The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 26, 2012, 07:14 AM   #1
chaz12

Chato's Land movie

I watched this movie recently, and I thought the rifles that everyone carried were somewhat odd looking. They appeared to be muskets, but they were short, almost carbine length. I'm not very familiar with muskets, so I did some looking online.

They appear to all be using something very similar to the enfield 1860 musketoon, 58 caliber, but overall length only about 45 inches. Seems like an odd choice for a western movie, but the movie was set in the time frame shortly after the Civil war. Most men also carried colt navies which would be consistent with the muskets. One man appears to have an 1873 colt, although I didn't get real clear look at it. The other thing I noticed about the pistols was that everyone's holster appeared virtually identical. Mexican single or double loop style. Not the typical looking cowboy movie holster at all. Somebody did their homework on this movie and was trying to create a different visual look. They didn't go so far as to show people reloading, but in one scene you do see a guy replacing the ramrod before firing.

Chaz
Old April 26, 2012, 08:41 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'm going to have to check out that flick.
Old May 6, 2012, 03:48 PM   #3
CameronP

That is one of he movies I can watch at least once a year.
Charles Bronson does a fine job.