The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old November 2, 2013, 02:42 AM   #1
leadcounsel

Should I trade? 1911 for FAL?

I have a 99% stainless Springfield TRP with 2 mags and walnut checkered grips.

Other person has a DSA SA58 16.25" barrel, carry handle cut receiver, 3 mags, bipod, DSA weaver scope mount, and cheap scope. Seller says it's in very good condition, and the pics support that. I think it's a paratrooper. How can I tell? Are all the short ones paras? How is the recoil and flash on at 16" barrel? Forearm appears NON-ported triangular, with horizontal grooves that run the length. I've never seen these. Again, non-ported. Buttstock is non-humpback. Is that any good, or would it need replacing? Grip is similar to SAW, but not exactly.

I'll likely dump the bipod, and not use the scope (for this anyway). So those aren't worth much to me. More concerned really about the rifle, and I might put an EOTECH or similar retical on it.

I have several 1911s, and while I love this TRP and it's among my best 1911s, it's a safe queen and never gets out to the range.

I have a longer FAL, and it's among my top favorite battle rifles (tied with the M1A really). They were recently $1400 at AIM, and are $1400-1500 on Gunbroker at the moment.

I'm more of a practical guy anyway, and typically give the nod to a battle rifle over a less-than-practical handgun.

I think I'd place the value of the TRP around $1500, right around the same as the FAL. Can anyone chime in to tell me if they agree or disagree.

It comes down to what I prefer, I know. And I'd prefer the FAL. I just don't want to take a hit financially and make a dumb trade, rather than just selling the handgun and buying a DSA and coming out ahead money-wise.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FAL.jpg (60.6 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by leadcounsel; November 2, 2013 at 03:02 AM.
Old November 2, 2013, 09:56 AM   #2
wogpotter

"Para" is a folding stock model, you have a carbine.
Do check POI/POA short barreled FAL's need very low front sights to shoot to POA.
Check functioning as well the shorter barrels (under 18") tend to be very finicky about gas operation.

If you want to take the bipod off you'll need a special tool, a "Castle Nut pliers set"

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old November 2, 2013, 04:06 PM   #3
rduckwor

It looks decent enough. Does it run well? How long it that barrel? Looks shorter than 16" but it could be the angle.

I think you answered your own question. If the TRP is a safe queen, and you want another FAL, you're all set.
Old November 2, 2013, 04:53 PM   #4
wogpotter

Quote:
How long it that barrel? Looks shorter than 16" but it could be the angle.
"a DSA SA58 16.25" barrel"

Old November 3, 2013, 01:00 PM   #5
chris in va

If we get another 'assault rifle ban' scare, the FAL will only increase in value. The 1911 won't.
Old November 3, 2013, 01:07 PM   #6
teeroux

It has the look of a kit gun. None of the parts are the same finish. DSA makes whole guns and recievers.
Old November 3, 2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Jo6pak

How is the recoil and flash on at 16" barrel?
Recoil is a bit more stout than the full length bbl, flash will also be more noticeable. Neither is detrimental IMO

Buttstock is non-humpback. Is that any good, or would it need replacing?
The buttstock should be fine if you are ditching the scope and going back to the iron sights. If you do mount another optic, the added height will mean a chin instead of cheek weld to align the eye. This would be similar to an M1A with original stock mounting optics. Again, not really detrimental once you get used to it.

The stubby FALs are less reliable than full length or even 18" versions, but as most FALS are as reliable as anvils, the bit of drop may not be an issue. If it runs fine now, I have no reason to believe it won't continue to put rounds down range with boring regularity.

I'd make the trade, but then I'm more of a rifle guy than a handgun guy anyway. Afterall, a handgun is just a means of fighting your way to a real gun
Old November 3, 2013, 08:19 PM   #8
Stevie-Ray

I'd make that trade. As far as recoil-adjust the action so it barely spits out the brass and it'll be a pussycat.
Old November 4, 2013, 08:27 AM   #9
wogpotter

Actually a well-tuned FAL should drop the fired brass 10~15' to your 2 o'clock position.

Old November 4, 2013, 08:44 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

I wouldn't but I think it's a fair trade. Especially if the TRP doesn't see much if any use.
Old November 4, 2013, 09:53 PM   #11
poortrader

That looks like a STG and not a SA58. STGs were built on DSA lower. I have a DSA STG Para and only the STGs have a bipod and that kind of handguard.

NRA Life Member
Old November 9, 2013, 03:42 AM   #12
Tejicano

That would be a tough trade for me to consider. I already have seven FAL's which I built to the spec's I wanted. I also have six 1911-types - with most of another from parts swapped out in earlier builds.

If this is a DSA built rifle I would not be concerned about reliability from the short barrel. They pretty much know what they are doing and I trust they would have done this right. If it was a home build then you might have to sort that out if it wasn't done right.

But if I were in your shoes I would do this deal to have both a long rifle and a carbine.
Old November 9, 2013, 07:02 AM   #13
bushwackeralligator

Poortrader

No, It's "Stupid is as stupid does". Forrest Gump, Please keep the 1911. It is a natural born killer if you learn how to shoot it. If you know how to shoot it you would never give it up ! JMHO
Old November 9, 2013, 11:20 AM   #14
semi_problomatic

He has "several" 1911's.... But only 1 lonely FAL. I think your FAL needs a friend. Personally I think that thing is ugly as sin. Kinda like that dog thats so ugly you just got to love it. Short FAL, ditch the bipod and super sniper attachment .... Drop on some close quarters goodies and run that sucka!

But really people, this should be a lesson in controlling your arms rooms. When you don't lock the cages the machine guns mingle with the black rifles and 3 week later you end up with something like that. I guess he thougt his dad was a sniper cause he sure wears that scope proud.

I'd do it. That rifle just has too much character to pass on. Screw money, follow your liver!
Old November 9, 2013, 09:25 PM   #15
leadcounsel

For a pure value in point I did not make a trade. Evil black rifles have plummeted price recently. I think I can get a new FAL for about 1400 dollars.
Old November 10, 2013, 08:01 PM   #16
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Decision made.
Closed Thread