The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 26, 2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Moloch

.54 long(er) range load

I'm working on a long range load for 150yds+ for my .54 1:48 twist but I don't have access to a chronograph - I just wondered if this load would stay supersonic at 100yds.

35'' barrel, powder swiss 3FG, 70 grain, 380 grain maxi ball. (3 grooves)

Any rough guesses?
Old April 27, 2012, 12:32 AM   #2
Sure Shot Mc Gee

.54 long(er) range load

Have a question. Why 3FFF? As common practice is the use of 2FF in a 54. I'm not saying it can't be done. But again it is hard to estimate speed on an unusual recipe request. I do wish you luck in your search and with your Longer Range Load.
Old April 27, 2012, 12:54 AM   #3
arcticap

The author Sam Fadala wrote about using 3F for hunting large African game with big bore black powder rifles along with the founder of Navy Arms Val Forgett. Fadala touted about loading 3F in just about every caliber muzzle loader, especially for hunting.

According to Wikipedia:

Quote:
Val J. Forgett, Jr., (July 31, 1930 – November 25, 2002) Founder of Navy Arms Company, Inc. (1956-present) and internationally recognized as the "father of the modern replica firearms business". Forgett created over 100 different replica firearms models in his lifetime. Forgett was President of the National Firearms Museum, Chairman of the United States International Muzzle Loading Team, leading the U.S. to five consecutive World Championships, a feat unmatched to this day. A big game hunter who was recognized by Safari Club International (SCI) as the first person in over 100 years to take the African "Big Five" (Lion, Leopard, Elephant, Rhino and Cape Buffalo) with a muzzle loading rifle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Val_Forgett

Last edited by arcticap; April 27, 2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old April 27, 2012, 03:57 AM   #4
Moloch

I'm only using what works for me, I know that most people say that anything larger than .45 needs 2F powder - I've found out that the higher pressure 3F works better with conicals that rely on expansion to engage the rifling. In all of my rifles 3 DF works better, .58 springfield with minie-ball, Hawken with maxi-ball etc. (pure soft lead conicals that can be scratched with the fingernail), it even burns much cleaner, I get noticeably worse results with slower burning powders like 2F.
Though I wouldn't use 3F with patch & ball.

I also converted a fellow shooter to 3F and it improved the accuracy of his rifle.

Quote:
I do wish you luck in your search and with your Longer Range Load
Thank you!

Last edited by Moloch; April 27, 2012 at 04:02 AM.
Old April 27, 2012, 07:41 PM   #5
B.L.E.

Using the 15 ft-lb of kinetic energy per grain of black powder rule of thumb, I calculate about 1150 fps at the muzzle.

I had to go to 90 grains of powder in a .45 cal rifle using 220 grain Maxi balls before the rifle would group. Only 70 grains is an awfully light load for a .54.

The ballistic coefficient for Maxi balls is better than for round balls, but only barely. To still be supersonic at 150 yards is going to take a real butt stomper of a load.
Old April 30, 2012, 10:25 AM   #6
mikthestick

check presures

Sam Fedala's BP loading manual: Nowhere does it give a load of 3F for elongated 54cal bullets. The 3f loads are for balls, but 60grs of 3f will produce more pressure than 60grs of 2F. as long as the safe pressure for the gun is not exceeded all should be well.
Old April 30, 2012, 11:35 AM   #7
ocharry

you really want to shoot this gun at longer ranges???

change the sights to a rear tang peep,,,let the heavy bullet work its magic,,it will get the job done if you can get it on target

that bullet will probably go through an elk at 250yrds running along at the 900 to 1000 fps

what is a 54 conical weigh in at 425-480gr

i shot a buffalo at 325yrd with my 45-70,, bullet was 480gr soft lead,,leaving the muzzle at 1150fps,,i retrieved the bullet under the off side skin,,had she been 50 yrds closer i have no doubt it would have passed through her,,,i have never retrieved a bullet from an elk or deer

its the bullet weight,,,you just have to get it on target

change the sights

my .02

ocharry