The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old April 29, 2016, 06:59 PM   #1
nodule

Most guns banned by 2025??

What is the likelihood that by 2025, right at the end of Hillary's 8 years, that the majority of all firearms will be banned, or some form of confiscation beginning? With the Supreme Court VERY likely going far left liberal with the future appointment of probably 3 liberal judges, are we doomed and on borrowed time?

I would appreciate thoughtful, mature responses!

Thanks!
Old April 29, 2016, 07:31 PM   #2
K_Mac

I think the likelihood is very low. Speculating about the end of life as we know it serves no useful purpose.
Old April 29, 2016, 07:43 PM   #3
ronl

To begin with you make an assumption that indeed Clinton is elected, which may very well not be the case. If Clinton is elected, I would expect her to run into the same wall that Obama hit concerning firearms, and that proved a difficult wall to climb. They could ban firearms, but compliance would be another story, as it is now in NY and Conn. As far as SCOTUS is concerned, especially in view of it's recent proclivity to render judgements as to their "feelings", and not the actual laws as written, anything can happen.
Old April 29, 2016, 07:58 PM   #4
SSA

How long does it usually take to repeal one of the original Constitutional Amendments?
Old April 29, 2016, 08:06 PM   #5
jdc1244

Quote:
What is the likelihood that by 2025, right at the end of Hillary's 8 years, that the majority of all firearms will be banned, or some form of confiscation beginning?
None of this is going to happen, gun ‘confiscation’ in particular.
Old April 29, 2016, 08:19 PM   #6
rickyrick

It will be a war of attrition. No confiscation on the federal level. States and local jurisdictions will fall.

No need to repeal an amendment, they'll just ignore it. It's gone way past infringement long ago.

Mrs. Clinton will most likely be president. She is anti gun and will most likely get to pick several Supreme Court justices.
Old April 29, 2016, 09:48 PM   #7
ms6852

It will never happen, this action would very likely cause another civil revolution, and that means that those that do not like firearms would literally have to take arms.
Old April 29, 2016, 09:55 PM   #8
rickyrick

Most gun owners will comply to any new legislation as everyone always does... No civil revolting will happen. A few holdouts that will hide their guns. Compliance is the way of the law abiding citizen. Gun owners are the most law abiding citizens around. We've always complied.
Old April 29, 2016, 10:38 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

I agree that there will be no confiscation. Gun owners seem to like to think that there will be a gun roundup and things will go south when that happens.

It surely would go south IF that happened. Which is precisely why it never will. The laws will be passed. Many (most, in all likelihood) will turn their guns in.

There will be no vigorous enforcement to find the ones who don't. There's no percentage in it and considerable risk. The gun owners who don't comply will be worn down slowly. Kids will let something slip at school. Exes will turn in their ex-significant others out of spite. A contractor will see something they shouldn't during a remodel. Over time they will get them all, or enough so that it doesn't matter. They'll serve the warrant while you're at work so there's no chance for you to do something rash.

Some may escape entirely. But what's the point of having guns you can't use, or even admit you own?

There won't ever be an clear point in time where gun owners will see an obvious opportunity to stand up en-masse and fight active confiscation efforts with force. The people on the other side aren't stupid and it would be stupid for them to structure the enforcement operation so that it turned ugly. It won't happen with a bang, it will be done cleanly and without offering opportunities for armed resistance.

If you really want to fight, now is the time and the way is by being active in politics, by letting others know what is at stake--and MOST of all by voting intelligently.

Yeah, that's not as cool as taking an opportunity to thump your chest and tell your buddies how you're going to fight to the end when they come for your guns. But things are going to be won and lost, for the most part, by learning how to run the system, not by shooting back.
Old April 29, 2016, 10:57 PM   #10
nodule

oK

So most here agree that guns WILL eventually be banned in our lifetime?? Say within the next 10 years or so?
Old April 29, 2016, 11:09 PM   #11
SSA

No. Not a chance. No way. Nobody could possibly believe that 350 million guns could be banned from the US in the next 10 years.
Old April 29, 2016, 11:18 PM   #12
TXAZ

No, guns will not be banned by 2025. You may pay a $1000 tax in Northern Mariana Island (You had to work with them to understand it) but then they deserve that. And maybe in Cali too.

And I wouldn't make the assumption that the next president likes pant suits. It's a long time to November, and as past elections have shown, a lot can happen.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old April 29, 2016, 11:30 PM   #13
P71pilot

I agree that Hillary will win, as I believe it to be pre-set up and the current "election" to be a haze of smoke. Anyways, I think that her and her team of anti-freedom anti Constitution will attempt to ban guns, however I have hope that Americans (particularly those whose job it would be to carry out the laws/statutes) will see that they are a nescissary part of life especially for a free "American" way of life. Us gun owners won't give up our guns without a fight, and the police who enforce the laws (statutes) will not be able to enforce such an injustice.
Old April 29, 2016, 11:34 PM   #14
cslinger

Nope. I have seen a HUGE increase in new shooters. Even if a portion of these folks vote it will have an impact.

There will always be horrible statistical outliers as far as violence goes. Guns or not. Honestly I think we have already seen a shift in thought in this regard with more folks talking about how do we stop or limit these folks from doing these things.

Sure there will always be true zealots looking to disarm the law abiding for their own gain but the reality is the left and right seem to be coming closer together in our thoughts in how to mitigate crime and tragedy. We are not there yet but seem to be heading in the right direction.

Take the smart gun thing. Of course it will be used in the short run to disarm the populace by those seeking to do so but in the long wrong (devils advocate here) would you turn down a 100% or at least as mechanically reliable as "dumb gun" arm that you could easily code to who you want but no others? Today, this second yes because it doesn't exist. Tomorrow maybe I dunno.

I am a firm believer in that there are people who actively want to take our rights away and they should be fought tooth and nail at every turn. I am also a believer that there are a great majority of folks who want pretty much the same thing, we just don't agree on how to get there. Those people seem to be moving closer together in thought. It is these people we need to discuss with as they, like us want to stop the next crazy mass shooting or stop the next innocent killed in a drive by, something we want as well. It is these folks that we will be able to hammer out good plans that may address the issues amenable to both sides.

Point is do your part. Vote, teach your new gun owners both the mechanics and politics and spend time to find the common ground with left leaning gun owners. The end goal should be to take firearms out of the equation totally so we can hold our politicians feet to the fires that matter to all of us vs these wedge issues they use to divide us.

So teach a new ahooter, have a level conversation with those that don't agree with you, do what you can to focus all of us on the issues that matter and their root causes and take guns off the list.

At the end of the day you win this fight through the middle ground, through voting, through focusing on the root causes. Not with rifles. You win by showing those around you that yeah I have a bazillion guns and ammo. Not because I am a door kicker not because I am waiting for an assless chaps mad max scenario, not because I am itchin to take on the big gov or blue helmets. Simply because you like to shoot. You store ammo because it's cheaper and more relaxing able that way. You keep a loaded gun or carry to provide a last ditch defense to your family or child no different then you would dive on top of them to protect them from flying glass in a storm or push them in a closet. Everybody understands these concepts. Use that to your advantage. Use your yuppie normalness to your advantage. Use your race, your sex etc to your advantage.

Shoot safe, be safe, always be an emissary.

My two cents but hey I don't know squat.
Old April 30, 2016, 05:23 AM   #15
Tom Servo
Staff

OK, this thread has numerous fatal problems.

The first is that we don't do electoral politics. The second is that it's based on pure speculation at this point. The third is that hypothetical doomsday scenarios, political or physical, are off topic.

If a real situation presents itself, we can discuss it.
Closed Thread