The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 8, 2010, 09:05 AM   #1
Uncle Buck

.45 LC Beretta Stampede

I have the above mentioned pistol (Looks like a rifle to me) and when I shoot it it spits lead and powder between the cylinder and the forcing cone.

I shoot .452 diameter lead bullets out of it. (Round nose, semi wad cutters, different weights.)

Is this just common with this gun, or is is something I need to explore further?

Do I chamfer the forcing cone, will that make a difference? If I slug the barrel, what should I see as a result, size wise? Does the cylinder gap need to be adjusted using a shim of some kind?

I would be very interested in your ideas and suggestions.
Old January 8, 2010, 11:06 AM   #2
hickstick_10

Check your cylinder gap first, with an automotive feeler gauge (those things for sparkplugs), what your looking for is excessive gap (like 0.015)

Next try a range rod to see if your bore is inline with your chambers, this is a brass rod machined a couple thou under your bore diameter, drop it down the bore and it should go all the way into the cylinder.

First and foremost though, give your gun a REAL good cleaning and try shooting again.

All revolvers flash around the cylinder gap, its just the nature of the beast. Try shooting a 44 mag at night and see what happens :barf:

edited to add: check your chamber throats, some like to use vernier calipers but IMHO pin gauges, or split ball gauges and a micrometer is preferable. Or just take the cylinder to a machinist you might know and get him to check the throats.

Last edited by hickstick_10; January 8, 2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old January 8, 2010, 09:39 PM   #3
PetahW

[it spits lead and powder between the cylinder and the forcing cone.]

I would advise against shooting it further, until it's been properly checked and repaired.

You might be able to get that done under warranty.

[try a range rod to see if your bore is inline with your chambers, this is a brass rod machined a couple thou under your bore diameter, drop it down the bore and it should go all the way into the cylinder.]

FWIW, a range rod has to be a precision fit in the bore, and EACH chamber must align with the bore when it's indexed as when firing.
When one or more chambers are out of alignment, it usually indicates an issue with those ratchet teeth.
If ALL are out, the issue is usually with the pawl or cylinder stop.

Old January 8, 2010, 10:59 PM   #4
mpwmont

I noticed my stampede has almost no cone at all. The barrel just starts with no cone like my rugers. Doesn't spit but I've wondered if this is normal.