The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 8, 2012, 05:23 AM   #1
DavidB2

Removing rusty finger prints from 1861 Springfield?

I made the mistake of handling my 1861 Springfield without wiping it down with oil. Now I have rusty finger prints on part of the barrel. What is the best way to restore the lustre and remove these finger prints? I have already tried steel wool and got some of it off; but more help is needed. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old May 8, 2012, 05:35 AM   #2
Sport45

Read this thread.

I trust anything the first two posters have to say about metal finishes.
Old May 8, 2012, 10:08 AM   #3
maillemaker

I believe the 1861 Springfield is a firearm with a "bright" barrel finish (not blued), correct?

If so, the fix is "easy". Use a mild abrasive with progressively finer grit until the rust is gone and you have matched the finish of the rest of the barrel.

Steve
Old May 8, 2012, 12:39 PM   #4
straightcut

Monel Wool

It's very easy to scratch the surrounding bluing with Scotchbrite or steel wool. I use this product: http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/ It's similar to steel wool, except made of an alloy, monel. The monel is harder than rust, but softer than bluing.

Best of luck!
Old May 8, 2012, 12:54 PM   #5
DavidB2

Never-Dull

What about using Never Dull on 1861 Springfield?
Old May 8, 2012, 01:37 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

If the 1861 Springfield is an original or a good replica, it is not blued, so maillenmaker is correct.

600-1000 grit emery paper should remove the rust marks; next time, keep the barrel oiled.

Jim
Old May 8, 2012, 04:46 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

It's called "patina" . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old May 9, 2012, 11:09 AM   #8
Fingers McGee

http://www.rb-treasures.com/product3.html

RB17 is the best rust remover I've ever found. It also removes built up lead and powder fouling as well as regrowing hair

OK, that last part might be stretching it a little; but RB17 is some good stuff. I've used it for going on 20 years or so.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 9, 2012, 06:10 PM   #9
bedbugbilly

Whatever happened to just using steel wool, oil and elbow grease? Once a year I polish up my rifled musket with the above and it seems to work just fine - it's kept my rifled musket looking good for many years.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old May 9, 2012, 10:25 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'm with bed bug billy. Steel wool (0000) will do it. Simple and old fashioned. Afterwards treat with Rig gun grease or, if it'll never be fired, with Rennaisance Wax.