The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2008, 12:06 AM   #1
new rounder

oilling the press

there is a lot of powder in my dillon 650 , i cleaned out most but was wondering if i should lube it with anything, the manual says nothing on mantainance
Old March 5, 2008, 12:19 AM   #2
somerled

I have a 550B and use powdered graphite around the priming slide and the shellplate. On the ram, I use a small amount of gun grease or oil and wipe off the excess so the powder grains and carbon won't stick to it. I keep a a brush handy to move powder and grit away from where it can impede the works.
Old March 5, 2008, 01:27 AM   #3
tom234

Per Dillon "For lubing the shaft, pul the handle down, apply several large DROPS of motor oil, then cycle the handle up and down to distribute the oil.
Use grease through the holes in the crank and link arm. The maintenance kit includes a large syringe to lube these holes, or you can use a needle fitting on an automotive grease gun , such as for lubing motorcycles, to inject lube through these holes. "
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/Lub...-98-10-109.htm

I just disassembled and cleaned my RL550. I used 30 WT engine oil on the main shaft and moly wheel bearing grease on the linkage pins.
Old March 5, 2008, 07:24 AM   #4
VaFisher

You may want to try EEZOX as it is dry to the touch and or wipe off the excess and it leaves a dry film for lubrication.
Old March 5, 2008, 04:22 PM   #5
BigJimP

The manual has a lot of info on maintenace - not sure why you say that ?

You didn't say where the powder was ? ( under the shell plate, etc ?)