The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 19, 2014, 09:15 AM   #26
osbornk

Quote:
Why should a bolt action be cheaper? A blow back semi-auto is one of the simplest rifle actions in existance, the only thing simpler would be a full auto blowback action that fires from an open bolt.
I don't think there is anything simpler than a single shot 22. When I was a kid, it was by far the cheapest rifle you could buy. I got one around 1960 for Christmas. It was a J. C. Higgins single shot bolt action that retailed for $10.88. My Dad paid $29.00 for single shot Iver Johnson shotgun around the same time.
Old May 19, 2014, 10:55 AM   #27
tangolima

Hmm... A bolt gun requires tighter tolerance. The locking lug mostly needs to be fitted to the receiver for proper headspacing. The gun will develop excessive headspace due to wear and peening. Auto loader has it bolt pushed forward by a spring. Part tolerance can be sloppier. There is practically no headspace issue down the road.

A single-shot actually is the same as a repeater. A lot of models just plug the well of a repeater by a piece of sheet metal. It is quite common to see a single-shot being sold at marginally less money than its repeater counterpart.

An auto generally has better value. More gun in a buck.

-TL