The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 20, 2000, 07:26 AM   #1
Postman

I've just ordered my first shotgun and now I need to know about ammuntition and cleaning.

First, could anyone break down the basic procedure for cleaning a Remington 870; tools, solvents, ammount of lubricant and whatever else might be relevant?

Second, ammunition. I have heard of buck shot and bird shot and know about the different pellet diameters, but what are magnum loads? In the same vein, what are tactical loads. I feel I would be leaning towards the tactical loads for HD, can I buy them at Wally World or is there a good sorce online? Is one type of ammo cleaner than another, or lesdistructive to the barrel? I know nothing about slugs.

Anything else the you feel would help me as a newbe to the world of shotguns would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 20, 2000, 01:25 PM   #2
Buckeye61

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Postman:
I've just ordered my first shotgun and now I need to know about ammuntition and cleaning.

First, could anyone break down the basic procedure for cleaning a Remington 870; tools, solvents, ammount of lubricant and whatever else might be relevant?

Second, ammunition. I have heard of buck shot and bird shot and know about the different pellet diameters, but what are magnum loads? In the same vein, what are tactical loads. I feel I would be leaning towards the tactical loads for HD, can I buy them at Wally World or is there a good sorce online? Is one type of ammo cleaner than another, or lesdistructive to the barrel? I know nothing about slugs.

Anything else the you feel would help me as a newbe to the world of shotguns would be greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

I'm fairly new to shotguns myself but feel I have a decent handle on things. Someone with more experience should be able to fill in any holes that I leave.

Cleaning- most gun shops will sell a package cleaning kit that will have all of the essentials in it. In addition to that, I would highly suggest picking up a bulk bag (often in 250 or 500 count)of cleaning patches. The little box of them that came with the cleaning kit I bought lasted for only 2 cleans.

As for the actual cleaning, detailed instructions are usually included in the cleaning kit and in the owner's manual. The basics I have learned: Detach the barrel...using the rod and bore brush that has been soaked with the solvent run the brush up and down the barrel 10-15 times...then use patches with the solvent on them and using the attachment(should be included in the kit)keep running them up and down the barrel till one comes out clean...then do the same using 1 or 2 dry patches. I always clean the rest of it by hand....when you're done with the cleaning part if memory serves you drop a couple drops of oil on one of the cleaning patches and rub that on all metal surfaces. Then every so often take it apart and follow instructions for lubrication of all necessary parts.

#2- Ammo. As I have learned here asking which is the right ammo will start a war. I can only tell you what has been explained to me by a number of people. It all depends on what you intend to use the ammo for, and then there are different consideraions for each purpose. I'm really only versed on HD choices. Pretty much everyone has suggested going with no bigger than #4 shot as it should not go through walls and pose a threat to your neighbors.

Beyond that someone with more experience will have to fill you in on ammo questions. Hope this helps a little bit.

~kevin~

[This message has been edited by Buckeye61 (edited May 20, 2000).]
Old May 20, 2000, 01:55 PM   #3
Glamdring

Birdshot for HD &lt;sigh&gt; to each their own I suppose.

I personally don't endorse or recomend birdshot for home defense period. If you can afford it I would recomend Federal Tactical 9 pellet OO buck to start with in a pump or double shotgun. Other wise if you go with buckshot in a 12 gauge stick with OO buck or No 4 buck in the begining. Because they are more common and that will simplify things.

If you do go with birdshot go for lead BB, No.2, or No.4. IMO.

One very good book on shotguns for HD is "The Tactical Shotgun" by Gabe Suarez the ISBN is 0-87364-898-6 and your local bookstore can order it for you. Mr. Suarez visits TFL from time to time I believe.
For shotguns the "tactical" loads are reduced power and thus reduced recoil. They are available in both buckshot and slug.
The tactical buckshot is also tweaked (buffered, hardened shot, etc) a bit to pattern tighter in most guns.

You will not be able to get tactical loads at wall marts and such. Fact is you may even have to order it, depending on your location.

You will need to pattern test you buck or bird shot loads to see how they perform out of your gun at different ranges.

Magnum loads in shotguns have more shot (ie heavier) at a lower velocity than a standard load. They will kick more. For home defense magnum rounds offer no real advantage.

Slugs are a single projectile like a rifle or pistol bullet only much bigger. A 12 gauge is ~ .729" which is real close to 3/4 of an inch. Typical 12 gauge slugs weight 1 oz (which is 437.5 grains). Those are the standard slugs. There are also sabot slugs designed for rifled shotgun barrels they use a .50" bullet in a plastic sleeve.

Feel free to email me or ask for clarification. Some people will disagree with my on the birdshot vs buckshot issue, but other than that I think I have stayed on the path of moderation

I prefer sights on my shotgun. I use the Federal tactical 9 pellet OO buck load in my shotgun. I have a 7 shot mag tube loaded with 5 rounds of the OO buck and a buttcuff on the stock with 5 slugs, and the chamber is kept empty. I use different brands for Slug and shot so that they are color coded. Red shells are buckshot and green are slugs.

Watch your 6!

------------------
There can be only one!

[This message has been edited by Glamdring (edited May 20, 2000).]
Old May 20, 2000, 04:33 PM   #4
p l i n k e r

http://www.thefiringline.com/NonCGI/...ML/000307.html
Old May 20, 2000, 06:30 PM   #5
Jeff Thomas

Congrats on buying a quality home defense tool.

1. Find a 'tactical shotgun' course in your area ... weekend, 16 hour courses are usually available. Well worth the money. Ask lots of questions.

2. Consider some minor mod's to your shotgun, before the course. Lots of debate on this ... from my perspective, 18" barrel, sidesaddle (holds 6 more rounds), magazine extension are important basic mod's. I like a SureFire light on the foreend as well, along with ghost ring (peep) sights, but these options are expensive.

3. Lots of debate on ammo. I've decided #1 buck sounds like the best bet, with 2 or 3 slugs on the sidesaddle. See http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm for a discussion of HD shotgun ammunition. 00 buck certainly does the trick, but with more potential over-penetration.

4. Practice at the range, sight in your ghost ring sight (if you get it), and keep asking questions. Realize firearms are a bit of a Ford vs. Chevy, redheads vs. blondes discussion topic ... lots of debate, often relatively little practical difference.

Good luck. Glad to see another person taking responsibility to protect themselves and their family. Regards from AZ

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited May 20, 2000).]
Old May 20, 2000, 08:38 PM   #6
JNewell

A footnote to Glamdring's excellent post. "Tactical" loads are, perhaps counter-intuitively, lower velocity and therefore lower recoil. Oddly enough, LEOs who have to train and qualify with SGs -- or make rapid follow-up shots -- prefer not to be beat to a pulp by the SG. &lt;g&gt; I have a number of boxes of fifteen-year-old 3" mag 00 and 4 buck to prove they're right. &lt;g again&gt;

One of my local dealers does stock Fed Tac loads, but Discount Distributors sells these, too, and very cheaply. For price, service, and selection, Eric the Ammoman (aka Discount Distrib) is unbeatable. Lowest prices, usually ships same day, no extra charges for s&h or credit cards...this guy is a prince. No commercial connection, just lots of good experiences. http://www.ammoman.com