The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 1, 2009, 02:02 AM   #1
cek

Caliber .30 Match - 1957 - Frankford Arsenal

I've had this ammo can of "Caliber .30 Match" sitting around since my dad died. He was a serious competitive shooter in the '50s and '60s (I have his amazing collection of National Match tropies).

He sold off his' M1's before he died so sadly I didn't get eny of 'em (my memory is faint, but knowning my dad's passion for M1's they were off the charts top notch).

Anyay, another thread on M1 ammo, reminded me that I had this can and made me wonder if it's "special" in some way.

There are 11 boxes of 20 rounds each. They are unopened and the ammo can is marked

240 CAL .30 CARTRIDGES
MATCH T291
BULK IN 8RD CLIPS
LOT LC 12002

However, the can has a label over the picture of a clip that reads "boxes" and the boxes contained therin do NOT contain clips and are of a different lot. And as you can see from the picture the lot # has been scratched off (all the boxes).

If this stuff is super valuable to someone I'd consider a sell/trade (ooh, for an M1!!! <g>). If not I'll probably just keep it until I get that M1 (not on my short list right now) and shoot it.

Thoughts? Comments?
"My Constitutional right to bear arms is, to me, the most significant example of my American heritage of individual freedom and human dignity. Such a right implies that my Government trusts me and, in turn, is worthy of my trust." - Charles E. 'Ted' Kindel (My dad), Gun Digest #19 1965
Old September 1, 2009, 12:49 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Especially valuable? No. Superb shooting ammunition in any rifle of that caliber? Yes. The can was originally painted for storage of clipped ammo; the labels were just so folks would ignore the painted symbol and know what was in the can.

My condolences on losing your father, but he knew good ammo.

Jim
Old September 1, 2009, 01:23 PM   #3
cek

Sweet. Thanks for the info Jim.

Now if I could just track down those Garands he sold and buy them back :-).
"My Constitutional right to bear arms is, to me, the most significant example of my American heritage of individual freedom and human dignity. Such a right implies that my Government trusts me and, in turn, is worthy of my trust." - Charles E. 'Ted' Kindel (My dad), Gun Digest #19 1965
Old September 1, 2009, 11:17 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

If you shoot it, be very careful.

The military was still loading certain batches of match ammo with corrosive primers and some with corrosive AND mercuric primers as late as the mid 1960s.

If the rounds are so loaded the boxes SHOULD be market.

Corrosive ammo requires the rifle and gas system to be cleaned with a water-based material to dissolve the priming salts that could lead to rusting.

Mercuric primed ammuntion requires DISPOSAL of the cartridge cases - they MUST NOT be reloaded.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 2, 2009, 05:44 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

1957 USGI ammo should all be non-corrosive. Here is the scoop:

http://www.odcmp.org/1101/USGI.pdf

Jim