPA standard was recently revised that applied to black powder???
Old May 10, 2012, 10:08 AM   #9
Jbar4Ranch

I recently picked up an Armi-Sport 1861 myself - $400 on consignment and appears brand new, but missing the forward sling swivel for some reason.

Three of the four gun stores in my little town of Helena carry musket caps; 3F is fine, but 2F is more correct to the period. Minie's shoot very well through mine with the original load of 60 grains. Bumping it up to 90 grains opened the groups considerably. Patched round balls shoot well from 60 grains up to 120 grains, but are slightly better at the lower loadings.

SASS 47015
Old May 10, 2012, 10:50 AM   #10
zippy13

Quote:
What NFPA standard was recently revised that applied to black powder???
NFPA 495, Chapter 14, 2010 Edition
The change doesn't apply directly to black powder, but increases the allowable stored quantities of smokeless powder. Consequently, the merchant gets more bang from his powder storage dollar by having more smokeless and less (or no) black powder.

Of interest to handloaders, residential storage of primers has been increased to 150,000 if maintained in U.S. DOT 1.4S containers (cases of 5,000 are typically labeled 1.4S).