The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 25, 2001, 11:39 AM   #1
Kaylee

First ever hunting trip!

Didn't get so much as a decent sight picture 'till I was in my truck and on the little curving road home, and you know what? I didn't care in the slightest! (heck, less work that way)

Got to spend most of a week wondering in a friend's hundred acres of mountains, and never had a better time in my life. At one point, I was looking straight down a wide swath of cleared land, forest all around, wet from the threatening rain, watching little curls of mist in the mountains opposite.

Nothing ever felt so right.

Thanks guys.. hope to meet some of y'all out there in the mountains one of these days.

- K
Old November 25, 2001, 12:12 PM   #2
Oakleaf

Another example of the prejudice against hunters/ shooters.

Kaylee has been enticed to try this evil 'substance'.... and is clearly seriously hooked after purely one dose.

If this were crack he would have a legion of support centres, doctors and consellors. Instead this poor chap will now have to suffer a lifetime of addiction. The system failed you.

You may now dispense with calenders - a quickening of the pulse and hollow knot in the stomach will occur about two months before your next hunting season - automatically.

Welcome to...

Seriously, your brief lines hit all the right notes - you are hooked. I wish you a long, happy and safe enjoyment of the outdoors.
Old November 25, 2001, 12:20 PM   #3
Borf

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom;
and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money it values more, it
will lose that, too.
-- W. Somerset Maugham
Old November 25, 2001, 02:22 PM   #4
ATTICUS

Sounds like you learned the most important thing - It's the PROCESS that matters! Trophy's and meat are secondary (unless your hungry of course) but ya always need to enjoy and improve the process. I'll be enjoying same at first light tomorrow.
Old November 25, 2001, 02:38 PM   #5
C.R.Sam

Cool Lady Kaylee. So glad you had such a nice experience.

Sam
Old November 25, 2001, 02:46 PM   #6
Fred Hansen

I assume you were hunting in Idaho. When I'm hunting there, I feel like I'm hunting in heaven.
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old November 25, 2001, 05:20 PM   #7
Jay Baker

Hey, Kaylee, I know what you mean. Where were you hunting?? My buddy and I were hunting elk/deer in the Sawtooth Zone, both in Bear Valley, and the Scriver Creek/ Lightning Ridge areas above Garden Valley.

Spectacular country. J.B.
Old November 26, 2001, 12:08 AM   #8
Kaylee

Thanks guys --

God, it was heaven. That night I was getting soaked through, I could only think "if I died right now, I'd go happy."

It was up in the panhandle, about 15 miles or so from Sandpoint. I got a buddy up there who's caretaking a freakin' MANSION in the middle of nowhere up there. So, I got the best of both worlds -- a hundred acres of woods to play in all day and a heated indoor swimming pool to skinny dip in come night.

.. It was a GOOD week.

-K
Old November 26, 2001, 09:19 PM   #9
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Right On, Kaylee!

You have hunted, and grown from the experience. Not killed as yet, but that is only part of the process.

Very happy for you.

Best,
Johnny
Old November 27, 2001, 02:05 AM   #10
J. Parker

Can't wait to experience Idaho. My buddy just got transfered to Boise. Great gun state. Love their attitude.
ATV friendly also from what I understand. Boise National Forest here I come! Best Regards, J. Parker
Old November 27, 2001, 08:33 AM   #11
griz

Welcome to the wonderful world of hunting.

Sometimes I worry about spoiling it by telling folks how great it is, but most just don't get it. They mumble something about wanting to be asleep in a warm bed early in the morning.
Old November 27, 2001, 02:46 PM   #12
Legionnaire

Kaylee,

If that's your response to an unsuccessful hunt, you are truly hooked. When I took my son with me before he reached hunting age, after one full day sitting quietly in a treestand, he said on the way home, "Now I understand why you say you've had a 'good day' even when you come home not having gotten anything." He enjoyed all the squirrels, birds, weather changes . . . all the things that make the outdoors great, and all the things that one often doesn't take time to appreciate when out for a few minutes. As has been said, one doesn't "hunt to kill." Rather, one "kills to have hunted." Welcome aboard.